• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce Young arm strength and elasticity

NAS

4 minutes ago, joemac said:

I think hes still trying to figure out the kinda windows he can fit balls into in the NFL.  Its not like he played a ton of snaps in preseason.  Gonna be the same kinda thing Manning and Lawrence experienced their rookie years.  Its a learning process to figure out the things you can get away with at this level vs. college. 

I 100% agree. Losing is always disappointing, but I just remind myself that I put this team just around .500 going into the season.

He will figure out what he can and can’t get away with.  Sorry if I seem like a downer, it’s just that we do this every season where folks buy into all the hype and press releases that this year is going to magically be different on day one.

it’s a process, these things take time, especially with a brand new offense, rookie qb, and an almost a complete overhaul of our skill positions. 

He doesn’t have a top half of the NFL arm strength type of arm. That’s not needed to win. It helps but it’s not the be all end all. Arm strength can cover up bad reads if used right. If Young makes better reads then it’s a non factor. 

These things will get ironed out. 

5 minutes ago, Varking said:

He doesn’t have a top half of the NFL arm strength type of arm. That’s not needed to win. It helps but it’s not the be all end all. Arm strength can cover up bad reads if used right. If Young makes better reads then it’s a non factor. 

These things will get ironed out. 

The list of QB's with massive arms that won tons of playoff games or SB's isn't what you'd think it would be.  Trying to think of the last few "cannons" that were drafted.

Cam, Russell, Cutler, Stafford, Allen, there are tons...big arm doesn't mean squat if you don't know what to do with it, or how to control it.

I don't think that Mahommes has that type of arm, he has an AA Ron arm.

Just now, thefuzz said:

The list of QB's with massive arms that won tons of playoff games or SB's isn't what you'd think it would be.  Trying to think of the last few "cannons" that were drafted.

Cam, Russell, Cutler, Stafford, Allen, there are tons...big arm doesn't mean squat if you don't know what to do with it, or how to control it.

I don't think that Mahommes has that type of arm, he has an AA Ron arm.

Aaron and Mahomes have big arms too. Mahomes and Allen are usually cited as the top 2. 

• Pie 1

Just now, Varking said:

Aaron and Mahomes have big arms too. Mahomes and Allen are usually cited as the top 2. 

They look different to me.  They have wild releases, and multiple platforms where they can still push the ball even when "off" a bit.  Not many have that ability.

However, I don't think they have the type of velocity as a Russell, Cam, Stafford, Marino, Vick, Elway, etc....has/had.  Just my opinion.

If you will notice, PM and AR both drop their balls in, even far down field, not many of those "frozen rope" throws the other guys can make.

I prefer placement over velocity, I'm just saying that "arm strength" isn't the end all be all, and never has been.

1 hour ago, Seltzer said:

I'm not trying to be mean, but I don't think you know what you're talking about here.  This wasn't Cam throwing to Steve Smith or Greg Olsen or hell even Brandon LaFell out there.  Guys were not getting open, plain and simple.  

If you're going to make statements like this, you need film to back it up.  Bryce tried to fit a couple of balls in extremely tight coverage and paid for it.  But you know why he was even attempting that throw- b/c literally no one was getting separation.

You have the right to say whatever nonsensical things you want to say.  But expect some push back b/c this is sheer ignorance.

If you want to dump Bryce after one game (and especially a game where his receivers probably got the least separation of any group in the league), go ahead, but I can't take anything you write on here serious going forward.

No he didn't, he literally didn't see the S either time. 

17 hours ago, Frizzy350 said:

This is the best post I've seen since the game.
It really looked like we handily won the trenches until the turnovers started to pile up, which seemed to have worn the defense down or killed their spirit.

The picks were bad, but I actually like that they happened in the same way and early on.  Bryce is a bright guy and I don't think it will remain a habit.

I really like the clock in Bryce's head - its obvious he's well aware of the amount of pressure he is on any given play and he moves extremely well in the pocket to extend plays.  One thing that always bothered me about Cam was his habit to always bail the pocket on a spin move, then run backwards and rollout.  When it worked it worked, but sometimes Cam would get hit behind the pocket and take sacks for -10 or more yards which killed drives.

I liked Bryce's decisiveness - even when throwing the ball away.  The lack of late game urgency really doesn't concern me yet.  Really felt like the team decided to toss this one away and use it as a learning experience after the third turnover.

What I really did not like seeing was the issues getting the call in and getting to the line.  There was confusion on some plays as well - the fumble involving hubbard comes to mind, flagged for invalid play formation, avoidable delay of game penalties and burned timeouts. The offense has a lot to clean up at the skill positions.

Had a lot trouble getting the hike off through the crowd noise too. Got to get some bass in his voice.