• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The law office of Brown and Burns

Diehardpanth02

When I typed their names together it seemed like a super-powered legal team that sues guys like John Gruden for racial slurs in emails and makes millions doing it. But then I got to thinking, can we afford to put them on retainer? Could that be why we are playing hard ball with Burns? I mean we have got to sign these guys don't we? Otherwise Everytime we enter the court room we will gan ran through.

Which leads to the next question, can we give them top pay for the position and build a complete roster around them?

Edited by Diehardpanth02
  • Flames 1

47 minutes ago, Diehardpanth02 said:

When I typed their names together it seemed like a super-powered legal team that sues guys like John Gruden for racial slurs in emails and makes millions doing it. But then I got to thinking, can we afford to put them on retainer? Could that be why we are playing hard ball with Burns? I mean we have got to sign these guys don't we? Otherwise Everytime we enter the court room we will gan ran through.

Which leads to the next question, can we give them top pay for the position and build a complete roster around them?

With a QB on a rookie deal, yes

We're almost unwatchable now, and I follow the team year round. I don't know how many more games I can watch live. At least we had CMC and he was fun to watch no matter what else happened. And Cam overlapped with him and was before him. And before that it was Steve Smith. We don't have anyone who excites me now. That's not to take away from Burns, but I'm just not liking what I'm seeing overall. There is just no fun in watching, and I don't mean just because we're bad. We're bad AND I don't like watching these players play football for the most part. Yes Burns is fun sometimes, and non-existent at other times. We just don't have the stars we had in the past, and it's becoming boring. The team has been totally sapped of whatever made this fun for all those years in the past. Even when we had no hope of winning a game with Pickles there was still something fun about laughing at him. This just isn't fun anymore.  

• Pie 1

51 minutes ago, Diehardpanth02 said:

Ok so the Huddle doesn't agree with me on this and they never will, but I would have already traded Burns and Brown for high draft picks. I would use those picks to build an elite offense around Young. Only AFTER we had a high octane offense would I look to build up the defense. The defense would cheap, young, and scrappy until i had the time to start building on it. Offense first. That way you protect Young, and you make the games more fun to watch. Defense second. Rhule came in and drafted all defense, and brought in game managing QBs. You saw what happened. Not on my watch.

• Pie 5

4 minutes ago, pantherj said:

Ok so the Huddle doesn't agree with me on this and they never will, but I would have already traded Burns and Brown for high draft picks. I would use those picks to build an elite offense around Young. Only AFTER we had a high octane offense would I look to build up the defense. The defense would cheap, young, and scrappy until i had the time to start building on it. Offense first. That way you protect Young, and you make the games more fun to watch. Defense second. Rhule came in and drafted all defense, and brought in game managing QBs. You saw what happened. Not on my watch.

Yeah, you'll get flamed for this but I wholeheartedly agree with this. 

One issue with our franchise is we can never go all in on anything. Everything is half assed. Look at how the Bengals have built around Burrow, the Chargers around Herbert, the Dolphins around Tua. You. Just. Never. Stop. Adding. Weapons. We have our QB (or so we hope). What our QB does not have is an adequate supporting cast. The stats yesterday are ugly as our receivers created the least separation of any unit in the league yesterday. This is an awful situation to drop a rookie QB into.

And the problem is, if the history of our franchise tells us anything, we'll probably find one above average receiver for him one day and it'll be straight mediocrity around him the rest of his career. I'm at the point where I want every pick to be a pass catcher until we find like five really good ones. Everything else can wait until later.

Selling off the valuable pieces on our team and reinvesting into building an all star cast around Bryce is legitimately a great team building strategy. But we'll never, ever think like that so we just have to hope we stumble ass backwards into maybe a pair of solid receivers really soon.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1

8 minutes ago, pantherj said:

That's fair. But a well rounded team is what it will take to do anything worthwhile in this league. Unfortunately, you can't have one without the other and expect to be any good. Trading one of the two for picks definitely seems like something worth looking into though. But who knows, could end up with Jaycee Horn and never get more than 10 games. It's all a clusterfug 

24 minutes ago, pantherj said:

Oh I agree with you 1000%. Just take a look at our weapons and then compare them to the top offenses in the league. Dolphins have Hill and Waddle. Bills have Diggs and Davis. Chargers have Keenan and Mike Williams. 49ers have Deebo and Aiyuk. Eagles have AJ Brown and Devonta Smith. Chiefs have Kelce. Detroit has Amon Ra St brown and Jameson Williams coming back. Jaguars have Ridley and Kirk. Cowboys have Ceedee Lamb. Bengals have Chase and Higgins. You get the gist. You could argue that WR has dethroned LT in today's modern NFL in terms of importance.

My point is, unless you have a Sean McVay who can scheme nobodies to two 100+ yard games, you aren't going to compete with the best in today's NFL without playmakers on offense. It doesn't matter how many studs you have on defense nowadays, it's not the 2000s anymore. The NFL is literally geared toward high scoring offenses now, and yet we're still so behind paying RBs $25.4 million and dishing out all our assets and money to defense.

Edited by Castavar
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 2

27 minutes ago, Castavar said:

Oh I agree with you 1000%. Just take a look at our weapons and then compare them to the top offenses in the league. Dolphins have Hill and Waddle. Bills have Diggs and Davis. Chargers have Keenan and Mike Williams. 49ers have Deebo and Aiyuk. Eagles have AJ Brown and Devonta Smith. Chiefs have Kelce. Detroit has Amon Ra St brown and Jameson Williams coming back. Jaguars have Ridley and Kirk. Cowboys have Ceedee Lamb. Bengals have Chase and Higgins. You get the gist. You could argue that WR has dethroned LT in today's modern NFL in terms of importance.

My point is, unless you have a Sean McVay who can scheme nobodies to two 100+ yard games, you aren't going to compete with the best in today's NFL without playmakers on offense. It doesn't matter how many studs you have on defense nowadays, it's not the 2000s anymore. The NFL is literally geared toward high scoring offenses now, and yet we're still so behind paying RBs $25.4 million and dishing out all our assets and money to defense.

I'm really hoping Reich and this staff understand this. The days of "defenses win championships" are simply over. It's nothing more than a nostalgic facade of the days of the past. Even the rules are geared towards offense now. None of this is to say you ignore your defense, but we absolutely should solely focus on building the offense right now. 

• Pie 1