• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

QB School: Bryce Young - Week 1 @ Falcons

TheCasillas

8 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

It's pretty obvious he didn't finish the video.

Overall vibe was he missed some opportunities, but he made good reads and decisions throughout the game. Second half there wasn't a ton of separation with the WRs, The second pick JT even said 99% of the time the cross is open, the safety just made one hell of a play.

There is a ton to like about the film, people are just being overly critical because the stat line wasn't great.

I think he watched only the very first snap reviewed.

• Pie 2

22 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

I haven't wrote him off.  I just said I didn't see anything encouraging because we spent a #1 pick on a guy touted for certain traits that were supposed to lend themselves to him not making "rookie mistakes."  And yet, he made more of those mistakes than the other starting QBs in his draft class, taken after him.  His advertised strengths were some of his most glaring weaknesses.  That is not encouraging.  Period.

Sorry I'm not drinking the kool-aid.  I want him to succeed, but that was not what a #1 pick should be playing like, when again, guys at the same position from his class outperformed him in week 1.  And not by a little.  Hoping for the best, but early returns were not good, and people here want to get in their feelings because I refuse to gloss over the fact a #1 pick should be a gamechanger and instead, he looked like just another cog in the wheel...  and not only did he not make game-winning plays, but he is mostly the reason we lost because of the turnovers.

I think your worry is fair, but try to have a little bit of optimistism, in that (very much deserved) jaded Carolina Panther heart.

Judge it off of one game and you have been out on Joe Burrow, Josh Allen, Andrew Luck, John Elway, Troy Aikman, Peyton Manning amongst many others. 

Not saying he will be any of those guys, but there can remain some hope at least till the 6 game mark.

Edited by Jaxel
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

18 minutes ago, OneBadCat said:

Sounds like we're missing Chark and Damiere Byrd pretty badly. Byrd was going to be an underrated asset for us this season, I think. 

I think the field stretching element is oversold.  If the guy pulling the trigger is hesitant to make those throws consistently in the first place, and the staff scheming up the gameplan thinks they can dink and dunk teams to death 99% of the time, teams aren't going to respect speed anyway.

And again, tbh, guys whose range maxes out at 45-50 yards tend to have smaller windows to get that ball off deep anyway, especially if that's not their first read, and to this point, Bryce has not shown great touch or accuracy on the deep throws he's attempted.  Hope it's just getting adjusted, but from the coaching to the execution in week 1, against what I thought was a a not-great defense, I'm just concerned moving forward.

• Pie 2

8 minutes ago, Jaxel said:

I think your worry is fair, but try to have a little bit of optimistism, in that (very much deserved) jaded Carolina Panther heart.

Judge it off of one game and you have been out on Joe Burrow, Josh Allen, Andrew Luck, John Elway, Troy Aikman, Peyton Manning amongst many others. 

Not saying he will be any of those guys, but there can remain some hope at least till the 6 game mark.

Appreciate your measured, non-emotional take, brother.

That's all fair.  Still hoping for the best.

48 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

I haven't wrote him off.  I just said I didn't see anything encouraging because we spent a #1 pick on a guy touted for certain traits that were supposed to lend themselves to him not making "rookie mistakes."  And yet, he made more of those mistakes than the other starting QBs in his draft class, taken after him.  His advertised strengths were some of his most glaring weaknesses.  That is not encouraging.  Period.

Sorry I'm not drinking the kool-aid.  I want him to succeed, but that was not what a #1 pick should be playing like, when again, guys at the same position from his class outperformed him in week 1.  And not by a little.  Hoping for the best, but early returns were not good, and people here want to get in their feelings because I refuse to gloss over the fact a #1 pick should be a gamechanger and instead, he looked like just another cog in the wheel...  and not only did he not make game-winning plays, but he is mostly the reason we lost because of the turnovers.

Tell me you didn't finish watching the video without telling me you didn't finish watching the video.

For real though, the traits are there, he showed them the rest of the game, it's in the rest of the video.

He's still a rookie though, and rookies will make rookie mistakes. That's why they're called rookie mistakes. It seems like your expectations may have been a little high, probably because Cam came in and set the world on fire his first game. Cam is cam though, Bryce is Bryce. 

It's one game. If he keeps making the same mistakes over and over then it's cause for concern. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Tell me you didn't finish watching the video without telling me you didn't finish watching the video.

For real though, the traits are there, he showed them the rest of the game, it's in the rest of the video.

He's still a rookie though, and rookies will make rookie mistakes. That's why they're called rookie mistakes. 

It's one game. If he keeps making the same mistakes over and over then it's cause for concern. 

No i didn't watch all of it, but I did watch most of it.  I heard JT compliment some of what he did as it went on, talked about coming off reada and looking off coverage, but I also feel like he was trying to find positives in a lot of routine things.  

I agree with your overall sentiment about the jury still being out, but it's hard to overlook the 2 picks and being mostly the reason we lost to an unimpressive defense when his peers looked better.

• Poo 1

10 minutes ago, PantherFanInPhilly said:

For everyone that watched both the Week 1 Young video AND the Week 1 Stroud video, what was his overall evaluation of the two in their first week?

About the same, good plays and bad, just in different ways. For example, Bryce coming off of reads early or staring down his guy vs CJ bad overthrown and taking bad sacks. Both showed good anticipation and ability to read the field. Both lack weapons.

He was very positive about A. Richardson also. Said he can't read the hot routes all that consistently, but made reads. Loves stechiens offensive scheme more than CJs or Bryce.

All this is one game though, the picture will clear up significantly in a few weeks and we will have a good idea of who will likely be trending upwards.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

I am probably coping a bit but the video sort of confirms what I thought I was seeing on Sunday in that the process is there, he's making reads & then decisions based off of those reads, yet the results were just not there. Perhaps on another day aka not his first freaking NFL game ever he'll be able to play at a higher level. I do like how JT pointed out there isn't a lot of improv yet from Bryce and yet that's a strength of his, I agree, and I do think that it'll come out more during this season when he realizes we need that part of his game to win. He's doing the pocket passer thing which is great to see and I think very encouraging but as JT notes, a lot of our first reads are to Thielen for some reason who is just slower than pondwater unfortunately. Rookie QB with these WRs is just going to be tough no matter how you slice it. I wish we had DJ here because he'd be feasting with Bryce.