• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

This did not age well

NAS

36 minutes ago, Newtcase said:

I think the biggest issue is field vision.  It's limiting the throws he attempts and making the protection look worse than it should.  This is  2nd down play in our last drive vs. the Vikings and what I see.  Take a look and judge for yourself.

This is how you know half the fanbase is truly lost when people are still trying to remove any fault of bryce for this play. I have already argued with multiple people about this play on how bryce just missed a big play but they still find a way to excuse him for this. We in bad times.

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Grab you a tall glass of cold water because these are gonna be some hard pills to swallow...

They're missing four starting OL.

Nico Collins is their #1 WR and had less than 500 receiving yards in both of his previous season. He'll surpass that in his next game. Their #2 is a 3rd round rookie. Their #3 is a guy with 500ish yards in each of his two previous seasons. Their starting TE has 2200 yards over six seasons.

They have the sixth fewest rushing yards on the NFL so the passing game is carrying the full weight of the offense. Their staring RB has under 200 rushing yards. Their backup has less than 100.

But keep comforting yourself with this narrative that the Texans have the superior offensive supporting cast.

They’re missing 4 starters - and still protecting better than our unit that’s only missing 2 starters. Much better.

You can try and value those receivers by doing a quick google search and seeing how many yards they had last season. But if you WATCH the tape you will see how they separate. How they get run after the catch. How they get butt naked wide open.

You haven’t watched the Texans, that’s very obvious. But if you understand football and compare the tape you will see they have a well schemed, thoughtful and functional offense. That is not to say Stroud isn’t killing it.

If you watch our tape and set your biases aside you will see our offense is completely dysfunctional from top to bottom. Scheme, personnel, play calling, clock management, o-line, WR, and yes QB play. Sure, Andy Dalton came in (and played out of his mind) against Seattle but even with a blown coverage td he only averaged 6.2 YPA.

In hindsight it’s looking like we completely screwed this up, traded the future #1 pick and DJ Moore who is looking like an all pro, and picked the wrong guy. But Bryce is not in a good situation and it makes sense for him to struggle. Let the kid develop. Him panning out is genuinely the only hope we’ve got. 

2 hours ago, Newtcase said:

Well here are a few plays from his last QB school.  If you still think this is great protection instead of great quarterbacking then lets discuss further.  CJ's protection is breaking down often, the kid just makes the right play very often.  I mean these plays are just sick and there are plenty of them.

https://youtu.be/1Pghr8IRMc4?si=9oRUFoTJ78lfol73&t=391

https://youtu.be/1Pghr8IRMc4?si=PLAC4xnHZTji9nyN&t=963

He has NFL level skills.  Our guy does not. 

3 minutes ago, thebdawg said:

They’re missing 4 starters - and still protecting better than our unit that’s only missing 2 starters. Much better.

You can try and value those receivers by doing a quick google search and seeing how many yards they had last season. But if you WATCH the tape you will see how they separate. How they get run after the catch. How they get butt naked wide open.

You haven’t watched the Texans, that’s very obvious. But if you understand football and compare the tape you will see they have a well schemed, thoughtful and functional offense. That is not to say Stroud isn’t killing it.

If you watch our tape and set your biases aside you will see our offense is completely dysfunctional from top to bottom. Scheme, personnel, play calling, clock management, o-line, WR, and yes QB play. Sure, Andy Dalton came in (and played out of his mind) against Seattle but even with a blown coverage td he only averaged 6.2 YPA.

In hindsight it’s looking like we completely screwed this up, traded the future #1 pick and DJ Moore who is looking like an all pro, and picked the wrong guy. But Bryce is not in a good situation and it makes sense for him to struggle. Let the kid develop. Him panning out is genuinely the only hope we’ve got. 

I'm not saying Bryce is in a good situation. I'm saying that the Texans got what we were sold - a QB with the ability to carry an offense and an offensive minded head coach to scheme it up. 

• Pie 2

18 minutes ago, CPF4LIFE said:

Or just maybe they have a QB who is elevating the guys around him because you know....thats what a franchise QB is supposed to do. Good ball placement,  making reads quickly and getting the ball out fast which helps the o line. You would have more of a point if you could look all those guys stats up last year and say you knew there would be an improvement next season. And if your crediting a o line entirely made up of backups over a qb playing elite football then we know your not watching. 

I’m not crediting Houston’s offensive line for Stroud’s play, but they’ve genuinely held up better than our offensive line who might as well be made of 4 backups right now with how they’re playing. 

Stroud is playing great football. But let’s not pretend he would have 1200 yards in this offense. I don’t know if any quarterback would. 

1 minute ago, thebdawg said:

I’m not crediting Houston’s offensive line for Stroud’s play, but they’ve genuinely held up better than our offensive line who might as well be made of 4 backups right now with how they’re playing. 

Stroud is playing great football. But let’s not pretend he would have 1200 yards in this offense. I don’t know if any quarterback would. 

Don't forget that a veteran journeyman out up 368 yards and 2 TDs in this same offense.

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm not saying Bryce is in a good situation. I'm saying that the Texans got what we were sold - a QB with the ability to carry an offense and an offensive minded head coach to scheme it up. 

I’d say Demeco Ryans is a defensive minded guy but I’m with you there. We blew it badly picking the coach. Watching Steichen and Ryans teams play the way they have makes me pretty sick.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, thebdawg said:

I’d say Demeco Ryans is a defensive minded guy but I’m with you there. We blew it badly picking the coach. Watching Steichen and Ryans teams play the way they have makes me pretty sick.

Everything about this offense is a mismatch of talents and philosophies. Nothing fits. It's not a shock that it's broken.

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Don't forget that a veteran journeyman out up 368 yards and 2 TDs in this same offense.

If Bryce would have thrown 58 times against Minnesota he would have thrown for exactly 370. And that’s without a busted coverage touchdown. We pick and choose what we see.

• Pie 1

Holy sh*t there's so much wrong with his comments it's downright scary that somebody who thinks like this is running our franchise.

This point guard BS needs to die. When the fug has football EVER worked that way? You need elite weapons, plain and simple. And then he goes on to say that allows us to “put money in the defensive side of the ball”, even though the rules are lopsided for offenses to rule and he thinks spending money to stop that is worth it. My God, we are fugged.

Always remember guys, this is the same dude that voted for Mike Tomlin to be fired (who has NEVER had a losing season since being hired).

Edited by Castavar

10 minutes ago, thebdawg said:

I note that I follow the Texans because I'm a Rockets fan, lived in Houston for a while, and the Rockets forum is also the best Texans forum.

Here's the thing about Houston's OL...maybe their backups are actually better than Carolina's starters, which would speak to depth and their GM who came from New England. Just because someone is a "starter" is all relative to what you have available on your roster and the quality of the talent evaluator making the designation.

I mean, Zavala is a starter. Regardless of the circumstances, that choice should put this whole "starter" business to rest alone.

The scary thing is to imagine what Stroud would be like (or what Bryce would have been like) with Houston's starting OL.

The funny thing is how much better a franchise looks when they get the QB right. This time last year their fans were eviscerating their owner and saw him the same as Tepper...actually worse in some respects because they thought he was a no-nothing who was controlled by (and would never fire) Easterby. They all also were convinced that Caserio was on his way out due to the state of the franchise after the Watson fiasco. The Texans even tried to distract the fan base with talk of new jerseys and fonts and colors in the off-season even.

• Pie 1