• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Steve Wilks is a better coach than Frank Reich. And it's not even close.

Dorian Gray

All I know is the Texans brought in a defensive minded HC and look competitive. Who knows, Wilks may have been able to bring in a Shanahan disciple like Ryans did in Houston, but according to Huddlers he would never be willing to do that. WIlks never was able to pick his OC in Arizona and they are literally under investigation for their suspended GM using a burner phone to still try and manipulate Wilks during his one year. They drafted a QB that he didn't want and fired him after one year. He comes here and is the only respectable member of Rhule's staff. He is made interim and makes the team competitive. Then after garnering all of that support he doesn't get a shot at the HC position.

Check it, none of us know what the hell Steve Wilks would've been as a HC because he will never get the chance with his staff, his players, and his GM. This happens to black coordinators way too much as they are asked to come in and right the ship in turmoil, but dismissed at any chance to have an organization behind them. All the pricks on here saying John Fox, Rivera 2.0 literally have no idea if he would coach that way. But you all are willing to put the organization, draft picks, optimism, and most importantly your dollar behind snot nosed coordinators who have proved nothing! Yet, Wilks is just quietly coaching San Fran's defense into smashing all the teams who think they are good into dust week in and week out. The man is just a flat out leader. No matter, you (Rivera, Fox 2.0) dicks would rather have an OC with no team identity and lose. Well that's what we have. Reap the Harvest! 0-5.....

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

4 hours ago, Waldo said:

Great interim coach and not a great long term answer.

Running off Ben Johnson and stiff arming Steichen rank way higher on my list of better options.

Frank was never a good option. Tepper couldn't see it and some fans couldn't either. Whatever he agreed to that Ben balked at is what I want to know. Whatever it was, it was real bad.

The 33rd Team had an article during our coaching search and Reich was legit dead last in their preference for us from guys interviewed.  Fans all wanted the Steichen/BJ type, heck, I think we could've gotten excited about Kellen Moore, Dorsey or Mayo.  Reich just didn't seem right.  The people he brought together and respect he has was reassuring, but if you can't put a good product on the field, then you're not doing it right.      

• Beer 1

7 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

The 33rd Team had an article during our coaching search and Reich was legit dead last in their preference for us from guys interviewed.  Fans all wanted the Steichen/BJ type, heck, I think we could've gotten excited about Kellen Moore, Dorsey or Mayo.  Reich just didn't seem right.  The people he brought together and respect he has was reassuring, but if you can't put a good product on the field, then you're not doing it right.      

He was selling whatever they wanted to buy, same a Rhule. 'His plan seperated him' or whatever the quote was floating around. The people hiring are chasing fantasies and the young and better qualified people were selling reality so they ended up with another dud and probably still have no idea how this all happened again. This is the second time and is now a tendency and the norm until they prove otherwise. Mostly from fans was the Rhule comparisions, which is stunning he is doing worse at the end of it all.

Edited by Waldo

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/8/2023 at 11:49 AM, Harbingers said:

Doesn’t matter if Wilks was right or not. He had the locker room, if we gave him his own staff(something he didn’t have in Arizona) and worked for building capital we’d be in a bunch better position than we are now. 

Like Wilks told his defensive staff to do it his way, not DeMarco and this is what happens....

https://www.si.com/nfl/49ers/news/defensive-coordinator-steve-wilks-is-a-problem-for-the-49ers

He just a rah rah guy...Reich could do a better job with the 49ers talented defense and he is an offensive minded guy. I bet they would trade Wilks for Reich straight up so we can get Wilks back and you all he happy while they get a guy who knows how to win from behind. Happy?

On 10/9/2023 at 11:50 AM, Khyber53 said:

I tried saying it back then. Doesn't matter. That water went under the bridge a long time ago and it isn't coming back.

Wilks, CMC and Sam Darnold will all have a Super Bowl ring before we have a playoff berth. Mark my words.

Might be this February.

SF isn't built to win a SB. They are built to get into the playoffs and look like they need a better QB every year. Wilks' D is 3rd in scoring and 8th in yards vs 1st in both last year. Wilks is going to be sacrificed to get another year to find yet another QB. I feel bad for him honestly. He isn't good enough to actually succeed and he isn't bad enough to be the real problem yet he keeps getting used by everybody. 

45 minutes ago, Waldo said:

SF isn't built to win a SB. They are built to get into the playoffs and look like they need a better QB every year. Wilks' D is 3rd in scoring and 8th in yards vs 1st in both last year. Wilks is going to be sacrificed to get another year to find yet another QB. I feel bad for him honestly. He isn't good enough to actually succeed and he isn't bad enough to be the real problem yet he keeps getting used by everybody. 

Yes they are....you are just clueless if you think Purdy is not good enough which is their missing link. They need the best system QB to run Kyle's system and Purdy is the most effective at it. What they don't need is a rah rah DC who squandered their talent due to his big ego of doing it his way, just like in Arizona. I understand what it takes to win...you don't by thinking its always on the QB that needs upgrading. Its probably why you thought Bryce would make us compete for the NFC championship this season LMAO!

On 10/9/2023 at 8:50 AM, Khyber53 said:

I tried saying it back then. Doesn't matter. That water went under the bridge a long time ago and it isn't coming back.

Wilks, CMC and Sam Darnold will all have a Super Bowl ring before we have a playoff berth. Mark my words.

Might be this February.

Are you high? Sam D is a joke for a long time now and will be for the 49ers as well. Purdy needs to continue as their system QB to win as long as their talented defense can play like last season.

However, 49ers fans are clueless to for wanting Wilks fired. They need to blame Nick Bosa after getting his fat contract as a leader, he hasn't done crap other than a few pressured plays. I wouldn't have traded him to get all those picks they lost for trading up for Trey Area.

5 minutes ago, GhostWhispah said:

Yes they are....you are just clueless if you think Purdy is not good enough which is their missing link. They need the best system QB to run Kyle's system and Purdy is the most effective at it. What they don't need is a rah rah DC who squandered their talent due to his big ego of doing it his way, just like in Arizona. I understand what it takes to win...you don't by thinking its always on the QB that needs upgrading. Its probably why you thought Bryce would make us compete for the NFC championship this season LMAO!

If you are not trying to run a comedy account then you are failing at life. They have been kept from winning SBs because of their QBs. They have had good Os and very good Ds for years and have ZERO SBs to show with Jimmy G, Purdy and now Darnold. Just lol. Why do you think they tried so hard on Lance. They have been a QB away for years now. 

WTF are you even talking about? Me a Bryce supporter? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA You couldn't be any more clueless about everything but thanks for the laughs

On 10/9/2023 at 7:13 AM, Waldo said:

Great interim coach and not a great long term answer.

I'd agree.

Wilks greatest strengths are as a motivator and a leader. Those are good qualities for a head coach to have.

And if those were his only duties, that'd be great, but they're not.

One of the most important things a head coach does is staffing, i.e. hiring his assistants. Wilks, like Rivera, wasn't very good at that part of the job, with Holcomb being the chief example.

And yeah, some of the coaching decisions he made in the biggest games last season didn't exactly register high up on the "courage" scale.

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, Waldo said:

If you are not trying to run a comedy account then you are failing at life. They have been kept from winning SBs because of their QBs. They have had good Os and very good Ds for years and have ZERO SBs to show with Jimmy G, Purdy and now Darnold. Just lol. Why do you think they tried so hard on Lance. They have been a QB away for years now. 

WTF are you even talking about? Me a Bryce supporter? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA You couldn't be any more clueless about everything but thanks for the laughs

Only a fool would put Purdy in the same group as JimmyG and SamD. 

Purdy is the BEST system QB to date to run Kyle's complex playbook since Kirk/Ryan. NOTHING wrong then being a system QB as long as you are efficient at it which Purdy is. Not sure WHY Kyle wanted a super raw QB like Trey who only real benefit is his strong cannon arm. Never liked that pick for them from day 1. Purdy is the right QB imho. Only someone as clueless as you think they need a Mahomes to win.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'd agree.

Wilks greatest strengths are as a motivator and a leader. Those are good qualities for a head coach to have.

And if those were his only duties, that'd be great, but they're not.

One of the most important things a head coach does is staffing, i.e. hiring his assistants. Wilks, like Rivera, wasn't very good at that part of the job, with Holcomb being the chief example.

And yeah, some of the coaching decisions he made in the biggest games last season didn't exactly register high up on the "courage" scale.

He could make a killer living being the just interim option for teams with hot seats. He didn't have any problems not staffing in Arizona which is insane to me that they staffed most of that staff before hiring him. And I don't think he brings much on the personnel side either.