• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Questions Regarding Matt Moore

As my username entails, being out of Panther territory makes it hard to watch a game from start to finish and the possibility of catching every play of every season is nearly impossible :(. On every Sunday I can be found watching ESPN gamecast for hours on end. At the end of the day, comes more highlight watching on the NFL's website. Being in college doesn't help either, as it is impossible to somehow get NFL network though the school's cable. When I can, I like to go to an on campus bar to watch the game since they have the ability to air the game.

Now to the point of my post, it's very difficult to analyze M. Moore from the limited time I have been able to watch him. Highlights just don't show his strengths and weaknesses as I would like them to do. I was just curious, what are his greatest strengths? And what are his greatest weaknesses?

For those of you who are sold on the fact of Moore being the future of our franchise's QB, what has he done on and off the field that has led you to believe this?

For those of you who are still in question and would like to address the QB with a FA or draft pick (which I think is necessary regardless), which is only realistic, what parts of his gameplay have led you to still be weary?

Frankly as a true fan, I would love to be aboard the Moore supporters, but the lack of ability to watch him every weekend just makes it difficult. I have said for the last few years that Jake has needed to go. Inconsistency is just the most frustrating aspect of football in my opinion.

Well, I am one who is skeptical. I can understand giving Moore a chance to win the job in TC and pre-season, but I think that it's a bit optimistic and early to call him the QB of the future because the main thing that he has done is come in and not be Jake. Yes, he has shown signs of promise, as he looks more willing to spread the ball around more than Jake, and subsequently that means he made better decisions than Jake (version 2009). But he still overthrows more balls than I like to see, and looks a little out of his comfort zone in the pocket at times. Of course he would hopefully get better with time and experience as a starter.

Others would disagree, but he really only has one outstanding game (as compared to the rest of the elite QBs in the league,) where he put up near 300 yards on the Vikings, but personally I'd like to see him in a pressure situation where the games actually mean something to the team as a whole (and not just about his playing for the number one spot, or pride). At this point, which is not necessarily about Moore, I think that it's high time for Carolina to get a franchise QB (consistent top 5 or 10, at the very least), so I'd like to see if Moore can carry the team via his arm, and so far he hasn't proven to me that he can on a consistent basis. But, if he can at least move the chains on a consistent basis, without turning the ball over, then I'd at least be comfortable with giving him a couple of seasons to see what he can do (if we can't do any better, and if he can actually win the job).

Matt Moore doesn't just piss excellence, he also shits gold. Moore can single handedly end the recession.

Matt Moore has never had to use the Backspace button on his computer.

The entire story of Little Red Riding Hood is based on the life of Matt Moore. Except they left out the parts about him beating the Wolf to death assuming his identity, infiltrating the kidnapping wolf cartel, assassinating the head wolf, instantly rising to kingpin, and systematically dismantling the ring from within. Of course, they added the part about the girl and her grandmother.

Matt Moore doesn't have any weaknesses.

Oh yeah, and he did this...

Chuck_Norris_VS_oar.gif?

Well, I am one who is skeptical. I can understand giving Moore a chance to win the job in TC and pre-season, but I think that it's a bit optimistic and early to call him the QB of the future because the main thing that he has done is come in and not be Jake. Yes, he has shown signs of promise, as he looks more willing to spread the ball around more than Jake, and subsequently that means he made better decisions than Jake (version 2009). But he still overthrows more balls than I like to see, and looks a little out of his comfort zone in the pocket at times. Of course he would hopefully get better with time and experience as a starter.

Others would disagree, but he really only has one outstanding game (as compared to the rest of the elite QBs in the league,) where he put up near 300 yards on the Vikings, but personally I'd like to see him in a pressure situation where the games actually mean something to the team as a whole (and not just about his playing for the number one spot, or pride). At this point, which is not necessarily about Moore, I think that it's high time for Carolina to get a franchise QB (consistent top 5 or 10, at the very least), so I'd like to see if Moore can carry the team via his arm, and so far he hasn't proven to me that he can on a consistent basis. But, if he can at least move the chains on a consistent basis, without turning the ball over, then I'd at least be comfortable with giving him a couple of seasons to see what he can do (if we can't do any better, and if he can actually win the job).

I agree with pretty much everything in this post.

I am really hesitant to declare anything about him, until he actually throws the team on his back and wins a game when nothing else is clicking. Being very honest about it, every win he secured this season, he did with an incredible running game and a defense that was dominant. He NEVER had to do it with just his arm. I suppose the closest scenario to that would have been New England, where he played admirably, but ultimately no better than a confident Jake would have.

I have serious doubts he could do what Rivers, Manning, Brady, Warner, Rodgers, Brees, McNabb, Roethlisberger or even Eli do. These guys all have and do win games when they are the focus of the defense. They are consistently gameplanned for, where the defense has no fear of the running game and yet they STILL put up incredible numbers. I know we do not need that kind of QB for our system, but until he achieves that kind of performance, he will be no more than a 'game manager' or 'placeholder' in my mind. Frankly I fully expect him to be no better than Delhomme, which is obviously successful, but never quite good enough.

That said, he does have potential. If his roumored training habits are improved, then he could push himself to be a quality starter. At the moment though, there is little to seperate him from a journeyman QB and until I see 'that' performance I will always have doubts.

Just to clarify though, I DO want him starting over Jake. I also have reservations about picking QB high because I would like to see Moore hit those heights of the other QBs.

None of us really know much more than you. He came in for the second time in his short career and looked like he belonged. He gave us hope. He lead us to victories by making plays and not screwing up. He showed signs of greatness. Good arm, good vision, poise, and good mobility. After Jake we were not to picky so who knows.

Matt Moore doesn't just piss excellence, he also shits gold. Moore can single handedly end the recession.

Matt Moore has never had to use the Backspace button on his computer.

The entire story of Little Red Riding Hood is based on the life of Matt Moore. Except they left out the parts about him beating the Wolf to death assuming his identity, infiltrating the kidnapping wolf cartel, assassinating the head wolf, instantly rising to kingpin, and systematically dismantling the ring from within. Of course, they added the part about the girl and her grandmother.

Matt Moore doesn't have any weaknesses.

Oh yeah, and he did this...

Chuck_Norris_VS_oar.gif?

funny.jpg

I agree with pretty much everything in this post.

I am really hesitant to declare anything about him, until he actually throws the team on his back and wins a game when nothing else is clicking. Being very honest about it, every win he secured this season, he did with an incredible running game and a defense that was dominant. He NEVER had to do it with just his arm. I suppose the closest scenario to that would have been New England, where he played admirably, but ultimately no better than a confident Jake would have.

I have serious doubts he could do what Rivers, Manning, Brady, Warner, Rodgers, Brees, McNabb, Roethlisberger or even Eli do. These guys all have and do win games when they are the focus of the defense. They are consistently gameplanned for, where the defense has no fear of the running game and yet they STILL put up incredible numbers. I know we do not need that kind of QB for our system, but until he achieves that kind of performance, he will be no more than a 'game manager' or 'placeholder' in my mind. Frankly I fully expect him to be no better than Delhomme, which is obviously successful, but never quite good enough.

That said, he does have potential. If his roumored training habits are improved, then he could push himself to be a quality starter. At the moment though, there is little to seperate him from a journeyman QB and until I see 'that' performance I will always have doubts.

Just to clarify though, I DO want him starting over Jake. I also have reservations about picking QB high because I would like to see Moore hit those heights of the other QBs.

So uhh... 8 TD's, 0 Ints, in his last 4 games, 2 blow out victories, a 64% completion rating and >1000 yards passing and a 3-1 recored isn't what those guys would do?

Uh, what about 3TD's against both the Giants and the Vikings? Hey... Didn't Big Ben play the Vikings? How many TD's did he have?

Moore doens't need to throw for 300 yards a game for the team to win, the reasons many of those guys do is because the don't have a running game, and 90% exit early in the playoffs (I.E. see Brady, McNabb, Warner, Rodgers).

Also didn't he completely outshine Eli only 4 weeks ago.

The thing is, people here have there sites soooo high on hoping that the Panthers take a #1 draft pick QB, that they are blinded to accept what Moore has done for the Team now.

Carolina is NOT a passing team, and thus does NOT require 300 passing yards a game... Is that many yards pretty? Yes. But we are not built around that. We need a guy who does not turn the ball over, can spread the ball around, and make plays.. and from what I was watching, Moore did that, and thats wall we need to be a consistently 12 win team.

One impressive thing about Moore is that he seemed to make significant improvement with game experience. There were a lot of overthrows in the beginning, but as he settled down, his accuracy improved. And, he does spread the ball around. He also can move around and avoid the rush and he throws well on the run. He did go head to head with Eli and Brett and look like the much better QB.

Based on his performance this year....he seems to have good skills, be smart, and will get better the more he plays.

Best thing is that Pep looks like he has a man crush on him.

Moore moves well in the pocket, seems to have good footwork, considering his inexperience, and sees the field well when he has protection. He does have the tendency to miss high once and a while but his inaccuracy hasn't led to interceptions the way Jake's misses so often did. He also spreads the ball around well, he got Moose, Barnidge, and even Jarret involved at times. He reminds me of an Eli Manning type of QB, in that his technique isn't pretty but his results usually are, and his team seems to believe in him. Like Eli, he can win a Super Bowl, but needs a good running game and defense to help him along. I like him, I'd draft a receiver and maybe a D-lineman and feel good going into the season with Moore, Jake, McCown as the three QBs.

Carolina is NOT a passing team, and thus does NOT require 300 passing yards a game... Is that many yards pretty? Yes. But we are not built around that. We need a guy who does not turn the ball over, can spread the ball around, and make plays.. and from what I was watching, Moore did that, and thats wall we need to be a consistently 12 win team.

But that is not enough to win a Super Bowl. And in the end thats all that matters. We did that in 08 remember and got exposed? The "Trent Dilfer Baltimore Ravens" model no longer works in the NFL. You need a REAL quarterback, not a glorified hand off man who gets most of the credit for what your running backs do.

I don't think anyone has proclaimed Moore the QB of the future, or the 'fix' to all that is broken here, but he has EARNED the spot at the top of the depth chart! No one can know if he's the answer at QB except by playing him. But he has earned that playing time. He also has been on the roster for 3 years heading into a 4th, and he thus knows the offensive system and the players who comprise it. He's as good of a fit to go forward thru the start of next season as anyone else who may become available. If Moore proves to be a bust, or gets badly injured, we have a 1st round pick in 2011, and could look at drafting a QB then.

Is Moore the QB of the future? Nobody knows, so let's find out!

But that is not enough to win a Super Bowl. And in the end thats all that matters. We did that in 08 remember and got exposed? The "Trent Dilfer Baltimore Ravens" model no longer works in the NFL. You need a REAL quarterback, not a glorified hand off man who gets most of the credit for what your running backs do.

We've seen that Moore can put the team on his shoulders and throw 2 or 3 TD and 250 yards passing, but it's not always necessary, even to win the super bowl, good running, and defenses are the key.

So uhh... 8 TD's, 0 Ints, in his last 4 games, 2 blow out victories, a 64% completion rating and >1000 yards passing and a 3-1 recored isn't what those guys would do?

Uh, what about 3TD's against both the Giants and the Vikings? Hey... Didn't Big Ben play the Vikings? How many TD's did he have?

Moore doens't need to throw for 300 yards a game for the team to win, the reasons many of those guys do is because the don't have a running game, and 90% exit early in the playoffs (I.E. see Brady, McNabb, Warner, Rodgers).

Also didn't he completely outshine Eli only 4 weeks ago.

The thing is, people here have there sites soooo high on hoping that the Panthers take a #1 draft pick QB, that they are blinded to accept what Moore has done for the Team now.

Wo, wo, wo. You need to go back and re-read what you criticsised me for AND what I actually wrote. You have been so quick to jump on what you perceived was a Moore 'bashing' that you completely ignored most of my post.

I know the numbers he put up and I also watched how he put them up. My point was that in those games we had every single facet clicking. Defense was scary, we had at least 150 yards rushing and we did not turn the ball over. His play was no better and no worse than the defense and the running game, he effectively complimented a truely dominant team performance.

All I was saying was that to be the guarenteed starter and a true franchise QB, he needs to be able to carry the team on his back, as teams will figure parts of our game out. The game's when they take away our running game, or our defense is getting found out he needs to be able to step up and perform. If he can't, then he will merely be a 'game managing' QB, which is nothing to sniff at, because our system benefits from that style AND it is what we have had in Delhomme for the last few years.

The concept that we are a rushing team is mute. Look at the Ravens. Look at the Titans. Look at the Dolphins. Look at the Browns, Jags, Chiefs. Look at us. All were decent to dominant running the ball and yet all are sitting at home. The problem is that having merely one part on offense is no longer enough, you NEED to be able to rely on your passing game to win games. Otherwise you are one dimensional and will eventually get found out.

I made a list of QBs and you focused on something insubstantial. I was stating that these guys have proved that they can win games with their arms, not that they are the best teams! Of course the unbalanced teams are sitting at home. News flash. So are all of the rushing teams bar the Jets. Why do you think the Saints are suddenly a dominant team? The defense? Not really as it often gets exploited and has not performed as good at the hype, however the running game is suddely exploding. So, once again I will make the point that until he can show he can carry the team, he should not be quarenteed starter AND considered a franchise QB. Do we need one of those? Not nec. but it's becoming abundantly clear that passing is becoming more and more reliable in this league.

I love how you picked out that 'Roethlisberger didn't throw as many TDs' and 'Moore outplayed Eli'. I love it because you completely missed my point. Of course Moore outplayed Eli, I think Eli is garbage, but he has at least shown he can win a game when Brandon Jacobs is falling over behind the line. I love how you focused on Roesthlisbergers performance against one team and then completely neglect what he has had to put up with the last two years. He is that offense. there is nothing else too it, yet they won a superbowl recently, didn't they???

Finally I also made it clear that I felt Moore should be given the number one spot to win in TC. I also stated that I would be apprehensive about bringing in a high draft picked QB, as I wanted to see what Moore had, because unlike you I can believe in Moore AND be objective. I think he could well be our signal caller for the forseeable future, but until he shows me that he can, I can't proclaim him. For the record I think a game manager suits us just fine, but there have been plenty of back up QBs who have come into similar scenarios as Moore and performed. A high percentage of those are now out the league. So, until he shows me he can win football games on his own, I will continue not to place him on a pedastel but still be excited about what his future might bring us.

So get off your high horse, get down on your knees and apologise.

Archived