• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce showed nothing today

Martin

3 minutes ago, frankw said:

Greg Olsen is a Panther for life he is not going to pile on Bryce Young he's offering him a lifeline that's good he's a stand up guy I would not expect any less. Ellis? We've already covered that.

I get the sense most former players saying this and that just don't want to make Bryce Young's life even worse. And yes having played for Alabama absolutely helps don't even kid yourself for a second. It's a hell of a lot more support than Cam Newton had after being rookie of the year and the Charlotte Observer put out that Hello Kitty picture and scathing article that followed.

See, this read on Olsen misses the point.

In saying what he's saying, Olsen is pretty strongly criticizing the Panthers for the situation they've put Young in.

Why would a "Panther for life" criticize the team rather than just the quarterback they picked?

• Beer 1

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Yeah, a lot of those points aren't really correct. It's just a lot of the same pre-draft criticisms rehashed.

One is though. His footwork needs work. So did Newton's. 

Did it get the work it needed in an environment where he was constantly being harassed? No. What happened instead was the bad habits got reinforced. That wasn't his fault though.

You really think it's fair to do the same thing to Young and then blame him for it?

Cam was a physical specimen and did well in spite of his QB mechanical flaws.  When you are 6'5" 255 pounds and can flick a football 50 yards standing completely flat footed or falling backwards, yes, coaches will turn a blind eye/accept those issues if they can't be corrected.

At 5'9" and >200 pounds with a slight frame, QB mechanics have to be good, REALLY good.  I dare say excellent.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

See, this read on Olsen misses the point.

In saying what he's saying, Olsen is pretty strongly criticizing the Panthers for the situation they've put Young in.

Why would a "Panther for life" criticize the team rather than just the quarterback they picked?

It's a carefully worded statement not meant to directly criticize anyone.

1 minute ago, 45catfan said:

Cam was a physical specimen and did well in spite of his QB mechanical flaws.  When you are 6'5" 255 pounds and can flick a football 50 yards standing completely flat footed or falling backwards, yes, coaches will turn a blind eye/accept those issues if they can't be corrected.

At 5'9" and >200 pounds with a slight frame, QB mechanics have to be good, REALLY good.  I dare say excellent.

Cam also played in a Coryell style offense that suited his skills and had way better skill players.

12 hours ago, App Panther said:

And this isn't the first time all year I felt that way. Theres multiple weeks that he does nothing to make me think "Ok, that's why he went #1 in the NFL draft".

If I didn't know better, I'd think this is Matt Corral. 

It’s funny, because a this point I just assume Corral quit football.

Not getting a sniff of a chance…with how bad Bruce looks…

I don’t blame him for quitting.  

• Pie 1

I think we need to start considering pulling him for Dalton for the remainder of the season. 

Everything is so bad right now we can't even get a clear picture of how good or bad Bryce could be, and now he appears to be regressing and building some bad habits. 

Now imagine the nightmare scenario where he gets a bad injury late in the year and has to miss the start of next season, so we still couldn't evaluate him with a (hopefully) improves roster?

We've seen about all we can see in a rookie season at this point, only bad things can happen from here. 

12 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Yeah, a lot of those points aren't really correct. It's just a lot of the same pre-draft criticisms rehashed.

One is though. His footwork needs work. So did Newton's. 

Did it get the work it needed in an environment where he was constantly being harassed? No. What happened instead was the bad habits got reinforced. That wasn't his fault though.

You really think it's fair to do the same thing to Young and then blame him for it?

I didn't delve into Young's pre-draft criticism because I honestly didn't care to.  Again, this is what I see with my own two eyes, NOW, not some scouting report from February.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Purrnicious said:

I think we need to start considering pulling him for Dalton for the remainder of the season. 

Everything is so bad right now we can't even get a clear picture of how good or bad Bryce could be, and now he appears to be regressing and building some bad habits. 

Now imagine the nightmare scenario where he gets a bad injury late in the year and has to miss the start of next season, so we still couldn't evaluate him with a (hopefully) improves roster?

We've seen about all we can see in a rookie season at this point, only bad things can happen from here. 

No. Bryce has to play out this year and all of 2024. We have to know absolutely for sure that there's nothing salvageable before we draft #1 in 2025.