• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2 WRs to Target in the Next Two Drafts

tukafan21

2 hours ago, Shocker said:

He is too small

He's 5'11" and 175 lbs, in what world is that too small to play the shifty slot WR role?

He isn't a project, he's played 5 years and put up elite numbers for 3 straight years now.  In 2021 he was 9th in the nation in receiving yards while at UTEP, in 2022 after transferring to Arizona he was 11th in receptions and 24th in yards (with another 1,000+ yard WR on the team), and is going to be top 15 in receptions this year again (again, with another 1,200+ yard WR who will be a 1st round pick in 2025).

He's a savvy route runner who knows how to get open and is great after the catch and has a nose for the end zone, has 11, 7, and 7 TDs in his last 3 years.

He's pretty much exactly what everyone wishes we had this year for Bryce, a small fast WR who can get open on short routes and then pick up YAC, Thielen with some speed to him.

Sure, there will be other WR options in that 3-5 round range, but I really think he's going to get drafted in one of those rounds, he fits a need we have, I really hope he's someone we at least look at.  

Edited by tukafan21

6 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

He's 5'11" and 175 lbs, in what world is that too small to play the shifty slot WR role?

He isn't a project, he's played 5 years and put up elite numbers for 3 straight years now.  In 2021 he was 9th in the nation in receiving yards while at UTEP, in 2022 after transferring to Arizona he was 11th in receptions and 24th in yards (with another 1,000+ yard WR on the team), and is going to be top 15 in receptions this year again (again, with another 1,200+ yard WR who will be a 1st round pick in 2025).

He's a savvy route runner who knows how to get open and is great after the catch and has a nose for the end zone, has 11, 7, and 7 TDs in his last 3 years.

He's pretty much exactly what everyone wishes we had this year for Bryce, a small fast WR who can get open on short routes and then pick up YAC, Thielen with some speed to him.

Sure, there will be other WR options in that 3-5 round range, but I really think he's going to get drafted in one of those rounds, he fits a need we have, I really hope he's someone we at least look at.  

I think we should go Oline with our first 2 picks.

If the goal is to keep Bryce Young you have to protect him. I think we can make a splash in FA on a WR.

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

If the goal is to keep Bryce Young you have to protect him. I think we can make a splash in FA on a WR.

Not if the goal is to keep Bryce upright starting with Week 1

Our cap room needs to be spent on WR and then OL, we need guys who can step in and be a quality starter from Day 1, you're not getting that with a 3rd round lineman unless you're lucky, and I think we can get a more impactful player on defense with that first pick of the second round, maybe a CB or a pass rusher.

Use the cap room room to get a WR 1 (likely through a Burns trade since there isn't any in the FA class) and then to get 2 new starting guards.

We have speed in Chark, We have catch radius in Mingo and TMJ, WE have all the traits a QB could desire on this team but most are missing one quality.  Running Routes.  Give me a fast WR with great hands and knows how to run and route and get open.  I would be 100% on the bus with him before we grab a track star that knows Three routes, Post, Flag and Fly.   If you can't run a route without rounding it out or drifting than what good will he be in the NFL if he can fly.  We've had our run of those WRs. 

11 hours ago, tukafan21 said:

I'm not a big enough college football fan to talk about other players, and yea, I'm sure there are other great options for a mid round speed WR, maybe/probably better than Cowing.

But he 100% is an NFL WR and that is said with zero bias.  He transferred into Arizona last year and his route running stood out to me from day 1, it's been clear to me that he's an NFL slot WR from game 1 and nothing has changed my mind on that.

No, he's not a prototypical outside WR with #1 potential, but he's going to stick around as a slot WR for a long time in this league, I'm very much convinced of that.

And T-Mac will be a 1st round pick in 2025, I'd bet money on that right now without a second thought.

T-Mac has elite potential no doubt but still a few years away for any scout to concentrate on. We need to make this happen for the upcoming draft to get Bryce a playmaker, not down the road.

Back on Cowing, he doesn't have one of two abilities that is required to be a WR1 in my book which is athleticism and breakaway speed. He got neither to be effective at the next level. Not only that, he even struggles to get separation from non elite backs in college. Only trait that really sticks out is his blocking ability on run plays like whoop be do. Unless you are bias, not even sure why you want this guy. Route running is not important as far as i am concern cause it can be taught at any level even after he turns pro since it's a discipline matter, not breakaway speed even if he takes steroids cause you will only get slower with age. Bryce need someone like Jamo, trust me on this.

10 hours ago, ColumbusCounty said:

2nd Round: Xavier Worthy or Egbula (if he slips). 

3rd Round: Ricky Pearsall. His route running and hands are insane imo. Not a 4.3 guy but his technique will create its own seperation. 

No way Egbula will slip just cause he plays for the Buckeyes, the top school where 5 star recruits go to. If you don't have elite potential, they don't want you. Big game Worthy will not be taken in the first round which is why we should nab him with our 2nd round pick. Yes he had bust potential but his ability to separate from speedy corners is a plus in my book. 

7 hours ago, tukafan21 said:

I agree! Me not liking him at the next level has NOTHING to do with his height. Its an understandable argument for a QB but never for receivers in the NFL. Tareek is even shorter at 5'10" and would love me some of that all day long! 

7 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Bryce NEEDS playmakers to win, not protection. He was one of the most elusive off script QB in the game able to avoid defenders without breaking a sweat but need playmakers to pass it to. Its like you NEVER seen him play yet you thought we will be competing for the NFC conference finals right after drafting Bryce?!? 

Imagine if the Bengals had gotten Burrows that elite OT many experts demanded to protect his backside instead of his LSU connection in J'marr Chase, they would NEVER would have went to the SB. Get Bryce his playmaker and you will be grinning like the Joker after a few games into the season. 

3 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

We have speed in Chark, We have catch radius in Mingo and TMJ, WE have all the traits a QB could desire on this team but most are missing one quality.  Running Routes.  Give me a fast WR with great hands and knows how to run and route and get open.  I would be 100% on the bus with him before we grab a track star that knows Three routes, Post, Flag and Fly.   If you can't run a route without rounding it out or drifting than what good will he be in the NFL if he can fly.  We've had our run of those WRs. 

Route running is something that needs to be taught so unless you go to a program that has top coaching staff to teach them that like at OSU, you not going to be good at it unless you are foolish enough to think they learn that in high school LOLOL!!!! 

You can't reach speed...you either have it at a young age or you don't. 

32 minutes ago, GhostWhispah said:

Bryce NEEDS playmakers to win, not protection. He was one of the most elusive off script QB in the game able to avoid defenders without breaking a sweat but need playmakers to pass it to. Its like you NEVER seen him play yet you thought we will be competing for the NFC conference finals right after drafting Bryce?!? 

Imagine if the Bengals had gotten Burrows that elite OT many experts demanded to protect his backside instead of his LSU connection in J'marr Chase, they would NEVER would have went to the SB. Get Bryce his playmaker and you will be grinning like the Joker after a few games into the season. 

Our Oline is trash!

And why are you comparing Bryce Young to Joe Burrow. And who in this draft that will be A Chase kind of WR in the 2nd round.

This ain't Madden bro. You selling me a dream overnight. 

Edited by CamWhoaaCam

6 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Our Oline is trash!

And why are you comparing Bryce Young to Joe Burrow. And who in this draft that will be A Chase kind of WR in the 2nd round.

This ain't Madden bro. You selling me a dream overnight. 

You put Bryce with J'Marr and Higgins, they would still be facing the Rams in that SB while Burrow our roster without a single playmaker, we would have the SAME record as we do now no matter what you think. Besides, YOU were the one who thought we would be contenders this season, not me. So you sold yourself into that dream season Lol

4 hours ago, GhostWhispah said:

T-Mac has elite potential no doubt but still a few years away for any scout to concentrate on. We need to make this happen for the upcoming draft to get Bryce a playmaker, not down the road.

Back on Cowing, he doesn't have one of two abilities that is required to be a WR1 in my book which is athleticism and breakaway speed. He got neither to be effective at the next level. Not only that, he even struggles to get separation from non elite backs in college. Only trait that really sticks out is his blocking ability on run plays like whoop be do. Unless you are bias, not even sure why you want this guy. Route running is not important as far as i am concern cause it can be taught at any level even after he turns pro since it's a discipline matter, not breakaway speed even if he takes steroids cause you will only get slower with age. Bryce need someone like Jamo, trust me on this.

I’ve never once said he’s a #1, I’ve actually said multiple times that he’s meant for the shifty slot role, essentially the #3 or #4 WR on the roster.

Yea, I agree, Cowing will never be a #1 WR in the NFL, but he’s going to be a very successful slot WR in the league.

And route running ability is extremely important and it clearly can’t just be taught to anyone, it’s a reason so many WRs fail to make it, because they just can’t run crisp routes and get open.  It’s the reason someone like Thielen still is able to do what he does.

Plus, Cowing has like a 5 year old son, it’s why he transferred to Arizona, to be closer to him and to help his NFL draft stock increase.  He’s one of those guys who already has a family to feed and is going to work a little harder than the next guy because he has extra motivation to make it in the league.

I think he’d be a perfect mid round pick for us, but as you said, clearly not meant to be a future #1.

And T-Mac was more of a joke/pipe dream as he’ll be a 1st rounder in 2025 and I think we’ll get that #1 guy this off-season and/or need to use that 2025 1st on a new QB anyways.  

Edited by tukafan21