• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

PFT on Reich's status, Tepper's ownership

Mr. Scot

1 minute ago, tukafan21 said:

I've said it for well over a month, we can't fire Reich because we won't be able to have any worthwhile HC willing to bet his career on Bryce and this roster.

We need to keep Reich for next year, we can fire him a month into the season for all I care, but we aren't getting a good HC this offseason and we don't want to be the team that fires their HC in 3 straight offseasons while also having a sorely depleted roster.

And frankly, our best bet at being able to turn this franchise around in the next 5 years is to be HORRIBLE next year and get the #1 pick in the draft without trading away assets so we can replace Bryce ASAP

I'll go back to what I've been saying for a while...

I don't really want David Tepper choosing who to fire any more than I want him choosing who to hire.

That said, I do think there are some issues with Reich that he needs to clean up.

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

we fire reich and fitt and we limit the candidates that want to come here to stake their careers to a 5'10 weak ass armed qb.

Yep, I'd also bet that any coach who would take the job would do so under 1 condition only, if they want to bench Bryce for Dalton (or a new backup that is signed) then they are allowed to do so.

I could very well see a scenario where that happens and it ends up improving us to being good enough to end up with like the 5-7 pick in the draft and screwing ourselves out of finding a long term replacement for Bryce in the 2025 draft.

It sucks, but we have to embrace the suck and play for a losing season next year, it really is the best and fastest way at turning this franchise's long term hopes around, and it angers me so much when fans can't see the forest through the trees to be able to understand that.

8 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'll go back to what I've been saying for a while...

I don't really want David Tepper choosing who to fire any more than I want him choosing who to hire.

That said, I do think there are some issues with Reich that he needs to clean up.

Don't disagree with any of that, and I'm not in the slightest trying to support Reich or say anything of the sort.

It has NOTHING to do with Reich and has EVERYTHING to do with what it would do to the future of this franchise.

Reich is A problem, but he isn't THE problem, and firing him only creates more problems than it solves, problems that will further hinder trying to fix this franchise.  It's why I'm openly and already saying that we should bring him back but fire him a month into the season when we suck again.

Looking for a new HC is a bad, bad, bad idea this offseason, it should be done after next year (and not both).

Edited by tukafan21

13 minutes ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

This article isn't wrong, but firing Reich wouldn't be either. Good owners know when to get involved and when to step back.

Tepper needs to fire Reich and Fitterer, hire a firm to conduct a search for their replacements and then get the hell out of the way.

We can't have it both ways. The same Tepper who can't hire properly won't conduct the right process to find a firm to do so. He won't hire the right firm either, so we can't trust that to work either.

His best move is to upset his colleagues and spend $100m+ on securing the whole front office of a team that knows what they're doing and move them to Charlotte totally replacing the clowns that have been at Mint Street. Basically an acquisition, which should be in his wheelhouse. Organic growth can't happen with bad stock on a bad foundation, and the Panthers have had it in spades since 1993.

2 minutes ago, BrisbanePanther said:

We can't have it both ways. The same Tepper who can't hire properly won't conduct the right process to find a firm to do so. He won't hire the right firm either, so we can't trust that to work either.

His best move is to upset his colleagues and spend $100m+ on securing the whole front office of a team that knows what they're doing and move them to Charlotte totally replacing the clowns that have been at Mint Street. Basically an acquisition, which should be in his wheelhouse. Organic growth can't happen with bad stock on a bad foundation, and the Panthers have had it in spades since 1993.

Can't hire people who are under contract somewhere else...

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Can't hire people who are under contract somewhere else...

Contracts aren't constitutions. Good lawyers can find weak spots and exploit them. We are not in this to be collegial. It's a results-oriented business that is cutthroat and I'd be all for Tepper making more enemies if it makes Carolina the winner.

• Pie 1

I will say we are as dysfunctional as it gets, but the Texans are proof positive that just because they fired a coach after 1 year it doesn't mean you cant find a good coach.  Lets just look at recent history of coaches fired after 1 season and their replacements

Houston 2021-David Culley --> 2022 Lovie Smith --> Demeco ryans 

Denver broncos 2022 - Hackett --> Sean Payton

Jaguars 2021 - Urban Meyer --> Doug Pederson

Browns 2019 - Freddie Kitchens  --> Kevin Stefanski

Cardinals 2018 - Steve Wilks --> Kliff Kingsbury

49ers 2015 - Tomsula --> 2016 Chip Kelly --> Kyle Shanahan

Browns 2013 - Rob Chudzinkski --> Mike Pettine

Jaguars 2012 - Mike Mularkey --> Gus Bradley

Raiders 2011 - Hue Jackson --> Dennis Allen

I made sure to keep the the stinkers too, but if you look at that list, there's some incredibly good coaches that we would be lucky to have, and all went to "dumpster fire organizations" who had just fired a coach after 1 year.  If we have trouble attracting a coach its because of an overly demanding and meddling owner, not because we fired a coach after 1 season and even then, if Jim Irsay can attract a coach with him being insane, and the Texans being able to attract a coach while the owner has said racist poo, Im pretty sure Tepper can find a way to attract a coach.

• Pie 2

13 minutes ago, BrisbanePanther said:

Contracts aren't constitutions. Good lawyers can find weak spots and exploit them. We are not in this to be collegial. It's a results-oriented business that is cutthroat and I'd be all for Tepper making more enemies if it makes Carolina the winner.

Not likely, but even if he were successful in such an effort the other owners have the power to kick him out of the league (and they would).

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Not likely, but even if he were successful in such an effort the other owners have the power to kick him out of the league (and they would).

Then we're sunk, because even if he cleans house, he will make even worse moves--even the mythical "consultant" that we're all looking for him to hire will be a dope who interviews well but will give us the first 0-17 team in history.

2 minutes ago, BrisbanePanther said:

Then we're sunk, because even if he cleans house, he will make even worse moves--even the mythical "consultant" that we're all looking for him to hire will be a dope who interviews well but will give us the first 0-17 team in history.

There are good consultants out there.

Whether or not that's who he chooses is another question.