• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Desirability of the HC job

AU-panther

I see it like the old friends running away from a bear story...Tepper doesn't have to be the best owner, just not as bad as the other potential openings, which let's review the potential/likely openings this year and compare them to Tepper:

- Davis (LV): probably even

- Johnson (NYJ): probably even

- Spanos (LA): probably better but not significantly

- Blank (ATL): way better

- Harris (WSH): unknown

- Kraft (NE): maybe better

- Benson (NO): way better

If ATL makes the playoffs, Blank won't fire Smith. Johnson could give Saleh one more year but the QB situation is a mess with Wilson. Allen is probably done.

The Carolina job would be a much better option than the Jets, so there's that. But it's definitely worse than the others, and ownership is only part of the reason.

• Beer 1

On 11/27/2023 at 9:05 PM, AU-panther said:

but the fact is these jobs are rare.  

Yeah, there is only one completely crap franchise in the NFL and that's Carolina. This franchise is headed to Jets, Browns, Bucs level of a decade of misery.  Ben Johnson turned us down last year and now people think he will take the job that has proven to be much, much worse than it looked last year???? That is funny. We will get someone ready to retire on a huge buyout from Tepper like we had with Reich. I do think the new head coach can start to accumulate a lot of high draft picks if we get rid of Fitterer.  

12 hours ago, BrisbanePanther said:

I see it like the old friends running away from a bear story...Tepper doesn't have to be the best owner, just not as bad as the other potential openings, which let's review the potential/likely openings this year and compare them to Tepper:

- Davis (LV): probably even

- Johnson (NYJ): probably even

- Spanos (LA): probably better but not significantly

- Blank (ATL): way better

- Harris (WSH): unknown

- Kraft (NE): maybe better

- Benson (NO): way better

If ATL makes the playoffs, Blank won't fire Smith. Johnson could give Saleh one more year but the QB situation is a mess with Wilson. Allen is probably done.

The Carolina job would be a much better option than the Jets, so there's that. But it's definitely worse than the others, and ownership is only part of the reason.

I would say the Jets are in a better spot. That D is elite and talented, not just scheme related. They have an amazing WR is Garrett, a HR hitter RB in Bryce Hall. They need less pieces then we do. If they could score like 21 points a game and sustain some drives they would have a crazy good record right now. 

16 minutes ago, PanthersGTI said:

I would say the Jets are in a better spot. That D is elite and talented, not just scheme related. They have an amazing WR is Garrett, a HR hitter RB in Bryce Hall. They need less pieces then we do. If they could score like 21 points a game and sustain some drives they would have a crazy good record right now. 

I could see that, and I mistakenly thought they lost their 2024 1st in the Rodgers deal, but they actually keep it now since he won't play enough snaps.

I still think that NY is a very tough market, and they are in a tougher division and conference. Saleh was supposed to be the next big thing too, and that may not be the case. As a franchise, other than '63, they've been way worse than the Panthers and Woody Johnson is one of the strangest owners in the league. That's why I still believe that it may be the only job worse than Carolina's, just not as worse as I thought.