• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Athletic: “‘Hunger Games’ culture” at BOFA

SuperBowlBound

3 minutes ago, CBDellinger said:

In regards to football operations... thats exactly what they do.  They dont have a choice.  A 5% share doesnt override the guy that owns the majority.  They'd just tell him to take his money and go elsewhere.

Giving orders is not the same as asking questions or attempting to learn. I never said the majority owner would take advice or let the minority owner have a say. And the NFL has used the Steelers to ease people from being minority owners to majority owners, so they were at least attempting to coach new owners along or hoped they would learn during their time as minority owners. Looking at the fruit of their labors, that attempt hasn't worked out too well so far.

• Pie 1

25 minutes ago, CBDellinger said:

Running a football operation isnt easy... theres some science to it and some luck... and you gotta have both on your side to be successful.  

If it were easy we wouldt have all these butt teams year in and year out.

I go back to the old quote attributed to John Wayne, "Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid" 😕

Not knowing what you're doing is nowhere near as big a problem as not knowing what you're doing but thinking that you do.

This is where I have issues with David Tepper.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, CBDellinger said:

This never made sense to me... the guy sold it for $43.5 mil... then Tepper tore it down... why would that guy he hated care?  He got his money and moved on.  Not like he took the house from him at gun point.

I'd agree.

That's not the flex he thought it was. It was just petty.

• Pie 1

Just now, jayboogieman said:

Giving orders is not the same as asking questions or attempting to learn. I never said the majority owner would take advice or let the minority owner have a say. And the NFL has used the Steelers to ease people from being minority owners to majority owners, so they were at least attempting to coach new owners along or hoped they would learn during their time as minority owners. Looking at the fruit of their labors, that attempt hasn't worked out too well so far.

Bottom line is Tepper addressed this and categorized himself as a rookie at running a team when he bought the Panthers.  You can prob find the video.. . its out there, I believe its from the time when he fired Ron.  5% just wasnt enough to matter.

Just now, CBDellinger said:

Bottom line is Tepper addressed this and categorized himself as a rookie at running a team when he bought the Panthers.  You can prob find the video.. . its out there, I believe its from the time when he fired Ron.  5% just wasnt enough to matter.

Valid, but he has also admitted that when he hired Matt Rhule, he firmly believed he was going to "show everybody in the league how it was done".

I've gotten the impression that while he likes to present himself as humble, behind the scenes it may not be as true as he'd like us to think.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

Just now, CBDellinger said:

How many years has he owned the team now? He's not a rookie nor is he a new owner anymore. You can argue that he's inexperienced, but he should be smart enough to see what he's been doing isn't working and that he needs some help.

• Pie 1

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Valid, but he has also admitted that when he hired Matt Rhule, he firmly believed he was going to "show everybody in the league how it was done".

I've gotten the impression that while he likes to present himself as humble, behind the scenes it may not be as true as he'd like us to think.

Well yeah... that's also the same time he declared he had learned what he didnt know and how it was time to put his stamp on the football side of things like hed done on the business side. 

I'd say he put on helluva stamp on it!!

• Beer 1

14 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Jim Caldwell Is the guy who got Frank into coaching. Don't buy for a minute that he would have anything to do with this.

The most reasonable suspicion seems to fall on James Campen and Chris Tabor, though I would say others who had no background with Reich may well be involved also.

Caldwell was just an example. Point still stands, I don't think it necessarily screams unprofessionalism. There are plenty of reasons to go above your boss to his. Sometimes even without going to them first, but I highlighted an hypothetical in which they could have and still ended up talking to Tepper. 

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

How many years has he owned the team now? He's not a rookie nor is he a new owner anymore. You can argue that he's inexperienced, but he should be smart enough to see what he's been doing isn't working and that he needs some help.

I am certainly not talking about present day Tepper... this is 2018/2019 big Tepp we are discussing.

He didnt buy the team and have any idea what he was doing, not to say he does now... but at least he had an excuse back then.  Owning 5% of the Steelers didnt groom him.

Edited by CBDellinger

17 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

the ny times piece on tepper is fuging scary now in hindsight

The thing that is odd about that situation is that it really is a childish move.  He bought the summer house of Corzine from the ex-wife of Corzine.  If he truly had the brass balls he talked about being on his desk, why not buy Corzine's main house or run against him and beat him in politics?  Tepper did neither.  He just flashed his money and probably overpaid Corzine's wife for it.  Then it is portrayed as some glorious victory over the man who slighted him

24 minutes ago, CBDellinger said:

In regards to football operations... thats exactly what they do.  They dont have a choice.  A 5% share doesnt override the guy that owns the majority.  They'd just tell him to take his money and go elsewhere.

Reminder that at one point tepper tried to organize the other minority owners to get Tomlin fired. 

7 minutes ago, PanthersGTI said:

Caldwell was just an example. Point still stands, I don't think it necessarily screams unprofessionalism. There are plenty of reasons to go above your boss to his. Sometimes even without going to them first, but I highlighted an hypothetical in which they could have and still ended up talking to Tepper. 

Can't agree with that at all.

I know for sure that if I'm the next head coach, and I've heard that something like this was happening on the previous staff, I'm not keeping a single damn one of them. I don't care how good they are at their job.

Edited by Mr. Scot