• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What happens from here

Mr. Scot

On 12/7/2023 at 11:51 PM, RayRedd said:

He says in this clip, “everyone in the building votes, in this case it was unanimous, I chose to veto” 

A. This is not how the best teams conduct business. They don’t conduct an election of the player. They have 1 maybe 2 football guys who make the decision(Howie Roseman, John Lynch, Tomlin, Vrabel, etc).

B. He has veto power even if they all agree!? So every coach and scout could agree and he could say no? That’s a horrible set up

C. He was front and center during the QB search. You don’t think he made it very clear who he liked best? There have been subsequent interviews where he spoke about how Bryce took command of the dinner table and he knew that’s who he wanted as his QB. Fitterer, Morgan, these guys are lackeys. Paid by Tepper. Doing what they know or think Tepper wants.

• Pie 1

Just now, Selltheteamtepper said:

He says in this clip, “everyone in the building votes, in this case it was unanimous, I chose to veto” 

A. This is not how the best teams conduct business. They don’t conduct an election of the player. They have 1 maybe 2 football guys who make the decision(Howie Roseman, John Lynch, Tomlin, Vrabel, etc).

B. He has veto power even if they all agree!? So every coach and scout could agree and he could say no? That’s a horrible set up

C. He was front and center during the QB search. You don’t think he made it very clear who he liked best? There have been subsequent interviews where he spoke about how Bryce took command of the dinner table and he knew that’s who he wanted as his QB. Fitterer, Morgan, these guys are lackeys. Paid by Tepper. Doing what they know or think Tepper wants.

*not to veto

• Pie 1

The last bit is really all that's important here.

Say what you want about Tepper I do truly believe he wants to win and has no issues spending whatever it takes to do so. The glaring issue is that he thinks his input is valuable/needed to build a winner and that could not be further from the truth.

Has the level of disaster this season has reached been enough to make him realize that he doesn't have a fuging clue what he's talking about? Is his desire to win strong enough to make him look at himself in the mirror and realize he needs to change his approach? I'm skeptical, because he's a billionaire and these types always think they know all.

Better question, is he willing to be patient to finally do a proper rebuild of this roster? Because there is not a short term fix for this.

These are the questions facing our franchise right now. I'm preaching to the choir here, but if Tepper remains involved in football-related decisions I'm not sure we'll ever be real contenders as long as he is here.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

On 12/9/2023 at 12:34 PM, electro's horse said:

lmao at joining november 27th to defend dave tepper

Not "defending" anyone. 

Simply trafficking in facts and calling out the hypocrisy/fake-news which is in endless supply here -- akin to the unquenchable gusher of cash the Saudi's are currently throwing at golf, among other things!!

On 12/8/2023 at 5:54 PM, Mr. Scot said:

I actually prefer the guy who just writes a check because few if any of them have any clue what they're doing.

It's not as big a problem in football as it is an in MLB or NBA, but some owners just don't care about winning at all if it's going to cost them extra money. The best example in the NFL is probably the Chargers who have kept one of the worst coaches in the NFL years longer than they should've and most likely squandered the rookie contract QB window that they had because the owner didn't want to pay two coaches at once.

On 12/9/2023 at 3:25 PM, FuFuLamePoo said:

The last bit is really all that's important here.

Say what you want about Tepper I do truly believe he wants to win and has no issues spending whatever it takes to do so. The glaring issue is that he thinks his input is valuable/needed to build a winner and that could not be further from the truth.

Has the level of disaster this season has reached been enough to make him realize that he doesn't have a fuging clue what he's talking about? Is his desire to win strong enough to make him look at himself in the mirror and realize he needs to change his approach? I'm skeptical, because he's a billionaire and these types always think they know all.

Better question, is he willing to be patient to finally do a proper rebuild of this roster? Because there is not a short term fix for this.

These are the questions facing our franchise right now. I'm preaching to the choir here, but if Tepper remains involved in football-related decisions I'm not sure we'll ever be real contenders as long as he is here.

I was hoping this season would force him to have an awakening as well but everything he has said to the media suggests the exact opposite. It truly seems like he believes the issue is that the team hasn't had enough of his input.

The book is already written on where we go from here. We will hire a new coach to "fix" Bryce and then abandon that plan midway through next season. He will get benched and we will fire a coach mid season for the 3rd straight year. From there, we'll take another QB in the top 5, trading up if we need to (but let's be honest, we won't). We'll continue to squander mid round picks on trade ups for players no one else wanted. The very few decent pieces we have will be long gone and we'll rinse and repeat throwing shiny new QBs to the wolves with nothing around them.

I don't mean that last sentence as a defense of Bryce btw. He isn't in a great situation but there have been many worse situations in the last 20 years that QBs have been drafted into and almost all of them have played better. He is a large part of the problem and doubling down on the pick will be a huge mistake but really will only cost us one year and whatever tiny amount of good will we have with the coaching community when we fire another one next year.

2 hours ago, IndyPanther said:

I was hoping this season would force him to have an awakening as well but everything he has said to the media suggests the exact opposite. It truly seems like he believes the issue is that the team hasn't had enough of his input.

The book is already written on where we go from here. We will hire a new coach to "fix" Bryce and then abandon that plan midway through next season. He will get benched and we will fire a coach mid season for the 3rd straight year. From there, we'll take another QB in the top 5, trading up if we need to (but let's be honest, we won't). We'll continue to squander mid round picks on trade ups for players no one else wanted. The very few decent pieces we have will be long gone and we'll rinse and repeat throwing shiny new QBs to the wolves with nothing around them.

I don't mean that last sentence as a defense of Bryce btw. He isn't in a great situation but there have been many worse situations in the last 20 years that QBs have been drafted into and almost all of them have played better. He is a large part of the problem and doubling down on the pick will be a huge mistake but really will only cost us one year and whatever tiny amount of good will we have with the coaching community when we fire another one next year.

I agree with everything you said. It's glaringly obvious this wasn't a good situation for a rookie, but it's also obvious that the player we drafted hasn't given us ANY reason to dream. Like there truly has not been one "wow" moment. Something we can hang our hats on to give us hope.

Now the ones who act like we move on this offseason are simply delusional. It's why I don't feel bad about critiquing Bryce right now. He's going to be the starter next season. It's hilarious acting like we'd have any other option anyways. At least we know who is playing quarterback next year. Maybe now we can actually focus on building up the rest of the roster which we've totally shut out in our pursuits of finding "the" quarterback.

There is some bad quarterbacking play this year. The good coaches are finding ways to win with players like Gardner Minshew and this version of Joe Flacco. We're I'm trying to go with this is is that if we can actually build a good roster it's feasible to believe the quarterback's play will improve and you can at least create a watchable product. If you have actually built a good team and then determine the quarterback can't get you over the top, then you can go all in like the Chiefs did when they moved on from Smith for Mahomes and like the Jets tried to do by trading for Rodgers.

At least by knowing Bryce is QB next year we can direct our focus to adding talent to the roster because quite literally every positional group needs it.