• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Canes Claim Goalie, Spencer Martin, Off Waivers From Columbus

Not a whole lot to like in Martin’s stats other than a six game run with Vancouver in 2021.

He has a career record of 17-26-6 (OTL).

In the 48 games that Martin has played, only five times has he held the opposing team to just one goal; he has never recorded a shutout.

Edited by MillionDollarCam
  • Pie 1

not sure why we claimed him unless Raanta is banged up or they feel like he may be better behind our defense than he's shown elsewhere? 

It's not anything to really worry over though, if he's just a try-out or insurance policy for a week or two we can just waive him and send him to Chicago or something if he clears.

Weird move, maybe just want to give the guy a look?

I saw Friedman was speculating we might try and get Flowers(MAF) after the break, Colorado in on the mix on that one too since Minnesota is probably going to be below the playoff line.

That’s a rental we could probably swing but I see two issues with it besides the fact we’d probably have to give up a player(Necas) since no we are not trading Nikishin’s rights(and yes everyone has been asking for him. Literally the entire NHL would probably give us a 1st first round pick and their star player and their first born child to get this kids rights in the NHL. Honestly that’s probably why we haven’t made in blockbuster trades over the past few years. Cause everyone adds him in their deal.)

First off Flowers is a 1A goalie, I’m not sure how that would jive with how we are progressing Pyotr. We a definitely putting him in a position to be our 1 for years to come. Yes, Flowers could probably coach him a whole lot though. It would also mean Freddie would be done for the season.

Two, Flowers has been incredibly inconsistent in the playoffs dating back to the Golden Knights. (Yes I know he has three cup wins already before that.) But in the past like 5-6 years he’s fallen off, his numbers have been good up, until last year, but his definitely in his waning years playoff-wise. Perhaps our D could help alleviate his problem. 

Edited by Harbingers

5 minutes ago, Rocky Davis said:

not sure why we claimed him unless Raanta is banged up or they feel like he may be better behind our defense than he's shown elsewhere? 

It's not anything to really worry over though, if he's just a try-out or insurance policy for a week or two we can just waive him and send him to Chicago or something if he clears.

Ya he could be insurance for Peret’s in the backup spot. But I’d rather see Peret’s. Plus I think Pyotr will be back Sunday, definitely Wednesday in Boston. 

10 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

Ya he could be insurance for Peret’s in the backup spot. But I’d rather see Peret’s. Plus I think Pyotr will be back Sunday, definitely Wednesday in Boston. 

Also nvm about Pyotr. They just put him on short term IR. FML. That means we won’t see him until after the all-star break most likely as that put a 7 day clock on him. 

I’d really wish they hadn’t made this move. I really want him to be game ready for Vancouver coming to town after the break, cause there is no way unless our D don’t allow any shots Raanta, Perets or Martin is stopping that Offensive right now. 

I'll just copy this from the game day thread. I posted this earlier this morning:

"I have zero confidence in the goalie situation right now. A stretch of not so easy games against Detroit, Minnesota on Sunday and into Boston next Wednesday."

And, I'll add this:

The Canes will not make the playoffs with either Raanta and (insert name here) or Kochetkov and (insert name here). 

We may as well just let the entire locker room know that it's going to take 5 goals a game to win.

Edited by Anybodyhome

40 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

I'll just copy this from the game day thread. I posted this earlier this morning:

"I have zero confidence in the goalie situation right now. A stretch of not so easy games against Detroit, Minnesota on Sunday and into Boston next Wednesday."

And, I'll add this:

The Canes will not make the playoffs with either Raanta and (insert name here) or Kochetkov and (insert name here). 

We may as well just let the entire locker room know that it's going to take 5 goals a game to win.

Honestly, I think Kochetkov and Raanta in the playoffs would be fine. But like I said in the above post Marc Andre Fleury may be on the rental shelf and if Freddie isn’t coming back we could swing that salary cap-wise. My biggest concern is MAF would have to be 1B if we are really trying to develop Pyotr this season. Not sure he’s willing to do that if he is on the rental shelf for the playoffs. 

Edited by Harbingers

2 hours ago, Harbingers said:

I’d rather give this guy a shot than Martin. But I’d still rather get a full game look at Perets. 

I wouldn’t mind a full game by Perets either. Why not it’s a hella gamble already signing Martin who has the stats near Raanta.

• Pie 1