• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Looks like to clear cap space

Panthero

But hey all this aside - the formula is easy:

Step 1 - hire a young, relatively inexpensive coach who grows into the next Belichik very quickly - DONE

Step 2 - Sign 6-7 free agents under 25 years old who everyone else undervalues so they don't cost very much

Step 3 - Hit an absolute homerun on every pick in the 2024 draft - something we we rarely get right even once in a single drat

See guys.....nothing to worry about....only 3 steps and we are there.

• Pie 1

52 minutes ago, Stingray3030 said:

Spotrac says we are at $32M - the number I heard was closer to $28.5M - and we are ranked 11th in the league, so we aren't that bad off in those terms.  Also according to Spotrac we can clear an additional $20M if we restructure the 7 available putting us around $50M. Cutting Thomas is $2.2M, cutting Donte is almost $6M.

If we do just the restructures we would still have around $29M - but keep in mind we also have the resign or replace Luvu, Franklin, Henderson, Gross-Matos, Haynes, Grugier-Hill, Chinn, Shenault, ISM - AND rookies which won't be too bad since we have no 1st rd pick.

But yeah this is gonna take a few years boys.

No more restructuring contracts! It's time to knuckle up and get this right. There's only 2 players that deserve new contracts and I don't need to tell you who they are. Let the rest walk if there's no buyer and cut your losses. 

• Pie 3

4 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

No more restructuring contracts! It's time to knuckle up and get this right. There's only 2 players that deserve new contracts and I don't need to tell you who they are. Let the rest walk if there's no buyer and cut your losses. 

Accessible. I do not think it means, what you think it means. | by Rebecca  Cokley | Medium

Edited by Stingray3030

9 hours ago, BrianS said:

Worst roster in the NFL.  30 million in cap.  This is not my definition of "good".

A cap guru's job supposedly is just to arrange contracts, normally they wouldn't have any input into selecting talent.  Or at least they shouldn't.  To me, the GM and the coach should say, here is who we want, figure out a way to sign him that doesn't break the bank.  And I think Sulieman did that.  

If the rumors that he was somehow involved in actual player selection, then that would be the fault of the GM and Owner for allowing that to happen.  

2 hours ago, Stingray3030 said:

But hey all this aside - the formula is easy:

Step 1 - hire a young, relatively inexpensive coach who grows into the next Belichik very quickly - DONE

Step 2 - Sign 6-7 free agents under 25 years old who everyone else undervalues so they don't cost very much

Step 3 - Hit an absolute homerun on every pick in the 2024 draft - something we we rarely get right even once in a single drat

See guys.....nothing to worry about....only 3 steps and we are there.

You forgot, use a 6th round pick to get one of the best qb's ever.  

4 hours ago, Stingray3030 said:

Spotrac says we are at $32M - the number I heard was closer to $28.5M - and we are ranked 11th in the league, so we aren't that bad off in those terms.  Also according to Spotrac we can clear an additional $20M if we restructure the 7 available putting us around $50M. Cutting Thomas is $2.2M, cutting Donte is almost $6M.

If we do just the restructures we would still have around $29M - but keep in mind we also have the resign or replace Luvu, Franklin, Henderson, Gross-Matos, Haynes, Grugier-Hill, Chinn, Shenault, ISM - AND rookies which won't be too bad since we have no 1st rd pick.

But yeah this is gonna take a few years boys.

Thanks. The number I saw was around 28, I misspoke in my initial post. I don't know enough about cap stuff to do what you did, but that's promising. Looks like some moves can be made. 

11 hours ago, Panthero said:

Thanks. The number I saw was around 28, I misspoke in my initial post. I don't know enough about cap stuff to do what you did, but that's promising. Looks like some moves can be made. 

It honestly isn't knowledge I had - there is a tool on Spotrac that gives estimates.  🙂

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Panthero said:

Oh snap. How have I not noticed that? Yikes. 

When you have the Panthers main salary cap page open, on the right side is a blue button that says "manage roster" and has a panthers icon on it.  Click that and you can see different options and what happens to the cap.  I did this last year prior to our moves and it is fairly close the reality when the moves happened.

• Pie 1

18 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

This is important.  All the restructures are what got us the worst roster in the NFL with $30 million for free agents.  We keep thinking we can get away with it but we can't.

Houston did it right from a cap perspective.  They took 2023 and said "This is a throw away.  We have a rookie QB, let's get it right for next year".  They had $47 million in dead cap for 2023.  Now, they have $65 million in free cap for 2024.  They paid the price and now look at them.  Houston never intended to compete this year, they were carried to it by an otherworldly start by their rookie QB.

• Pie 3

There is enough wiggle room to get around 60 million if you do post 6/1 cuts. 

Sanders, Thompson and Jackson (10m) come to mind as cuts while you can restructure Bozeman, Tuttle, Thielen, Hurst, and Moton.

You could also cut Woods and save about 3-4 and Piniero and save about 2-2.5 but they are probably part of the team next year. The way Bell's is set up, you're better off letting it play out than trying to restructure. 

60 million and the draft picks should be enough for this era to start with. You could also resign Brown and save a tiny bit more this year by putting more on the backend. 

The question is do you want to trade Burns for a late first so you can have one to pick somebody you like or trade it back for even more picks.

7 minutes ago, ProcessBlue2 said:

There is enough wiggle room to get around 60 million if you do post 6/1 cuts. 

Sanders, Thompson and Jackson (10m) come to mind as cuts while you can restructure Bozeman, Tuttle, Thielen, Hurst, and Moton.

You could also cut Woods and save about 3-4 and Piniero and save about 2-2.5 but they are probably part of the team next year. The way Bell's is set up, you're better off letting it play out than trying to restructure. 

60 million and the draft picks should be enough for this era to start with. You could also resign Brown and save a tiny bit more this year by putting more on the backend. 

The question is do you want to trade Burns for a late first so you can have one to pick somebody you like or trade it back for even more picks.

I'd cut Jackson as one of my post June cuts.   Brings the hit down to 5M.