• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Craig Carton of FOX Sports: Bryce Young is not an NFL quarterback and never will be

21 minutes ago, jeffashe135 said:

Is there a source for this? I'm under the impression that they never once tipped their hand on who they wanted. If I recall correctly, the Texans were content to stay at 2 at pick Stroud once they found out we were going to Bryce. That to me is a sign that the Texans had wanted Stroud all along.

Jay Glazer and Adam Schefter.

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2023/04/25/2023-nfl-draft-panthers-texans-raiders-favorite-bryce-young/

On Tuesday, FOX Sports NFL insider Jay Glazer joined The Dan Le Batard Show with Stugotz to clear up the air atop the 2023 draft—which was a bit clouded this morning by the sudden increase in odds for Will Levis. Not only did Glazer affirm that Young is still the favorite for Carolina, but he also stated that the University of Alabama quarterback was the favorite for at least two other passer-needy squads.

“Obviously, 1—it’s Bryce Young. That’s where they’re going,” he said. “I think that people were trying to smokescreen right now that they’re not. There’s a big drop-off for everybody. Everybody’s bored, it was Bryce Young first, then even though he’s got a smaller frame.

“But it’s interesting because Houston at 2—that’s the guy they wanted. They weren’t able to move up for him. Obviously, that’s who Carolina wanted. That’s who the Raiders wanted.”

Fellow league insider Adam Schefter had the same intel, as he noted in his recent podcast episode with Panthers general manager Scott Fitterer. Schefter said that the Texans were “very close” to acquiring the No. 1 overall pick from the Chicago Bears before Carolina swooped in on March 10.

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

If young played like he was 6’4” no one would care about his size. He plays like he’s 5’2” is the problem. 

That's understandable.  He has to build confidence and play better next year no doubt.  Hopefully we build a decent little offense around him and turn him lose.  If we find ourselves with the top pick again and little to no progress from him I wouldn't be surprised if we try for another QB.  

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

Jay Glazer and Adam Schefter.

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2023/04/25/2023-nfl-draft-panthers-texans-raiders-favorite-bryce-young/

On Tuesday, FOX Sports NFL insider Jay Glazer joined The Dan Le Batard Show with Stugotz to clear up the air atop the 2023 draft—which was a bit clouded this morning by the sudden increase in odds for Will Levis. Not only did Glazer affirm that Young is still the favorite for Carolina, but he also stated that the University of Alabama quarterback was the favorite for at least two other passer-needy squads.

“Obviously, 1—it’s Bryce Young. That’s where they’re going,” he said. “I think that people were trying to smokescreen right now that they’re not. There’s a big drop-off for everybody. Everybody’s bored, it was Bryce Young first, then even though he’s got a smaller frame.

“But it’s interesting because Houston at 2—that’s the guy they wanted. They weren’t able to move up for him. Obviously, that’s who Carolina wanted. That’s who the Raiders wanted.”

Fellow league insider Adam Schefter had the same intel, as he noted in his recent podcast episode with Panthers general manager Scott Fitterer. Schefter said that the Texans were “very close” to acquiring the No. 1 overall pick from the Chicago Bears before Carolina swooped in on March 10.

The fact that the Texans didn't trade up to one suggests (to me) that they weren't sold on Bryce. 

6 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

if the texans wanted bryce they would have drafted bryce

Kind of difficult when he's not available at your pick

Everyone and their mother knew they wanted Bryce. The entire storyline here was that they wouldn't pick Stroud because of his agent. Does everyone have amnesia all of a sudden for the sake of this debate?

Edited by csx
  • Pie 3

12 minutes ago, jeffashe135 said:

The fact that the Texans didn't trade up to one suggests (to me) that they weren't sold on Bryce. 

Yeah we wanted the top pick more. Hell their HC still won’t say they preferred Stroud, just “we liked both options.” If Stroud was there guy he would have no problem saying we got our guy. 
I believe the link you shared is referencing another trade the Texans attempted involved us as a 3rd team. The first one was straight up to 1 but the cost way too high for one spot. It mentioned they wanted pick 12 or next year’s first. I don’t blame them for staying put and it definitely worked out with them getting Stroud.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, csx said:

Kind of difficult when he's not available at your pick

Right. Logic is tough for some people. It’s sad because I actually wanted Stroud, but I’m not rewriting history and acting like Young was some reach or no one else wanted him. I was ok with the pick when it happened, still thought Stroud had the highest floor. 

Just now, ForJimmy said:

Right. Logic is tough for some people. It’s sad because I actually wanted Stroud, but I’m not rewriting history and acting like Young was some reach or no one else wanted him. I was ok with the pick when it happened, still thought Stroud had the highest floor. 

I wanted Stoud too. 

But facts are facts and these clowns attempting to change Youngs height and revisionist history is pathetic given we already know otherwise 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

Yeah we wanted the top pick more. Hell their HC still won’t say they preferred Stroud, just “we liked both options.” If Stroud was there guy he would have no problem saying we got our guy. 
I believe the link you shared is referencing another trade the Texans attempted involved us as a 3rd team. The first one was straight up to 1 but the cost way too high for one spot. It mentioned they wanted pick 12 or next year’s first. I don’t blame them for staying put and it definitely worked out with them getting Stroud.

Well, that's not how I remembered it. At one point, the Texans, Bears, and Panthers were all communicating with each other on a deal. At the time, Chicago had the 1st pick, and Houston had the 2nd pick. Originally, the deal was that Houston would trade up to 1 (swapping places with Chicago), with the Panthers then trading with Chicago to get the 2. Many expected Houston to draft Bryce with the would-be 1st pick, but that's just a speculation. Nobody knows for sure if Houston had truly wanted Bryce. In any event, Houston backed out of the deal and decided to stick with 2, which then prompted Tepper to work out a new deal with Chicago to get their 1st pick. Now, at this point, many speculated that Houston would skip drafting a QB entirely and instead use the 2nd pick to draft Will Anderson. However, this speculation is based on the assumption that Houston believed the only QB worth drafting was Bryce, and that the price to trade up to 1 to draft him was not worth it. Again, this assumption is without evidence. Far more likely is that Houston found out Tepper and Fitt were dead set on Bryce, so instead of wasting capital to trade up to 1, Houston was happy to remain at 2 and take Stroud and still have enough capital left over to trade for 3 and draft Will Anderson Jr, which is exactly how Houston ended up with both the Offensive and Defensive Rookies of the Year. If Houston had really wanted Bryce over Stroud, they would have traded up to 1 and taken Bryce. 

21 minutes ago, jeffashe135 said:

Well, that's not how I remembered it. At one point, the Texans, Bears, and Panthers were all communicating with each other on a deal. At the time, Chicago had the 1st pick, and Houston had the 2nd pick. Originally, the deal was that Houston would trade up to 1 (swapping places with Chicago), with the Panthers then trading with Chicago to get the 2. Many expected Houston to draft Bryce with the would-be 1st pick, but that's just a speculation. Nobody knows for sure if Houston had truly wanted Bryce. In any event, Houston backed out of the deal and decided to stick with 2, which then prompted Tepper to work out a new deal with Chicago to get their 1st pick. Now, at this point, many speculated that Houston would skip drafting a QB entirely and instead use the 2nd pick to draft Will Anderson. However, this speculation is based on the assumption that Houston believed the only QB worth drafting was Bryce, and that the price to trade up to 1 to draft him was not worth it. Again, this assumption is without evidence. Far more likely is that Houston found out Tepper and Fitt were dead set on Bryce, so instead of wasting capital to trade up to 1, Houston was happy to remain at 2 and take Stroud and still have enough capital left over to trade for 3 and draft Will Anderson Jr, which is exactly how Houston ended up with both the Offensive and Defensive Rookies of the Year. If Houston had really wanted Bryce over Stroud, they would have traded up to 1 and taken Bryce. 

https://atozsports.com/carolina/panthers-could-have-drafted-cj-sroud-houston-texans-drafted-bryce-young-2023-nfl-draft-houston-chronicle/

McClain is also claiming the Texans wanted Young. Add him to Glazer and Schefter’s sources.

Again we jumped them by including a young player in Moore. That’s what moved the needle. Texans thought it was too costly and we sweetened the deal. Yes it worked out great for Houston. Winning that “meaningless” game changed everything. 

Edited by ForJimmy

Facts

many experts had Bryce as the best qb 
Bryce is short

Bryce is not a physical specimen 

Bryce has issues

Bryce was in a shitty situation

none of it matters anymore 

he is here   Might as well live with it and let it go

the panthers, due to Impatience, have   blown the past 4 years … in  typical franchise fashion, instead of improving the roster, and waiting for the qb rich 2024 draft, they blew it…just as they  blew the drafts before this one with no blueprint … they are bottom feeders until they stop throwing poo on a wall and hoping it sticks 

it’s really that simple.  I believe young  is not going to make it. Not his fault this organization did what it did   Young was always a risk. But, it was the Panthers brain trust who took that risk and compounded it 

Edited by raleigh-panther
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1