• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So.... do we win a game next year?

On 3/20/2024 at 8:58 AM, CRA said:

I mean, that's just the blueprint for a team with no QB that can't actually do anything.  Survival and trying to not get embarrassed.  Steal a game here or there.  Brag about being competitive. 

That's generally not the what a franchise should be thinking in year 2 after giving up the farm for the #1 overall pick QB.   Just cut the QB or sign someone else. 

Canales isn't a run guy.  All those saying he wants to be run first (including himself).....are just politely saying they go zero faith in Bryce Young to be anything. 

but you also don't expect your QB1 that you gave up the farm for being on a team that has the most dysfunctional coaching staff and a HC that gets fired 11 games into their first season because no one on the coaching staff could agree on anything pertaining to the offense or the QB. 

and for ANY QB taken at any point in the draft, in his first year or two you want to have a system that makes it easier for the QB to acclimate where the OL is stout and the run game is strong. you need to give your QB1 early on a chance to grow without being forced into some high powered passing offense because you NEVER know for sure just what all needs to be worked out until you see them in action and you discover what can be done and what needs helped in your pro offense. 

i think people just have some unrealistic expectations and standards for a rookie taken in the first round, especially first overall.

• Beer 2

13 minutes ago, rayzor said:

but you also don't expect your QB1 that you gave up the farm for being on a team that has the most dysfunctional coaching staff and a HC that gets fired 11 games into their first season because no one on the coaching staff could agree on anything pertaining to the offense or the QB. 

and for ANY QB taken at any point in the draft, in his first year or two you want to have a system that makes it easier for the QB to acclimate where the OL is stout and the run game is strong. you need to give your QB1 early on a chance to grow without being forced into some high powered passing offense because you NEVER know for sure just what all needs to be worked out until you see them in action and you discover what can be done and what needs helped in your pro offense. 

i think people just have some unrealistic expectations and standards for a rookie taken in the first round, especially first overall.

I mean, I'm not an it's all Bryce's fault guy. 

I was one of the view voices that didn't think we were setting him up for success when folks were talking playoffs/dream staff/best roster since 2003 type junk.  I frankly still don't think we are.  I haven't really changed there either.  I don't think Canales' O he ran in Tampa fits.  And still think to set him up for success you need a Bryce Young specific O with playmakers at slot, rec RB and TE.  Not average joes.  You got to either embrace the small ball he fits or don't.  We haven't. 

I still think we are a marriage of parts that don't really fix.   Really by design.  Think we are just continuing that.  Hard to imagine Canales actual being all in on the QB that the last HC/GM were fired over.    

I just think it's tough to overlook what an anomaly Bryce Young is.  I do think Parcells was right, if you are going to draft that....he better walk on water.  Then to top off his limitations with his more risk adverse nature? I just think his ceiling is forever low.   

• Pie 3

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

I mean, I'm not an it's all Bryce's fault guy. 

I was one of the view voices that didn't think we were setting him up for success when folks were talking playoffs/dream staff/best roster since 2003 type junk.  I frankly still don't think we are.  I haven't really changed there either.  I don't think Canales' O he ran in Tampa fits.  And still think to set him up for success you need a Bryce Young specific O with playmakers at slot, rec RB and TE.  Not average joes.  You got to either embrace the small ball he fits or don't.  We haven't. 

I just think it's tough to overlook what an anomaly Bryce Young is.  I do think Parcells was right, if you are going to draft that....he better walk on water.  Then to top off his limitations with his more risk adverse nature? I just think his ceiling is forever low.   

after a full season, he just didn't show anything.  Or at least I didn't see it.  And I can't think of any QB that worked out that showed nothing special over a year of starting. 

i will say that when i watched his "highlights" from last year i came away bored and i'm not sure i even made t through them, but a lot of that just has to do with just the absolute clusterf*ck last season was...and that he contributed to. i was underwhelmed, but i still just don't think that last year told us much about what he's capable or not capable of. i think what it did effectively do is put Bryce in the worst possible situations and overall just did a great job of showing where he needs work. nothing was hidden and all limitations were exposed. 

this year. we are banking on 3 things: 1) that Canales can show Bryce a better way of doing QB 2) that canales can build an offense around what Bryce can do as an improved version of himself, 3) that bryce can make whatever adjustments need to be made to become that improved version of himself.

is it work that we should have to do for a QB we sold the farm for? right now, that's just a question that doesn't matter. it's hindsight. what matters isn't what we should have done. what matters is what can be done now with who we have and i think everyone would benefit from having an open mind about it and just watch and see when we've got something to watch and see. 

at this point in the season, all we've got are words and the laying out of a plan to deal with Bryce. Again, should we have to work hard to come up with a plan to deal with Bryce? Again, it's a question that doesn't matter at the moment. We've got who we've got and we've got the situation we've got and we just have to hope that Canales can get it worked out, because the alternative is another few years of poo.

• Pie 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2024 at 9:58 AM, rayzor said:

we are banking on 3 things: 1) that Canales can show Bryce a better way of doing QB 2) that canales can build an offense around what Bryce can do as an improved version of himself, 3) that bryce can make whatever adjustments need to be made to become that improved version of himself.

Snipping that out up there... I am banking that Canales has the advantage of absolute certainty of what he is dealing with at QB and will not be hindered as Reich was last year by Brown’s forced involvement (I never understood why you hire a NFL lifer that played QB and is seen as a QB guru head coach but give a former running back ,who had never done it before, dominion over the scheme) 

I expect to see more what I expected to see last year. 

A shrunken field, congested LOS, teams daring our QB to beat them with his arm. So a bunch of short quick stuff but I don’t know what kind of running attack.. depending on if they can get any kind of under center QB play, or if it just all weak ass shotgun type of PA that fools no one. I guess a pro coach can work something up but it does not seem to be anywhere close to an ideal situation.

I mean, I believe Canales knows what needs to be done, but I am not sure it can be executed and if not, he can’t do it that way, as we watched happen last year. Which would possible resolve this situation moving forward, and that is what I want to see ASAP.

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, strato said:

Snipping that out up there... I am banking that Canales has the advantage of absolute certainty of what he is dealing with at QB and will not be hindered as Reich was last year by Brown’s forced involvement (I never understood why you hire a NFL lifer that played QB and is seen as a QB guru head coach but give a former running back ,who had never done it before, dominion over the scheme) 

I expect to see more what I expected to see last year. 

A shrunken field, congested LOS, teams daring our QB to beat them with his arm. So a bunch of short quick stuff but I don’t know what kind of running attack.. depending on if they can get any kind of under center QB play, or if it just all weak ass shotgun type of PA that fools no one. I guess a pro coach can work something up but it does not seem to be anywhere close to an ideal situation.

I mean, I believe Canales knows what needs to be done, but I am not sure it can be executed and if not, he can’t do it that way, as we watched happen last year. Which would possible resolve this situation moving forward, and that is what I want to see ASAP.

I think he can get it done, but I doubt it will be quick. I think it will be a slow and agonizing process (I hate that word) and just like the run game with Tampa, we could be a half season in before things start to click at all and we see any progress.

I'm just not expecting much the first half because it's a lot of people who have to learn their roles and get comfortable with their place in the big picture.

I do think it will start off relatively simple so they just have to learn how to do simple things really well and build from that foundation.

• Beer 2