• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is the OL Set with 8 Players?

MHS831

I'd say we are off to a good start, Corbett at Center is not something I take issue with considering 1) he has played the position in the NFL before, and 2) would have an entire off-season to acclimate. 

Mays, and Zavala are each day 3 picks so they are decent depth in a pinch, I think we need one more Day 2 caliber addition to compliment Yosh, and BC, and I think that comes in Rd 2 or 3.

If we traded 33, and one of our 5ths that would be -- 615 pts on the JJ chart, so we could jump into that last three picks of the first ''if'' there was someone there we really liked, and coveted a 5th year option. 

We could get that pick back by trading back in Rd 3 or 4 to stay at 7 total picks, or maybe they trade back multiple times from the 3rd round on, considering the thoughtful aggression so far this off-season I think it may still be prudent to keep an eye on day one of the draft. 

4 hours ago, grimesgoat said:

Our OL salary in 2024 is 69m vs. 42m league average.  It is expected to balloon to 87m in 2025, second highest in the league, and that is without Corbett.  You have to find a way to bring the average down to a reasonable level.  Team-building means looking out more than the current year.

Yeah, hence why we should be drafting. The guys you are talking about make the investment foolish.

21 hours ago, MHS831 said:

Thanks to BC's versatility and the addition of Nijman as a swing OT, the costs we have spent on the OL may save us a roster spot.  First, Brady Christensen has played OT and OG for Carolina, and he has always been a notch below average, according to PFF.  Last season, they talked about giving him looks at center, but his injury prevented that from happening.   Most of his experience here is at G, but he also has swing OT abilities.  Nijman is an excellent swing OT, an important addition that gives us Ekwonu insurance and depth at both T spots.  If you consider Cade May has been mentioned as the new backup Center behind Corbett, then he also has the ability to play 3 positions.  Here is how you have solid depth three deep and you do so with better and fewer players.  In the past, the OL has been a madhouse when a lineman goes down--we had 2.  It seems we had someone new in the game every week.  The OL needs to know the system and they need to communicate.  If I were coach, I would carry 8 total OL on the 53-man roster, saving at least one roster spot, and I would feel confident that I had depth on three levels.  Here is what it would look like:

(I would keep Zavala on the PS to begin the season--he needs it)  Green indicates a free agent addition

image.png.58dd7fe160e6e684b03fff793d14628c.png

We roll with 9 on the 53 man roster.  I think BC gets some snaps at as the primary backup to Corbett.  Mays I would put as the third string center and backup RG.  Zavala will be the primary backup to Lewis.  From week to week, depending on injuries, I can see either/both of them (Mays/Zavala) being inactive.  We probably only roll with BC and Yosh as the active backup linemen assuming the starting five are all healthy.

• Pie 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 45catfan said:

We roll with 9 on the 53 man roster.  I think BC gets some snaps at as the primary backup to Corbett.  Mays I would put as the third string center and backup RG.  Zavala will be the primary backup to Lewis.  From week to week, depending on injuries, I can see either/both of them (Mays/Zavala) being inactive.  We probably only roll with BC and Yosh as the active backup linemen assuming the starting five are all healthy.

Most likely.  However, when you have this much position versatility, I could see an innovative GM/coach going with 8 players and using the PS to house 2. Not many teams have 2 swing OTs (one plays G and possibly C), and Mays who has played both G spots and they are grooming him to be C.  ON PAPER, it is a unique situation.  Take any of the starting 5 out, and it is a safe bet that Yosh or BC is the backup.  Not sure about C.  I guess it depends on this--is BC a "swing G"?  I think he would be better at RG than Mays.  I also think (opinion) that Mays should focus on C.  They guy has played all over the LOS at 2 colleges and again here--IMO, he would be better if he focused on the one position.

The point was this (to me):  Do we have the versatility to keep 8 on the 53?  I think we could.  I mean, most teams carry but dress as few as seven for game day.  If we kept 8, most games one would be inactive.  However, this could also suggest that the Panthers are going to draft a Center. 

In 2012, the Pittsburgh Steelers carried 7 on their 53 man roster. 

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 1