• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A cargo ship crashed into the Scott Key Bridge after 1 AM causing it to collapse

jayboogieman

18 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

I have traveled across that bridge. 

What a scary situation.  If you are on the bridge and see it coming, not much you can do.  I guess you open the car window so you can get out when the car sinks, but that is about it.  

Looked like the ship lost power for few minutes and when power came back on,  the ship tried to do everything to avoid hitting the support beam but it was too late.  Freak accident.

Edited by Lame Duck

23 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

I have traveled across that bridge. 

What a scary situation.  If you are on the bridge and see it coming, not much you can do.  I guess you open the car window so you can get out when the car sinks, but that is about it.  

Always be prepared in case something like that actually happens. The moment you feel the bridge collapse immediately reach for your windows and roll them down as you're falling. Last thing you want is to be trapped in a sinking car with no way out.

5 minutes ago, Lame Duck said:

Lay on your back and relax with face to the sky.  

I thought swimming involved arm and leg movement?

I had a bad experience as a teen at the beach. Stepped in what felt like a sinkhole almost drowned. Lucky my uncle was nearby and saw me struggling to stay above water. Ever since then I haven't really been a fan of deep water. I'm 34 now and I still get goosebumps going past knee deep water. I usually stay out the water on my trips to the beach.

• Pie 1

Just now, CamWhoaaCam said:

I had a bad experience as a teen at the beach. Stepped in what felt like a sinkhole almost drowned. Lucky my uncle was nearby and saw me struggling to stay above water. Ever since then I haven't really been a fan of deep water. I'm 34 now and I still get goosebumps going past knee deep water. I usually stay out the water on my trips to the beach.

Your body has a natural tendency to float, so if you get free of the vehicle/whatever and let go you'll float to the surface.  Then there are a few different techniques you can use to float until help arrives:

https://aceboater.com/en-us/in-water-survival

Trust me though I get it.  My grandmother on my mom's side was a young child in Wyoming back in the era when a lot of rural people still got around by horse, and there was some kind of incident where the family tried to cross a river and she almost drowned.  She was terrified of water her entire life.  Like wouldn't even get into the shallow end of a pool at the beach.

• Pie 1

21 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

I nearly drowned as a kid.  My buddy who knew how to swim, pulled me out in last second.  I already knew I will die when I go yanked.

Now, I’m a certified scuba diver. 

No Problem Whatever GIF by The Good Films

Edited by Lame Duck
  • Pie 1

9 minutes ago, The NFL Shield At Midfield said:

Your body has a natural tendency to float, so if you get free of the vehicle/whatever and let go you'll float to the surface.  Then there are a few different techniques you can use to float until help arrives:

https://aceboater.com/en-us/in-water-survival

Trust me though I get it.  My grandmother on my mom's side was a young child in Wyoming back in the era when a lot of rural people still got around by horse, and there was some kind of incident where the family tried to cross a river and she almost drowned.  She was terrified of water her entire life.  Like wouldn't even get into the shallow end of a pool at the beach.

Yeah certain events will stay with you for a long time. That moment I will never forget because if nobody was around I was pretty sure that was going to be the last moment on earth.

It's kind of hard for me to take swimming lessons when I don't really care to be around a lot of water. Maybe one day I will actually get over that fear.

Oh yeah I also forgot another reason im so scared, my older cousins would drag me in the deep water and laugh when I was struggling to stay above water. Of course they were playing, but that stuff plays with your mind. I would hate going to the Lake just because I knew they would force me in the deeper water.

17 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Oh yeah I also forgot another reason im so scared, my older cousins would drag me in the deep water and laugh when I was struggling to stay above water. Of course they were playing, but that stuff plays with your mind. I would hate going to the Lake just because I knew they would force me in the deeper water.

There's always going to be some horseplay with kids but some poo like that can turn tragic easily.  If we were doing that and some adults saw it they never tolerated it for good reason.

I remember getting into a fight with a bigger, stronger kid who was older than me at a public pool once.  He overpowered me and had me in a chokehold underwater in the shallow end.  I still remember the sensation of not being able to escape and not being able to breathe no matter how much I was struggling to.

• Pie 1

22 minutes ago, The NFL Shield At Midfield said:

There's always going to be some horseplay with kids but some poo like that can turn tragic easily.  If we were doing that and some adults saw it they never tolerated it for good reason.

I remember getting into a fight with a bigger, stronger kid who was older than me at a public pool once.  He overpowered me and had me in a chokehold underwater in the shallow end.  I still remember the sensation of not being able to escape and not being able to breathe no matter how much I was struggling to.

Nah it wasn't like that. They were my cousins. They always played around with me like that. They would always make sure I stay above the water. They just like teasing me about not being able to swim. I wasn't the only one they did it to. Just family having fun although I was legit afraid when they did it lol

I will say Jaws did it for me.  Thankfully years of Shark Week fixed that by the time I was 15 or so. 😃  But I do get the fear of water.

I do have another fear of open water.  It's more the threat of drowning, being lost, etc.  When I was young, my parents used to send me to Camp Thunderbird where we learned to sail little sail boats, among other things.  It was fine along the shore, but when we got a bit into open water, it was not good.  My partner, an older kid who had spent time sailing in previous summers wanted to really mess with me.  So he sailed us out into the middle of the lake and capsized the boat on purpose.  So here I was, in the middle of Lake Wylie in a life raft with the other kid laughing and chilling.  Yeah, in retrospect this was the early 1990s so safety was just kind of a don't die thing.  I freaked out, swam to the nearest shore and walked back to the camp.  When I showed up after dinner, I got yelled at for walking along the highways around the lake.  Nothing happened to the kid who tipped us over.  Ahh, the 90s...

I'm better about it as an adult, but I am still uncomfortable over large areas of water.

For the actual bridge, it's a tragedy.  Once the investigation comes back to the boat, I wonder how much corporate "profts over safety" we'll see.

• Pie 1