• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Receiver Archetype We're targeting...

3 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I wonder if the Colts are looking at him to reunite with AR. They do already have Downs in the slot though.  

From what I gather, they could be targeting an IDL like Byron Murphy or Newton, otherwise, Quinyon Mitchell would be a good fit at CB.  I also imagine Brian Thomas could be available around their pick.  Lots of possibilities for them. 

Overall, the OL and DL in this draft will be more coveted than let on and I think there may only be 5 WRs gone by 33.  

I think we're looking at some sort of combo from this crop below at 33 and 39:

WR: AD Mitchell, Pearsall, Franklin, McConkey

TE: Sanders

EDGE: Chop, Kneeland, Ellis 

CB: McKinstry, DeJean, Tampa, Wiggins

IDL: JP-J, Suamataia

The top-3 LBs and maybe Trey Benson long shots at 39.  

1 minute ago, top dawg said:

Pearsall has some good characteristics, but he will never be an X from what I just looked at. I think that the slot fits his type of play well. He's more of a shifty and "slashy" type of receiver who can exploit zones, and his game speed isn't as fast as his 40 time would indicate. I don't think that he's overly physical, and I don't see number one upside with Pearsall. I'd think about him though, but somewhere in the 3rd---maybe late 2nd. There is certainly a way to exploit his talents.

I get Chris Godwin vibes with the kid. He's one of "my guys" in the draft so that was my table pound/elevator pitch.

Flanker/Slot combo type who will infuriate defenses.  Played 194 snaps outside compared to 260 in the slot with good downfield looks in school.

His toughness is definitely a big selling point, he takes hits, has made many tough catches contested through contact.  If you take us out of the equation, I don't see him going much further than the mid-40s.  If you just lay out the traits: 

Measurables: Size - 6'1 192, 4.41, he's not some undersized slot-only type

Route running - huge check

Hands - check

Positional Flexibility - check

Quickness - check - the guy just gets open

Only true negative I see is that he's a bit less fluid/loose type than some others, but he's got the technical wherewithal, snap quickness, combined with positional flexibility that sets him ahead.  He gets open, doesn't drop, and is instantly a top-20 route runner in the league once drafted.

Brugler reported a few teams were very high on him, one team's scouting room had him graded the same as BT Jr.  Pretty interesting.     

Smaller and shiftier is always a better friend for the pocket qb. Edelman, Wes walker, hogan. Unless the qb is a gunslinger, then the bigger jump ball guy. First priority should be Qb friendly options like a LaPorta or Waddle. Doubt either will be available in the 2nd, if not, then go OL or RB

I think you will be able to tell through their Top 30 visits. Right now it is just Brendan Rice and Malachi Corley. I imagine this gets longer (Legette, Franklin, Coleman, etc) over the next week or so. 

Both of the confirmed guys are solid route runners. Brendan Rice has some size over Corley though. (6'3" to 5'11")

Take it for what you will, but I was reading something a week or so ago that said Keon Coleman has performed and measured very similar to Puka Nacua last year.

Perhaps this is true or not, but he just seems too similar to Dewayne Jarrett and Devin Funchess for me...

18 hours ago, Bear Hands said:

From what I gather, they could be targeting an IDL like Byron Murphy or Newton, otherwise, Quinyon Mitchell would be a good fit at CB.  I also imagine Brian Thomas could be available around their pick.  Lots of possibilities for them. 

Overall, the OL and DL in this draft will be more coveted than let on and I think there may only be 5 WRs gone by 33.  

TE: Sanders

EDGE: Chop, Kneeland, Ellis 

CB: McKinstry, DeJean, Tampa, Wiggins

IDL: JP-J, Suamataia

The top-3 LBs and maybe Trey Benson long shots at 39.  

i've been trying to mock us at least one IDL/DT and 2 OL in addition to an OC. There's some pretty decent talent at both. those are just two areas we need to be hitting every year.  

14 minutes ago, ProcessBlue2 said:

Take it for what you will, but I was reading something a week or so ago that said Keon Coleman has performed and measured very similar to Puka Nacua last year.

Perhaps this is true or not, but he just seems too similar to Dewayne Jarrett and Devin Funchess for me...

i'm torn on him. i want to feel good about him, but the drop that has happened for him seems justified. there's a good others that i want before him just because i feel better about what they bring.

18 minutes ago, ProcessBlue2 said:

I think you will be able to tell through their Top 30 visits. Right now it is just Brendan Rice and Malachi Corley. I imagine this gets longer (Legette, Franklin, Coleman, etc) over the next week or so. 

Both of the confirmed guys are solid route runners. Brendan Rice has some size over Corley though. (6'3" to 5'11")

rice seems more raw than he should considering who his dad is. just have some high expectations for him that i don't see him reaching. might be unfair for him, but he just doesn't seem as good as you'd want him to be. i wouldn't have him on the second tier.

corley...i really loved the idea of him, but he's someone that he's a killer once you get the ball in his hands, but he's just not consistent enough at getting the ball in his hands and i feel like you'd have to have scheme him into opportunities more than you would a lot of the other options. 

18 hours ago, Bear Hands said:

i'm starting to get this feeling that there will be a second WR run starting in the early 20s. First 4 won't make it past 10 or 12. The balance that i've been seeing in mocks i don't think will be the draft days reality. 

3 hours ago, rayzor said:

i'm starting to get this feeling that there will be a second WR run starting in the early 20s. First 4 won't make it past 10 or 12. The balance that i've been seeing in mocks i don't think will be the draft days reality. 

I’m kind of on the other end of it—

Running through mock scenarios and in trying to place myself in these teams shoes, I think Thomas could last until the 20s. And once in the mid-20s, I’m still unsure if the value of the specific WRs available matches the rest of the lot at IOL (Sua, Barton, Morgan, etc), the DB class becomes more in front with Kool-Aid, Arnold, Wiggins, DeJean, etc. and there’s more front-7 prospects like the Robinsons and maybe Sweat.

Depends on how teams value these kids and have their boards sorted, but they tend to lean more heavy on the lines early. 

• Pie 1

Just now, Bear Hands said:

But if you think there’s a run on WR, then we could very well have Darius Robinson, Chop Robinson or Kool-Aid there for us at 33. That changes things for me.

every once in a while i see kool-aid or chop there for us. i see darius on the regular. 

it would be hard to pass up on one of them. i keep wanting to have the second WR we draft as one of the first 3 picks, but there's some really good options available for a little while after that. 

• Pie 1

17 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

I’m kind of on the other end of it—

Running through mock scenarios and in trying to place myself in these teams shoes, I think Thomas could last until the 20s. And once in the mid-20s, I’m still unsure if the value of the specific WRs available matches the rest of the lot at IOL (Sua, Barton, Morgan, etc), the DB class becomes more in front with Kool-Aid, Arnold, Wiggins, DeJean, etc. and there’s more front-7 prospects like the Robinsons and maybe Sweat.

Depends on how teams value these kids and have their boards sorted, but they tend to lean more heavy on the lines early. 

i see it like the stock market with undisciplined investors. a player they like gets drafted earlier than they think so they race after the next one on their list and before you know it they start dropping like flies because everyone decides now is the time to jump. then some ones that should have gone earlier slips. but if you really have your eyes set on some players at that position, you kind of have to jump because you really don't want to miss out on the opportunity. 

it's really unpredictable, largely because you have no idea how teams have these players ranked and the importance certain players/positions are to various teams. i think most draftniks feed off each other. a few will have someone in teams telling them stuff, but you can never really count on the intel they are getting because there may be some ulterior motive behind it. 

aaaagghh i can't wait for the draft.

• Beer 1
  • The D 1

9 minutes ago, rayzor said:

i see it like the stock market with undisciplined investors. a player they like gets drafted earlier than they think so they race after the next one on their list and before you know it they start dropping like flies because everyone decides now is the time to jump. then some ones that should have gone earlier slips. but if you really have your eyes set on some players at that position, you kind of have to jump because you really don't want to miss out on the opportunity. 

it's really unpredictable, largely because you have no idea how teams have these players ranked and the importance certain players/positions are to various teams. i think most draftniks feed off each other. a few will have someone in teams telling them stuff, but you can never really count on the intel they are getting because there may be some ulterior motive behind it. 

aaaagghh i can't wait for the draft.

Kinda like how we panicked and traded up to take DJ Johnson at 80, and then the Steelers took Nick Herbig with pick 132, the pick we traded to move up? lol. (7 hurries 2 forced fumbles and 3 sacks on 178 snaps)

• Pie 1