• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Roar Podcast with John Ellis is back

Just now, MHS831 said:

I disagree.  Has everything to do with shitty mechanics and nervous feet. No blocking, WRs running bad routes and not getting separation--when would mechanics of the QB become the problem?  Having said that, we both need to just wait and see.  Remember Rosen, that QB who was drafted early by the Cardinals, I think?  He was let go after 1 season.  I think they want to see what he can do

he had the same exact issues at bama

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

I disagree.  Has everything to do with shitty mechanics and nervous feet. No blocking, WRs running bad routes and not getting separation--when would mechanics of the QB become the problem?  Having said that, we both need to just wait and see.  Remember Rosen, that QB who was drafted early by the Cardinals, I think?  He was let go after 1 season.  I think they want to see what he can do

I tend to agree.  Constant pressure leads to loss of fundamentals.  Footwork gets sloppy, feet get nervous.  It happens to all QBs when they are trying to make something out of nothing.  Mahomes is the only one who can still pull it off pretty regularly with or without his fundamentals.   

• Pie 4

48 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

See The Golden Calf of Bristol, tim

What about the CB that played behind the Calf?  Were Cam's mechanics good?  but if we use your example, Florida developed a system for The Golden Calf of Bristol's talents and he won games and a Heisman.  Canales is claiming to do the same thing.

You want to blame a rookie QB's reaction to being forced into a system not designed for him, being given predictable plays, having pressure in his face from A gap, WRs and TEs covered, and always playing from behind.  So provide an example of a QB who had good mechanics and succeeded in those conditions--all of them. 

This is a good argument, by the way.   I appreciate the difference of opinion. 

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I tend to agree.  Constant pressure leads to loss of fundamentals.  Footwork gets sloppy, feet get nervous.  It happens to all QBs when they are trying to make something out of nothing.  Mahomes is the only one who can still pull it off pretty regularly with or without his fundamentals.   

He has some good arguments, but too often in life we address the symptoms of the problem as the problem.  If we address the problem correctly, the mechanics improve.  I would like to know what he is supposed to do with DTs and LBs in his face in 2.5 seconds when his WRs are not open.  Plant that back foot and throw a dart?

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

They felt he should have sat two weeks into last year, because his mechanics were so fuged. They thought it would take the offseason to fix them. Telling Tepper that poo about his expensive new shiny was tantamount to suicide. You don’t do that as your first option, or you don’t want to. You saw pieces of it if you looked - the casual, sauntering drop back is something everyone should remember. 

We were just talking about this in a little different context. Young is pretty majorly ‘different’ on a good day. 

Related to this, I am concerned not hearing anything about any remedial work being done on all that in the offseason. Did it go from bad enough to bench him and use the offseason to fix it, to no major concern? Guess so.

But people say no news is good news.... so I trust  it will all be better now that those bad linemen, slow receivers ands shitty coaches are gone. 

Edited by strato
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

I really wish that Heisman trophy could ease the sting of one of the worst rookie QB seasons ever.

Need the season to go ahead and get here. The circular discussions and coping mechanisms are a bore.

Kudos to Ellis though for continuing to do what he enjoys and getting paid for it.

Edited by frankw
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

I think the truth is that most young QB's struggle in tough situations like Bryce was in. Only the truly elite don't. Which, I think we can all probably agree Bryce is not going to ever be a super elite guy.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

24 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I think the truth is that most young QB's struggle in tough situations like Bryce was in. Only the truly elite don't. Which, I think we can all probably agree Bryce is not going to ever be a super elite guy.

The ones that can look good with a bad OL and weapons are truly rare. I’d love to have one. Cam made it work a few seasons but injuries and inconsistencies piled up. I think it can make some press too hard to create something out of nothing. 
Bryce was never going to be a flashy QB, but I think the hope is he will be able to create plays and make the right reads to become clutch like he was in college. Whether he can or will is yet to be seen. I’ve always thought his peak is a smaller Burrow. Just seems to know where to go with the ball each play and extends them with his legs to compensate for not having an elite arm. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

The ones that can look good with a bad OL and weapons are truly rare. I’d love to have one. Cam made it work a few seasons but injuries and inconsistencies piled up. I think it can make some press too hard to create something out of nothing. 
Bryce was never going to be a flashy QB, but I think the hope is he will be able to create plays and make the right reads to become clutch like he was in college. Whether he can or will is yet to be seen. I’ve always thought his peak is a smaller Burrow. Just seems to know where to go with the ball each play and extends them with his legs to compensate for not having an elite arm. 

I think his peak is an elite game manager. He just isn't ever going to be a guy that blows the doors off.

We will see. Hope I am incorrect.

• Pie 2

33 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I think his peak is an elite game manager. He just isn't ever going to be a guy that blows the doors off.

We will see. Hope I am incorrect.

It will be nice if he does, but if not we will just roll the dice again. 

• Beer 1

3 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

none of that explains youngs shitty mechanics and bouncing like tigger the tiger in the pocket.   It is kindof wild that he had such a bad year last year that a 3rd season isnt even being discussed, its like fix your poo immediately or we will move on.  Even fields got year 3.  You have to be zach wilson, mac jones bad to be discarded after 2 years

The fact that his horrible mechanics were not taking into consideration during the pre draft process is still one of the most dumfounded things to me. I stand by the narrative that the team was forced to pick Young under media pressure over doing their own thorough evaluations. Even Qbs this year are getting layers peeled back far more than Young was and they are better prospects for the NFL. The poo doesnt make any sense and the panthers had to be ass clowns to fall for it.

• Beer 2