• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I know it’s earlt but Dan THE MAN Morgan is IMPRESSING me

3 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

I said this on another thread, this seems like a Morgan and Canales draft unlike the last few years which seemed like Rhule and Tepper. Or last year which seemed like Tepper playing GM. 

I mean, this seemed like a 100% Fitterer draft.  It checks all the same signature boxes.  And it make sense because it’s basically his old team doing it. 

I mean some of the draft is just luck and the lotto.  So hopefully we get lucky for once.  But clearly Fitterer and Morgan share a lot….which makes sense.  Morgan and him were tight and Morgan was our assistant GM the last 3 freaking years with most of the same folks. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

15 minutes ago, CRA said:

I mean, this seemed like a 100% Fitterer draft.  It checks all the same signature boxes.  And it make sense because it’s basically his old team doing it. 

I mean some of the draft is just luck and the lotto.  So hopefully we get lucky for once.  But clearly Fitterer and Morgan share a lot….which makes sense.  Morgan and him were tight and Morgan was our assistant GM the last 3 freaking years with most of the same folks. 

It seems different because the draft room looks different. Tepper isn’t featured there, and maybe that’s by design because they heard all of the noise. 

regardless, we know who wanted Young and it wasn’t Fitterer or Reich. If we had taken Stroud, there really is no telling how things might be different today. 

I don’t dislike Fitterer like you all seem to. I think he was scapegoated, as was Reich. 

1 hour ago, Hoenheim said:

That's what I'm thinking. You could have easily gotten a good RB much later and same thing if you wanted a project LB.

I personally wouldn't have traded jack poo, and went BPA. My dream senario was JPJ and Payton Wilson. Even Ig they were afraid of Wilson's medical R3 was a really good spot for another proven LB like Trotter or Cedric Gray or an edge like Trice or Ellis.

Cedric Gray woulda been slam dunk pink at the top of R4 today if we picked a solid edge rusher like Trice or Ellis in R3

Agreed 

1 hour ago, Mike in Raleigh said:

They do seem to be all about lowering expectations for the season.  Which might be great for the coaching staff to be employed more than 3 months. However, its not very exciting as a fan. I wasn't expecting to go to the Superbowl but "hey guys, we're just gonna be bad again this year but wait until 2025" approach kinda sucks.

I guess it depends on what your expectations are to begin with. If your expectations are to win the division and make a deep playoff run and possibly make a run at the Super Bowl, then yes they are lowering expectations. 

What I see them doing is saying this year is all about building the foundation and developing a system and the younger players. And no that isn’t very exciting for fans.  It doesn’t instill false hope like we’ve had in the past that just one or two moves could make them a championship caliber team. 

With that being said, this team could have a really good season. Our division is very similar to the AFC South and that same mindset ended up getting the Texans into the playoffs last season. They wouldn’t have been there had they been in another division and they had no chance of actually making a run. But Texans fans finally had a season they weren’t ashamed of. 

So if you really need some hope for this season, that’s where you find it. 

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, CRA said:

You know what would be refreshing? Drafting players with proven talent.  I get so frustrated with the Panthers picking players for "potential " year after year. It hasn't really worked out. Yet, here we are....again.

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, mountainpantherfan2 said:

I guess it depends on what your expectations are to begin with. If your expectations are to win the division and make a deep playoff run and possibly make a run at the Super Bowl, then yes they are lowering expectations. 

What I see them doing is saying this year is all about building the foundation and developing a system and the younger players. And no that isn’t very exciting for fans.  It doesn’t instill false hope like we’ve had in the past that just one or two moves could make them a championship caliber team. 

With that being said, this team could have a really good season. Our division is very similar to the AFC South and that same mindset ended up getting the Texans into the playoffs last season. They wouldn’t have been there had they been in another division and they had no chance of actually making a run. But Texans fans finally had a season they weren’t ashamed of. 

So if you really need some hope for this season, that’s where you find it. 

I agree with you on that to a degree.  It's smart on their part to not broadcast themselves as "the dream team." However,  much of this seems to be the same team doing the same things they have always done with better marketing. I'm sorry to say I'm really disappointed in this draft so far. I could be wrong as I frequently am. It just feels like deja vu and we'll be here a year from now bitching about how crappy our draft strategy was.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, Mike in Raleigh said:

They do seem to be all about lowering expectations for the season.  Which might be great for the coaching staff to be employed more than 3 months. However, its not very exciting as a fan. I wasn't expecting to go to the Superbowl but "hey guys, we're just gonna be bad again this year but wait until 2025" approach kinda sucks.

They weren't going to be that competitive this year no matter who they drafted. It's acknowledging the reality of the situation and doing what can be done now to help going forward. Anything left unaddressed this season will be next offseason. This team was the worst team in the league for a reason.  It's going to take a while to fix it. It is what it is.

• Pie 3

Just now, Jon Snow said:

They weren't going to be that competitive this year no matter who they drafted. It's acknowledging the reality of the situation and doing what can be done now to help going forward. Anything left unaddressed this season will be next offseason. This team was the worst team in the league for a reason.  It's going to take a while to fix it. It is what it is.

Not arguing that point at all. I never expected them to go from worst to first. It feels like a marketing strategy more than anything seeing as how the opposite approach failed so spectacularly last time.

Just now, Mike in Raleigh said:

Not arguing that point at all. I never expected them to go from worst to first. It feels like a marketing strategy more than anything seeing as how the opposite approach failed so spectacularly last time.

Well I for one see a different approach in this draft. Will it have better results? Only time will tell.

• Pie 4

3 minutes ago, Mike in Raleigh said:

To me it seems they were focusing on getting their guy. Which to me indicates they already had the positions they selected already determined. Now why that was I cannot ascertain at this point in time. Sometimes it is based on availability in the talent pool at the position of need. Sometimes it's because they have blinders on for a certain player. Whatever the reason that pick has to contribute at some point to be worth the selection. I think the 1st 3 picks will contribute this season in some form. 2 may actually start by the end of the season. If that happens it will be a good draft. It's about all you can expect with not having a 1st round pick. If they somehow get a contributer today I would call it a decent draft until I see how it pans out at the end of the season. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

To me it seems they were focusing on getting their guy. Which to me indicates they already had the positions they selected already determined. Now why that was I cannot ascertain at this point in time. Sometimes it is based on availability in the talent pool at the position of need. Sometimes it's because they have blinders on for a certain player. Whatever the reason that pick has to contribute at some point to be worth the selection. I think the 1st 3 picks will contribute this season in some form. 2 may actually start by the end of the season. If that happens it will be a good draft. It's about all you can expect with not having a 1st round pick. If they somehow get a contributer today I would call it a decent draft until I see how it pans out at the end of the season. 

Yep.

18 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Well I for one see a different approach in this draft. Will it have better results? Only time will tell.

I mean kind of feels like the past drafts in a sense.  High upside but raw wr. Check.  High upside athletic but raw  linebacker check.  We will see the direction today but through 3 rds feels like deja vu

Edited by mrcompletely11
  • Pie 1

Just now, mrcompletely11 said:

I mean kind of feels like the past drafts in a sense.  High upside but raw wr. Check.  High upside athletic but raw  linebacker check.  We will the direction today but through 3 rds feels like deja vu

Not really. Teams are always looking at upside when they select a player. That's just art of the process. I think the issue is who you think can start right away and who will need more coaching before the can be a full time starter. Some are forced to start out of necessity.  Does that mean he is good enough to start on any team or just that the talent is so poor on his current team that he is just the best of a bad group? In our case it is most likely the later. In that situation what do you do? It's hard to judge who is better now but will not be when someone else gets up to speed. That is where the gambling kicks in.