• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sticking it to America's Team

MHS831

2 minutes ago, WUnderhill said:

I do wonder if we would have gone center had we stayed at 39. I feel like Morgan just got an offer he couldn’t refuse with that 2nd round pick being included.

Yea the offer was too good to pass up

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I was just going to put this on the thread created for our second round draft pick, but I thought this would make you feel better about the pick, especially if you despise everything Cowboy-related, including Jerry Jones. 

First, some background that I heard on TV but have not researched.  Jonathan Brooks' surgery was completed by Dallas Cowboys' doctor Dan Cooper.  Jones would have had a ton of inside information about the knee and he wanted Brooks BADLY.  Now, Jones mentions the interview--think about the character and class it takes to get an owner to say these things publicly:

"Having already addressed their offensive line by taking Oklahoma tackle Tyler Guyton in the first round of the 2024 NFL draft, Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones might have spoiled their next selection.

Speaking to reporters, Jones said Texas running back Jonathon Brooks is "high, high, high" on the Cowboys' draft board going into day two.

'In my 30 years I thought it was the best interview that I ever interviewed with a player," Jones added. "He's outstanding. And he's a great football player.'

Brooks to the Cowboys has been one of the most popular player-team pairings since before the draft even started."

If Dallas was the only competition, I do not know why we moved back up to 46 from 52 when Dallas picked at 56.  However, maybe Dallas was trading up as well.  They seemed to get a good deal (compared to what we got from the Rams)--and there are not many RBs in this draft who are elite, can protect the QB, and can catch the ball like Brooks.  So I am OK with the trade, I guess.

Here is what the NFL Network analysis of Day 2 said about Brooks:

"Had Brooks not suffered a torn ACL in November, he might have been a first-round pick. He's a shifty, speedy back who can hit the hole and go, and he should be Carolina's starter before long. I thought they might go center here, but Brooks makes sense for a team that lacked offensive juice." 

For the record, I did not want the Panthers to draft a RB back in 2017 (or so) when they took McCaffrey.  So there's that.

Or we got suckered...so there's that.

• Beer 1
  • Poo 2

He's an explosive RB that can really catch. That may be all the double dip that we're getting (though I doubt it). 

Yeah, Jerry shot himself in the foot. I guess that he forgot where he was for a moment. We pounced. 

• Pie 1

12 minutes ago, WUnderhill said:

I do wonder if we would have gone center had we stayed at 39. I feel like Morgan just got an offer he couldn’t refuse with that 2nd round pick being included.

I think CB is our biggest need right now, but passing on C in round 2 does make a statement--We are happy with what we have there.  If we needed a starter, we would have never passed of Frazier or Powers-Johnson.  However, Van Pran-Granger is sitting there now....

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, MHS831 said:

I think CB is our biggest need right now, but passing on C in round 2 does make a statement--We are happy with what we have there.  If we needed a starter, we would have never passed of Frazier or Powers-Johnson.  However, Van Pran-Granger is sitting there now....

I think we have Gilmore ready to go.

Van Pran would be my pick, he can sit a year behind Corbet and then start for 10 years.

3 minutes ago, TD alt said:

He's an explosive RB that can really catch. That may be all the double dip that we're getting (though I doubt it). 

Yeah, Jerry shot himself in the foot. I guess that he forgot where he was for a moment. We pounced. 

If you notice how the Cowboys war room is positioned in relation to the camera, it seems dysfunctional.  The Cowboys usually take the full 10 or 7 minutes, and when the camera shows them, they are just sitting there.  The seating arrangement is very narcissistic.   I think Jerry runs his mouth to get attention and air time and he always thinks he is the smartest person in the room.  I am approaching this as if the Cowboys and their team Dr, have given Brooks a clean bill of health and there was a time in the NFL when Brooks would have been a first rounder. 

If you consider what we could have done here--draft a backup C or LB or CB, maybe we will get more support for Bryce by taking a player who is certain to be on the field.  I get this pick.

Legette will be on the field, now Brooks--both weapons.  We are a TE away from having a full arsenal. 

• Pie 3

1 minute ago, Martin said:

Van Pran would be my pick, he can sit a year behind Corbet and then start for 10 years.

I remember reading about one of these centers that he would be tailor made for a zone blocking scheme, maybe Bortoloni? So I wonder if that kind of player has been a target all along in the mid rounds.

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

If you notice how the Cowboys war room is positioned in relation to the camera, it seems dysfunctional.  The Cowboys usually take the full 10 or 7 minutes, and when the camera shows them, they are just sitting there.  The seating arrangement is very narcissistic.   I think Jerry runs his mouth to get attention and air time and he always thinks he is the smartest person in the room.  I am approaching this as if the Cowboys and their team Dr, have given Brooks a clean bill of health and there was a time in the NFL when Brooks would have been a first rounder. 

If you consider what we could have done here--draft a backup C or LB or CB, maybe we will get more support for Bryce by taking a player who is certain to be on the field.  I get this pick.

Legette will be on the field, now Brooks--both weapons.  We are a TE away from having a full arsenal. 

North Carolina Reaction GIF by Carolina Panthers

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Martin said:

I do not know how to argue against your point.  Someone said Franklin who would replace Johnson if he wanted to leave for a big pay day--I see that too. 

Van Pran would be the patient, smart pick. 

And to keep Corbett here is going to take a big payday.  Next season Moton will be making $30m again and the two guards will be getting paid.  We really need to let Corbett walk and go with a rookie.  A fourth round contract for a starting Center?  Whaaaaat?  Ickey's deal is fairly cheap right now, but it is about to get expensive in 2026.  Of course, by then, we will have a rookie RT....Gotta think about the maff.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, TD alt said:

North Carolina Reaction GIF by Carolina Panthers

He has flashed.  I pull for him.  However, we could use 2 threats at TE.  I just don't see us going for a TE in this draft and with Canales--he just does not seem to use them (maybe because he has not had them).