• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Are Brooks and Legette Day 1 Starters?

I wouldn’t mind starting the season with Chuba and slowly increasing the snap count for Brooks week over week. Miles Sanders looked more like a practice squad player last year so I think Brooks has already beat him out. Legette will be a day 1 starter in the sense that there are routes in our playbook which will be his routes and nobody else’s. I don’t know what his snap count % will be, but he is the only receiver we have with his specific skill set.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, NAS said:

XL better start day 1  or he wasn't the right pick. 

I just don't believe that this is true. It all depends upon the philosophy of the coaching staff, as well as the aptitude of the player. I don't see any reason to rush X or JB.

47 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

Brooks himself confirmed he's already running and will be ready for training camp come July.  There's diff types of tears and a 6th month recovery for a clean tear linesn up.   

If that's the case, I think he's getting snaps immediately and that could be bulk/majority by midseason worst case.

I’m just going by the math and stats.  Football players and sports always talk optimistic.  It’s also the draft.  The average is the average.   Everyone is different.  

he doesn’t need to be a day 1 starter.  Heck even without the injury he probably doesn’t need to be that.   I see no need to rush him out and have him be a week 1 starter on our wonderful turf.    

• Pie 1

27 minutes ago, TD alt said:

I just don't believe that this is true. It all depends upon the philosophy of the coaching staff, as well as the aptitude of the player. I don't see any reason to rush X or JB.

Opening snaps week 1, 2 WR sets are going to be feature Johnson, Old Man Thielen, Ian Thomas and Chubba most likely.  3 WR looks are the great debate IMO, 

37 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

I don't expect XL to start.  He's not on the field for 12 personnel.

For 11, he'll get abundant snaps but he's not starting Z or Slot early downs.  

He'll still a lot of snaps but technically speaking, not starting.

Most rookies will not "start" in their 1st season. They almost always play in a rotation until the get their feet under them and learn all the play calls and responsibilities. It's a process. I know, I hate that term also but it's accurate in this case.

1 minute ago, CRA said:

Opening snaps week 1, 2 WR sets are going to be feature Johnson, Old Man Thielen, Ian Thomas and Chubba most likely.  3 WR looks are the great debate IMO, 

Oh, I agree. Where I may differ with some, is that I don't feel the need to rush him. But, we all know that he's going to get an appreciable amount of playing time whether he "starts" or not. 

4 minutes ago, TD alt said:

Oh, I agree. Where I may differ with some, is that I don't feel the need to rush him. But, we all know that he's going to get an appreciable amount of playing time whether he "starts" or not. 

Canales was 11 heavy much like Carolina last year so we should see an abundance of 3 WR looks. 

I would assume to start the year Johnson and Theilen are locked in most snaps.  Then he rotates everyone else through the same spot.   Mingo, XL, Moore, and whoever is else.   So limited looks for all. 

But that’s what I just want them to trade Thielen.  Think the pros outweigh the cons

• Pie 1

14 minutes ago, CRA said:

I’m just going by the math and stats.  Football players and sports always talk optimistic.  It’s also the draft.  The average is the average.   Everyone is different.  

he doesn’t need to be a day 1 starter.  Heck even without the injury he probably doesn’t need to be that.   I see no need to rush him out and have him be a week 1 starter on our wonderful turf.    

Ha fair - he's a guy I'm hyped about so that's where my optimism comes from.  Overall, he's a pass catcher, quick cutter, big play guy that could have a really nice rookie season for us.    

3 minutes ago, CRA said:

Canales was 11 heavy much like Carolina last year so we should see an abundance of 3 WR looks. 

I would assume to start the year Johnson and Theilen are locked in most snaps.  Then he rotates everyone else through the same spot.   Mingo, XL, Moore, and whoever is else.   So limited looks for all. 

But that’s what I just want them to trade Thielen.  Think the pros outweigh the cons

These rookies have a lot of learning to do before you can have them taking the majority of the snaps. They will be eased in as the season goes on. If they perform then the snaps will increase.

Edited by Jon Snow

1 minute ago, CRA said:

As good of a presence Thielen is for the locker room, his lack of speed in the slot hampers us.  It's also why I could see Malik Washington or Cowing as much as Brenden Rice or Javon Baker if we go WR today.

1 minute ago, CRA said:

Trading Thielen, huh? I could go for that. I'd trade him for a fourth (which turns into Malik Washington or Javon Baker) in a heartbeat.