• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What do you grade this draft?

Huddle Draft Grade  

129 members have voted

1. 1. What is your draft grade?

3 minutes ago, mountainpantherfan2 said:

I’ve seen three separate times already where the Panthers have been rated in the top 5 for this draft.  Specifically focusing on our first 5 picks.  

Granted I’ve not been actively looking for these rankings so there may be some out there that have the panthers not rated as highly.

As for me, I give the draft class a B but would give the total outcome an A with us picking up the 2nd for next year. Like many others I really thought we would address the center position early. That was the only negative. 

I'd like a true Center, but with Bryce still a question mark and a new HC/OC and new guards putting a rookie C in the middle of it all sounds like a nightmare. I still think they should grab a vet C in free agency because theres a handful of guys on the couch that should be servicable

• Pie 4

1 minute ago, 45catfan said:

Personally, the team hit most of the positions I wanted.  However, not players or, in several instances, the rounds the player was taken.  That's my biggest gripe.

Pretty much the same. I thought we passed on guys that will be much more productive in the NFL for more high ceiling/extremely low floor players. I just can't understand what we are doing given the roster issues we have. It feels like a Seattle draft for sure.

• Beer 2

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

Opnions are always valid because they are.....opinions. Right, wrong, indifferent....they are opinions.

This is a poll to see what the fanbase thought of this draft. That's what this is for. 

Your "opinion" seems to be very emtionally that you don't have an opinion. Strange hill to die on but I guess that's your opinion on the matter.

No hill or dieing here. If you must have a grade then it's D. They got too focused on "their guys" and didn't take whatever position fell to them. The only reason it's not an F is they managed to get a 2nd next year. There's a grade for you.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 3

Just now, Jon Snow said:

No hill or dieing here. If you must have a grade then it's D. They got too focused on "their guys" and didn't take whatever position fell to them. The only reason it's not an F is they managed to get a 2nd next year. There's a grade for you.

Yeah, I had it a C but I could easily be convinced of a D. Just seemed like another "we are smarter than everyone!" draft again. 

Typical Tepper Panthers. Trying to reinvent a wheel that was rolling along just fine.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

6 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I gave it a C because I really only maybe two of these guys making a second contract here(Brooks and Sanders). 

Seemed very similar to recent previous drafts to my eyes.

Same... a 'C'.   I think we panicked with Legette.  While the value was good for Brooks, RB was not the position we needed with that high of a pick.  The Wallace pick is a total head-scratcher to me.  I thought TE could have waited until round 5. The rest are flier picks, but I'm hopeful about the corner.

Edited by 45catfan
  • Beer 2

4 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I do agree that Morgan saying the first two days were BPA is complete BS. The only pick I genuinely like at the spot is Sanders and they probably should have taken him in the 3rd and just got lucky that he fell to day 3 and had all night to get their heads out of their asses and just take him instead of trading around the board more

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

4 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Same... a 'C'.   I think we panicked with Legette.  While the value was good for Brooks, RB was not the position we needed with that high of a pick.  The Wallace pick is a total head-scratcher to me.  I thought TE could have waited until round 5. The rest are flier picks, but I'm hopeful about the corner.

Strangely enough I think the Wallace pick was the right call.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

The "5th year option" thing was so fuging dumb. It's the equivalent of calling your HR prior to a pitch being thrown. Just arrogant and dumb. It's going to look REALLY bad if he doesn't pan out because then you are going to be declining that option after making such a dumb move.

I had no issue with the TE in the 4th. Once you get to the 4th I give a little more leeway to gamble and he fills a role that we haven't had in a very long time. TBD if he gets utilized but I liked that pick more than any other. 

I think Brooks will be fine but you don't take a fuging RB in the fuging 2nd round. That's MORONIC. You can get a starting RB in the 3rd-5th rounds. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

9 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

I do agree that Morgan saying the first two days were BPA is complete BS. The only pick I genuinely like at the spot is Sanders and they probably should have taken him in the 3rd and just got lucky that he fell to day 3 and had all night to get their heads out of their asses and just take him instead of trading around the board more

I wasn't in the war room and they didn't broadcast it so I could glean some insights there so I cannot say really.  But they already knew who they were taking before round 1 even started much less came to an end. How do you do that if you don't even know your guy will be there? I think there were phone calls made before the draft even started on day 1.

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Beer 2

3 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

The "5th year option" thing was so fuging dumb. It's the equivalent of calling your HR prior to a pitch being thrown. Just arrogant and dumb. It's going to look REALLY bad if he doesn't pan out because then you are going to be declining that option after making such a dumb move.

I had no issue with the TE in the 4th. Once you get to the 4th I give a little more leeway to gamble and he fills a role that we haven't had in a very long time. TBD if he gets utilized but I liked that pick more than any other. 

I think Brooks will be fine but you don't take a fuging RB in the fuging 2nd round. That's MORONIC. You can get a starting RB in the 3rd-5th rounds. 

The 5th year option wasn't even considered.  I don't care what Dan says. They traded up because they got wind someone was interested in Legette. Whether that interest was real or made up is unknown. 

• Pie 4

30 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

What is your personal grade of this draft?

Just looking at this moment in time, rather than holding off until we see something for it, I'd have to give it a B+/A-. We added a lot of players and a lot of potential. We may have reached a bit with our first pick, but the simple move to make it at the end of the first round gave us a shot to make it last a bit longer if he really blossoms here. That was a pretty smart move and had a lot to do with Morgan and Beane's relationship I think. 

Picking up an injured running back in the second sounds like a foolish move, but honestly, it's a solid gamble. We know what the floor would be on the pick, that he might never play at a professional level due to that injury. And honestly, that is the floor on any pick you make. The ceiling on the guy could potentially be immense. He was outstanding on a mighty fine team that was pass heavy and he doesn't have a lot of mileage. If that knee heals up completely (and we have a lot of experience with that in Carolina), he could be a massive steal and just what Bryce needs.

There are a lot of people harping on our LB pick, but man, I always take it with a grain of salt when folks decry a player's "football intelligence." It's one of those criticisms that is easy to lodge against a young guy, but really hard to quantify. It might be nothing. His reputation for being a hard hitter and instinctual tackler are more important I think. He's going to have a good mentor in Shaq in the LB room and there's an institutional strength in our LB corps that could give him quite a boost.

Our TE pick in the fourth may very well be the steal of the draft. I think we're going to see some serious production out of him. I'm hoping for something Olsen-like. He's definitely an upgrade to what we have now.

And from there, well, the tea leaves get a little harder to read. I think Morgan did well with the trading and he cast a wide net for positions. We're going to have to see how it all shakes out, but just based on the three days of picks and the work that went into them, it was a good performance, better than I expected.

• Pie 2

6 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

He just seems like another developmental guy drafted too high. Luxury type pick when we had a real need.

They are all developmental prospects. None of them are nfl ready. It's just that some take longer than others to get ready. 

• Pie 3