• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Off-season Thread

6 hours ago, Chief_Chokeaho said:

Ehh NYR had more scoring opportunities and Florida is healthy with an elite net minder. Only fault I have on Rod is his goalie decision. At some point, the players deserve some balme. 

Of course. That’s what I said. Bad goalie play and the style of defense. Florida played amazing.  Rods decision to stick with a struggling Freddie cost us. Plus, Florida may be more talented than us and they play a very heavy game. Something we don’t do well minus Svech.  Glad the rangers lost. 

It's crystal clear that goalie play is THE most important aspect of playoff hockey, Donnie Wads has been trying to put together a cup winner with retread goalies, lets hope Rod gives Kooch the majority of starts next year and if he struggles then Donnie better finally get a proven goalie at the deadline or it will be rinse and repeat again.

• Pie 1

6 hours ago, Chief_Chokeaho said:

Ehh NYR had more scoring opportunities

In the 3rd period, maybe. Otherwise they were held to 12 SOG thru the first 2 periods. Fact is, the Rags had 2 power plays gifted to them and they couldn't convert. Their best scoring opportunities didn't occur until the last 10 minutes of the game.

No 2 ways about it, the Rags were dominated last night. Florida won the 50/50 puck battles and board battles. The game wasn't that competitive until late in the 3rd. And it was on Rags home ice. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Panthers Fan 69 said:

Of course. That’s what I said. Bad goalie play and the style of defense. Florida played amazing.  Rods decision to stick with a struggling Freddie cost us. Plus, Florida may be more talented than us and they play a very heavy game. Something we don’t do well minus Svech.  Glad the rangers lost. 

Some of it is also for whatever reason the Rags are a god awful matchup for us, Florida also has a forecheck that's relentless like our own, I think the man d kills us vs the rags..... 

Need the devils to be the rags first round matchup next season loll.

• Pie 2

36 minutes ago, PantherChris said:

Some of it is also for whatever reason the Rags are a god awful matchup for us, Florida also has a forecheck that's relentless like our own, I think the man d kills us vs the rags..... 

Need the devils to be the rags first round matchup next season loll.

Their forecheck is relentless because they are so physical and heavy.  It’s just a perfect mashup for how they play. Florida before Paul Marice played just like us. Speed but with finesse.  Paul made them but into playing heavy. They went and got players that added to that style he wants and it works.  Plus they have the best goalie in the league.  That helps more than anything. The canes have got let Koochie be their guy he will never become the star that most think he will if rod keeps sticking with vets that flame out. 

1. Koochie or a Soros type player 

2. Switch to zone defense 

3. Get heavier. 

like I said, I love Rod. Best pro coach ever in the Carolinas sports buy he is holding us back with his philosophy and style.  He is the reason.  He can change all of that with decisions.  

• Pie 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Panthers Fan 69 said:

Their forecheck is relentless because they are so physical and heavy.  It’s just a perfect mashup for how they play. Florida before Paul Marice played just like us. Speed but with finesse.  Paul made them but into playing heavy. They went and got players that added to that style he wants and it works.  Plus they have the best goalie in the league.  That helps more than anything. The canes have got let Koochie be their guy he will never become the star that most think he will if rod keeps sticking with vets that flame out. 

1. Koochie or a Soros type player 

2. Switch to zone defense 

3. Get heavier. 

like I said, I love Rod. Best pro coach ever in the Carolinas sports buy he is holding us back with his philosophy and style.  He is the reason.  He can change all of that with decisions.  

I don't think the man defense should be done away with entirely, honestly the Rags and (Bruins when they had centers) and the lightning when they had depth are the only teams that broke our man defense.....

Rods not gonna get rid of the man D but it would be nice to see him change it up and play zone 1-3-1 maybe 20%-30% of the time agaist teams that are a bad matchup for man that way come playoffs the guys know how to do it....

It sucks because this season we were a much better matchup for the Panthers than the Rags..... our man D does work vs them (shut them out twice) last year we just didn't have anyone other than aho and necas who were anything close to a scoring threat. 

As far as a physical forecheck we rely on a speed forecheck and the only forward we really have that can play with the physicality the panthers do it's Svechnikov.... 

Looking at the way the roster was built almost all of our skill/scorers are smaller finesse players and although they are physical they just don't have the size to wear guys down physically.

Addon Edit* Rods system really doest play to the strengths of the majority of our scoring talent.... it's why I really don't want to see Necas go, because I feel like he's gonna be 100+ point game changer in the right offensive system....  people always are quick to rag on our guys relatively low point totals.... but I legit think Aho/Svech/Necas are all 100+ point guys in a different system.

If we resign Guentzel I think He Aho and Svech will all score 35+ goals next year and 100 points. I have a feeling Jarvis will be moved to 1C-B aka 2C. And hit about 70.

Edited by PantherChris
  • Pie 2

On 5/23/2024 at 1:58 PM, PantherChris said:

I don't think the man defense should be done away with entirely, honestly the Rags and (Bruins when they had centers) and the lightning when they had depth are the only teams that broke our man defense.....

Rods not gonna get rid of the man D but it would be nice to see him change it up and play zone 1-3-1 maybe 20%-30% of the time agaist teams that are a bad matchup for man that way come playoffs the guys know how to do it....

It sucks because this season we were a much better matchup for the Panthers than the Rags..... our man D does work vs them (shut them out twice) last year we just didn't have anyone other than aho and necas who were anything close to a scoring threat. 

As far as a physical forecheck we rely on a speed forecheck and the only forward we really have that can play with the physicality the panthers do it's Svechnikov.... 

Looking at the way the roster was built almost all of our skill/scorers are smaller finesse players and although they are physical they just don't have the size to wear guys down physically.

Addon Edit* Rods system really doest play to the strengths of the majority of our scoring talent.... it's why I really don't want to see Necas go, because I feel like he's gonna be 100+ point game changer in the right offensive system....  people always are quick to rag on our guys relatively low point totals.... but I legit think Aho/Svech/Necas are all 100+ point guys in a different system.

If we resign Guentzel I think He Aho and Svech will all score 35+ goals next year and 100 points. I have a feeling Jarvis will be moved to 1C-B aka 2C. And hit about 70.

You think we will have 3 100 point players and a 70 point player under rod?  That doesn’t even happen with scoring first teams. Ever.  

21 hours ago, Panthers Fan 69 said:

You think we will have 3 100 point players and a 70 point player under rod?  That doesn’t even happen with scoring first teams. Ever.  

Happened with the flames just a few years ago also happens just about every season for the oilers but I wouldn't count that as they have two of the top 5 best scorerers in the NHL

12 hours ago, Rocky Davis said:

Losing Necas would be worse than a majority of Canes fans think.  When he's on he controls the puck with speed and gains zone entry so well, he is still young.  He should be considered part of our core.

Let him play on a 1 year prove it deal playing center. If he crushes it. Pay him. That simple. 

14 hours ago, PantherChris said:

Happened with the flames just a few years ago also happens just about every season for the oilers but I wouldn't count that as they have two of the top 5 best scorerers in the NHL

I just can’t see that happening in rods system unless he changes his tune on some things. 

• Pie 1