• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Seattle was a run heavy team

Bryce is a lesser Wilson. In almost every physical aspect. Size, elusiveness, arm strength, all kind of take second to what Wilson had in those days. But Wilson and Seattle are the closest comp for me and I agree it’s jump ball time. Just roll that way. 

Bryce is slippery a little and I think he gets lost behind the big people and I have seen him get to the stick a couple of times. But he isn’t that fast and gets run down pretty often going lateral.

As far as the run game, it can make things so easy if it is really good. If Penny is healthy he’s pretty good. 

1 hour ago, Jon Snow said:

I'm all for whatever wins games. There's not one single approach to winning games. It varies from game to game. In the nfl you have to be able to run the ball and pass the ball whenever the situation dictates it. Our problem has been that we can do neither very well. Canales has his work cut out for him.

Pretty much this.

2 minutes ago, strato said:

Bryce is a lesser Wilson. In almost every physical aspect. Size, elusiveness, arm strength, all kind of take second to what Wilson had in those days. But Wilson and Seattle are the closest comp for me and I agree it’s jump ball time. Just roll that way. 

Bryce is slippery a little and I think he gets lost behind the big people and I have seen him get to the stick a couple of times. But he isn’t that fast and gets run down pretty often going lateral.

As far as the run game, it can make things so easy if it is really good. If Penny is healthy he’s pretty good. 

I wouldn't call Bryce lesser.  I'd call him different.  Lesser would work.  Wilson was a downfield gambler/bomb thrower. 

Canales only knows downfield chunk pass play QBs.  That's not Bryce Young and never will be.  Canales is building a Jake Delhomme offense. 

This is bad marriage #2. 

• Beer 2

59 minutes ago, rayzor said:

deep ball or not, run game opens up passing game. works better with deep ball, but still can work.

A stubborn run game doesn’t open up a dink and dunk over the middle pass attack. That’s where the field gets clogged because of the run though, right? 

it’s why all those heavy run teams pair with with the chunk play pass game. 

Just seems like wishful thinking.  Everyone was talking about Canales and Geno earlier as THE reason why he could save Bryce…but Geno was THE best deep ball passer in the league when he had his comeback. 

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Should have kept wilks then

Word was that Wilks was going to hire Frank as his OC. I doubt that combination would have changed how the reason ultimately played out. 

• Pie 2

image.gif.25ae0e059e2f655cc04d9f720c467147.gif

…PJ Walker paired with Canales and Leggette is a more dangerous O than Bryce Young paired with them. Bryce Young isn’t a fit.  And fit is all that matters in the NFL.  Matters more than talent.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, CRA said:

image.gif.25ae0e059e2f655cc04d9f720c467147.gif

…PJ Walker paired with Canales and Leggette is a more dangerous O than Bryce Young paired with them. Bryce Young isn’t a fit.  And fit is all that matters in the NFL.  Matters more than talent.

You very well could be right. Canales signed a 6 year contract. The question is if the early Bryce Young returns for 2024 start to look like 2023 how much freedom does Canales have to make changes with his team and how soon?

This is why some people myself included have maintained that our QB1 needs legitimate competition on the roster. Not Andy Dalton. And not some JAG UDFA.

Edited by frankw
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, frankw said:

You very well could be right. Canales signed a 6 year contract. The question is if the early Bryce Young returns for 2024 start to look like 2023 how much freedom does Canales have to make changes with his team and how soon?

This is why some people myself included have maintained that our QB1 needs legitimate competition on the roster. Not Andy Dalton. And not some JAG UDFA.

well, I don't think you can add legit comp.  Not last year or this year.  I mean, Bryce is going to lose that comp in offenses not geared to his skill set.  I think you just let him flame out.  

The Panthers drafted a unicorn and then didn't want to build a unique O for him.  So be it.  Move on after this year.