• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Does anyone actually think Bryce will actually be good?

13 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

Do you think all of our WRs should have the same skillset? 

We got Johnson who is supposed to be the shifty WR and probably has more upside than Renfrow. 

We also have Thielen who is basically an old Renfrow. 

Do we need more Renfrows on the roster? I dont really get the love for the dude, he has one season over 1k yards with 9 TDs and a bunch of meh seasons. Dude hasnt topped 400 yards in 2 seasons. 

clearly, I don't. 

Johnson and Renfrow have really nothing to do with each other.  Theilen and Renfrow don't really either. 

Yeah, an old Renfrow wouldn't need to see the field much. Heck, a young one is very dependent on the scheme/O.    Renfrow is 100% a niche role player in the NFL.  He is only going to fit and be of real use for a small handful of teams/QBs.  

You need the right role players around Bryce.  Take RB.  I beat the drum all last offseason that Hubbard/Sanders were a horrible duo last year to pair with him because they weren't natural pass catchers.  Two early down runners.  Bryce 100% needs a rec RB.  You don't need CMC or do nothing lol.  Lots of SOLID niche 3rd down types.  We opted to bring in one of the worst in the game in that role in Sanders lol. 

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

You run that offense and no defense has to worry about the deep ball. It has to be a complete offense with elements he is comfortable with. JT and XL are capable of catching deep passes. Throw in some play action deep shots to them to prevent the defense from stacking the box and making it very crowded for a bunch of shifty route runners. 

At this point they arent world beaters by any means, but I think they are good enough to at least evaluate Bryce and better than what he had last season. 

I still think the results are going to be largely the same, but I think any average type QB could have some kind of success with them. Better than worst team in the league anyway. 

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

At this point they arent world beaters by any means, but I think they are good enough to at least evaluate Bryce and better than what he had last season. 

I still think the results are going to be largely the same, but I think any average type QB could have some kind of success with them. Better than worst team in the league anyway. 

I agree. We should be able to more accurately evaluate our QB whatever that looks like. 

Just now, CRA said:

clearly, I don't. 

Johnson and Renfrow have really nothing to do with each other.  Theilen and Renfrow don't really either. 

Yeah, an old Renfrow wouldn't need to see the field much. Heck, a young one is very dependent on the scheme/O.    Renfrow is 100% a niche role player in the NFL.  He is only going to fit and be of real use for a small handful of teams/QBs.  

You need the right role players around Bryce.  Take RB.  I beat the drum all last offseason that Hubbard/Sanders were a horrible duo last year to pair with him because they weren't natural pass catchers.  Which Bryce 100% needs.  You don't need CMC or do nothing lol.  Lots of SOLID niche 3rd down types.  We opted to bring in one of the worst in the game in that role in Sanders lol. 

That was last offseason and because of his contract we are stuck with him and the only thing we could really do was a draft a guy and we drafted one that is supposedly pretty good although coming off an injury. 

As for Renfrow I dont see a spot for him on our roster unless we are ditching Thielen who had the best chemistry with Bryce last season which would be a dumbass move. 

Just now, travisura said:

The worst would be he gets hurt early in the season and we have to do all of this again next year.

And we dont have any real options on the roster because they are scared to give him any kind of competition. 

I definitely didnt mean that though. 

13 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

That was last offseason and because of his contract we are stuck with him and the only thing we could really do was a draft a guy and we drafted one that is supposedly pretty good although coming off an injury. 

As for Renfrow I dont see a spot for him on our roster unless we are ditching Thielen who had the best chemistry with Bryce last season which would be a dumbass move. 

I'm not actually lobbying for Renfrow.  He was just an example of how different WRs are and how different roles carry different weight pending the QB/O.  

Yes, in terms of Sanders we are stuck with him.  But the point then still remains going into this season.    

and I differ in how Thielen is viewed.  Slot WR is just too important for Bryce given how he plays.  Theilen while a good overall WR, is too limited in the quick pass game and offers none of the upside Bryce really needs.  He struggles to get open quick and has almost no YAC threat.  A glorified sure handed TE at this stage.   Which Bryce needs but at the actual TE spot.    But yeah, if you throw at him 120 times he is good enough to have yards on the stat sheet.  Theilen did that last year.  

Slot WR and rec RB in some offenses and for some QBs aren't that important of roles.  I just think they are huge roles for Bryce Young.   TE play too.  I think for Bryce Young the vertical threats are less important.   More important for others. 

I think the vertical threats matter in Canales O.  A lot.  So I'm still where I was last year.  The QB doesn't fit.  Which I am fine with. But it's hard not to talk about it given we just mortgaged the short term on Bryce. 

so I question the leadership/vision.  Which keeps coming back to Tepper.  I mean, let's see if parts that don't really work, work together.  And if they don't?  Seems like we should be trying to put parts that work together, together.  

• Pie 1

Just now, CRA said:

I'm not actually lobbying for Renfrow.  He was just an example of how different WRs are and how different roles carry different weight pending the QB/O. 

and I differ in how Thielen is viewed.  Slot WR is just too important for Bryce.  Theilen while a good overall WR, is too limited in the quick pass game and offers none of the upside Bryce really needs.  He struggles to get open quick and has almost no YAC threat.  A glorified sure handed TE at this stage.   Which Bryce needs but at the actual TE spot.    But yeah, if you throw at him 120 times he is good enough to have yards on the stat sheet.  Theilen did that last year.  

What you are saying about Theilen is true, however they opted to upgrade the other positions around Bryce instead of him because he was at least capable last season the other guys didnt even show that.

We still have Mingo as well who could play in the slot if he has developed any. 

1 minute ago, PootieNunu said:

What you are saying about Theilen is true, however they opted to upgrade the other positions around Bryce instead of him because he was at least capable last season the other guys didnt even show that.

We still have Mingo as well who could play in the slot if he has developed any. 

yes, but how much improvement do you really get from Bryce Young....improving the areas that aren't his go to areas? 

Hell, if I had it my way, I'd move Johnson into a lot of slot work.  Not full time but I'd have to get other blood in there. He would get the ball.  Think keeping him happy is key to keeping him productive.  He wants the ball.   And if happy, he can do all Theilen does but better....outside of his hands.  Theilen does have him beat there. 

1 minute ago, CRA said:

yes, but how much improvement do you really get from Bryce Young....improving the areas that aren't his go to areas? 

Hell, if I had it my way, I'd move Johnson into a lot of slot work.  Not full time but I'd have to get other blood in there. He would get the ball.  Think keeping him happy is key to keeping him productive.  He wants the ball.   And if happy, he can do all Theilen does but better....outside of his hands.  Theilen does have him beat there. 

At one point Johnson was told the passing offense will go through him. I’m sure they will move him around but he will typically be read 1 which makes sense. Also I believe his drop issue wasn’t an issue last year. 

• Beer 2

1 minute ago, CRA said:

Well since Canales has said that Johnson will be the first read on most plays im sure he will play in the slot some. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Nightmare scenario.   Depending on the injury they wouldn't have a choice but to draft a qb

I agree. Dalton might get us to 4-5 wins but we'd still probably be in good shape to go QB at the top of the draft again.