• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

For Bryce Young and Dave Canales, the emphasis is on details

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

The Village Steakhouse in Sparks. Next to the TA Truck stop. 

I refuse to ride amtrak ever again. 

Thanks for the tip. 

Re Amtrak, I felt the same but gave the Zephyr a try. After some absurd confusion (where like 2/3 of the passengers didn't make the trip) it was totally worth it if you're not worried about a schedule and have a sleeping room. The piece from Denver westward is awe-inspiring (if nature is your thing).

Edited by BrisbanePanther

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, BrisbanePanther said:

Thanks for the tip. 

Re Amtrak, I felt the same but gave the Zephyr a try. After some absurd confusion (where like 2/3 of the passengers didn't make the trip) it was totally worth it if you're not worried about a schedule and have a sleeping room. The piece from Denver westward is awe-inspiring (if nature is your thing).

I have actually rode from Kansas to Oakland California, then from Oakland to Houston.  

Yeah, if one doesn't care about anything but doing nothing with no expectations of when they're going to get anywhere. 

My experience won't let me board another Amtrak.  I have read plenty of people's accounts where they had amazing times. 

Edited by pantherclaw
  • Pie 1

6 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

I have actually rode from Kansas to Oakland California, then from Oakland to Houston.  

Yeah, if one doesn't care about anything but doing nothing with no expectations of when they're going to get anywhere. 

My experience won't let me board another Amtrak.  I have read plenty of people's accounts where they had amazing times. 

That's fair enough. The station in Oakland (Emeryville, actually, which is a bit "better" than Oakland) is a filthy waste of space that put a damper on the trip. Oh and the tents and tarps in Sacramento were a wake-up call as well, unfortunately.

• Beer 1

On 5/21/2024 at 12:17 PM, Jon Snow said:

I've heard all of that before. I still have a hard time with that theory.  I just can't see Tepper forcing a qb on Frank that he didn't want or believe in. It doesn't excuse Franks ineptitude in all this in any capacity. Both qbs were there and was the first 2 taken. 

You should because before the preseason fiasco and the start of the season fiasco, all the reports, including Frank’s responses, were that Fitterer and Reich were in lock step. Remember the press conference where Fitterer talked about both he and Frank saying who they wanted before and after the draft process and that they both picked Young and it was glorious?

People got hung up on Tepper saying the point guard analogy in April when Brown was interviewed by a Panthers reporter describing how a QB needs to be a point guard in huge detail. That was in February. I think Tepper was just parroting Brown to make himself look like he knew what he was doing. Mrs. Tepper hugging Bryce always overshadowed CJ saying how he called her Mama Tepp.

We fuged up as a team, probably more so because Fitterer always said he had Young as his #1 the year before, probably because we looked at all the QBs that year as well. Reich’s love for CJ started when he got on the hot seats for frankly doing a horrific job. He's been in the league a long time and has a lot of media friends and that was a face saving CYA which we know well with many years of Hurney. Still amazing to think how much better the team was under Rhule/Hurney before Fitterer got any control when Rhule was on the hot seat.

• Beer 1

Just to point out : Canales has said that he does this with every QB he has ever worked with. He starts them from the very basics again and works up. He has a plan he sticks to when working with QBs, he mentioned how he will be doing the same with with Dalton. 

It also sounds like that approach is kind of used for everything. He seems to start basic and small and has a plan to build upon that week over week. If anyone has time to listen to his OTA press conference after the first day he talks about his process in the scope of building out the offense. Interesting stuff. 

This self scout during last year's bye is interesting

“What has happened for me over the course of years in the NFL is, quarterbacks will kind of lie to you about what they are good at in camp,” Canales began. “Not with their mouth, but with their accuracy and their rhythm and timing of throwing in practice. It’s just different when you get into a game on Sunday, it is. And it is every year.

“And that’s where we had to take an honest look. We have all these accumulated reps on these concepts that just aren’t yielding much for us right now.

“For example, there are a couple of play-action passes that I don’t think we had completed very many in training camp but we are doing fantastic on in the games. And vice-versa.

“There are some things on third downs and the red zone we thought we could count on, but it looks like they just don’t fit us.”

Joe loves hearing this, in part, because it is another example of how Canales is always adjusting, which is very smart.

A couple of other nuggets from Canales.

* He is not disappointed in the run blocking.

* Canales said he needs to adjust better, quicker, with the run game during the games and not wait until halftime. He noted he needs to talk with run game coordinator Harold Goodwin more, earlier in games to make adjustments.

Said Canales, “I just need more reps.”

• Pie 4