• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

!!!UPDATED!!! Reasonable but still a Dream [No Trades]

ROUND 2, PICK 48

DT- Tyson Alualu

The Carolina Panthers biggest need this year is no doubt the defensive tackle position. As a matter of fact the Panthers six current defense tackles have combined for only 231 tackles, as where Tyson Alualu has accumulated 187 tackles in his four year career at California. Alualu would almost immediately start and he would improve the Panthers defensive line by leaps and bounds. Alualu is 6-3, 295 lb. defensive tackle from California. Alualu would most likely be battling for a starting spot with Ed Johnson, Nick Hayden, and Derek Landri, as where the other defensive tackle spot would either belong to Tank Tyler, Louis Leonard, or Corvey Irvin. In Alualu's career at California he has piled up 187 tackles, 15 sacks, 1 forced fumble, and 1 interception. Tyson Alualu would make a great addition to this Panther's team.

90413491.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921CC759DF4EBAC47D04180B0BEBAD276BB0F2A0D2344D237D8BCCFA26C05B6C31BE30A760B0D811297

ROUND 3, PICK 78

WR- Mardy Gilyard

Pesterd, bugged, and abused. I believe this is how the Carolina Panthers organization feels when they are confronted with the wide receiver situation, and I believe they are finally going to do something about it. Mardy Gilyard and Damian Williams both may be on the board when the Panthers first pick rolls around, however the Panthers will go a different way this time. The organization has seen to many USC wide outs try and fail repeatedly, from the likes of Keary Colbert, Dwayne Jarrett {until he proves us wrong}, and Keyshawn Johnson. So with the Carolina Panthers second pick in the 2010 NFL Draft they select Mardy Gilyard from Cincinnati. Gilyard is a very impressive, he stands at 6-1 and 180 lbs. He is just what the doctor ordered for the Panthers. In his career at Cincinnati he recorded 204 receptions for 3,003 yards and 25 touchdowns. Another characteristic of Gilyard that most overlook is his ability to return punts and kick-offs. Gilyard has tallied 252 punt return yards for 1 touchdown, and has also racked up 2,664 kick-off return yards for 4 touchdowns in his career. Just to give you an idea of his return ability, 2 of the 4 returns for touchdowns were from 99 yards and 100 yards. Gilyard would instantly make the Panthers wide receiver corp better. He woud be joining the likes of Steve Smith, Dwayne Jarrett, Kenneth Moore, and Wallace Wright which could possibly provide the Panthers with the passing attack they have been looking for, for quite some time.

CF09--OCT._24--P77__LOUISV-CIN.jpg

ROUND 4, PICK 112

SS- T.J. Ward

Chris Harris is one of the most underrated players in the NFL, yet every week he gets the job done. Well, T.J. Ward is a carbon copy of Chris Harris. Ward hits just as hard or harder than Harris and he learned to play from one of the best in Jarius Boyd. T.J. Ward from Oregon is 5-11, 201 lbs., and all heart. Ward has racked up 180 tackles, 6 forced fumbles, 3 interceptions, and 1 sack in his impressive career at Oregon. With the likes of Chris Gamble, Richard Marshall, Captain Munnerlyn, Sherrod Martin, Chris Harris, Charles Godfrey, and T.J. Ward roaming the Panthers secondary, I would say this would make them an instant force to be reckoned with.

tjward.jpg

ROUND 6, PICK 175

DE- George Selvie

You can choose to believe me or not, and most of you will choos not to but George Selvie is dropping extremely far due to his size. According to NFL Draft Scout, George Selvie is no projected to go between round 6 and round 7. This could really benefit the Panthers, because with the addition of Alualu and Selvie, I would say that they have all but made up for the loss of Peppers and Kemoeatu. Selvie is a 6-4, 245 lb. defensive end from USF and if he could bulk up then he could become a real force. In his career at USF he racked up 206 tackles, 27 sacks, and 6 forced fumbles. George Selvie would be a great asset to the Panthers.

t2.selvie.icon.jpg

ROUND 6, PICK 202

LB- Kavell Conner

The Panthers are in need of an outside linebacker to compete with James Anderson and Dan Conner for that final linebacker spot and Kavell Conner may be just the guy. Conner is a 6-1, 230 lb. product out of Clemson. He had a very impressive career and piled up some outstanding numbers. In his career he recorded 262 tackles, 4 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, and 1 interception. Conner would instantly help out our linebacker corp and could even possibly start.

579872.jpg

ROUND 6, PICK 204

G- Brandon Carter

The Panthers are somewhat slim at guard with really three complete guards on the roster in

Bernadeau, Wharton, and Robinson, but Brandon Carter could change that. Carter would not instantly start but he would be a great back-up and would be a BIG asset to the team. Brandon Carter is a 6-7, 344 lb. product from Texas Tech and would definitley help out Matt Moore this year. It's just a bonus that he looks scary as HELL.

brandon-carter1.jpg

ROUND 7, PICK 223

WR- Freddie Barnes

Of course the Panthers are still slim at the wide receiver position, even if they added Gilyard. However, with the addition of Freddie Barnes the Panthers would be pretty much set. Barnes is a 6-0, 210 wide out from Bowling Green. He broke many records and has accumulated many stats. In his career at Bowling Green he racked up 298 receptions for 3,229 yards and 30 touchdowns. Barnes also returned kicks, threw passes and ran for touchdowns. Barnes accumulated 580 rushing yards for 11 touchdowns and also threw for 248 yards and 3 touchdowns. Barnes is a complete player and would be an awesome addition to the Panthers.

xsmall_Barnes,%20Freddie-a.jpg

ROUND 7, PICK 249

QB- Max Hall

Max Hall has fallen due to his size and inconsistency. However, I still think he is one of the most underrated quarterbacks in this years draft. He has tremendous ability and the stats to prove it. He is a 6-1, 201 lb. product form B.Y.U. Hall also has the ability to throw on the move and even take off and run with it. In his career at B.Y.U. he has piled up 11,365 passing yards for 94 touchdowns and has an average passer rating of 151.57. Max Hall has also rushed for 199 yards and 7 touchdowns. Hall would be a great addition to the Panthers and would be apart of a very good group of young quarterbacks in Hunter Cantwell and Matt Moore.

MaxHall.jpg

What do you think???

I really like thus mock except for the fact that I personaly like Taylor price much more than gilyard. I think he comes down to speed, hands, and route running that did it for me. Price isn't perfect but I think he is the more NFL ready receiver...then again gilyard isn't a bad pick especially in the third. I wouldn't touch either until the third round. Love alualu and I like the idea of grabbing TJ ward.

I don't see us drafting a DT EVER in this draft. Maybe if a BPA falls to the 4th or 5th but that is it. We drafted Irving last year and we picked up Tyler and Louis Leonard through trades and FA. I just don't see them drafting a DT with a high pick when we have essentially already spent 2 picks in the last year on DTs. This is how I think the draft goes (not necessarily how I want it to go).

2. WR Golden Tate (or best available WR)

- If there isn't a WR there that they think is worth the pick then they are going to go DE. The talented DEs are going to drop IMO because other than JPP, they aren't physical freaks.

2A. DE Carlos Dunlap or Everson Griffin

3. WR Brandon LaFell (If we take a DE)

3A. LB Navarro Bowman (Diggs is gone and we need competition at the LB spot. As we all know this crew LOVES PSU and MIA linebackers)

4. QB - If McCoy falls this far its a no brainer. If he doesn't then I think that Skelton and Snead are all real possibilities

5. Sergio Render or Brandon Carter

6. BPA (WR or OL)

7. BPA

To tell you the truth, with how our OTs have been getting injured lately I wouldn't be surprised if we took a guy that could play multiple positions in the 3rd round as insurance. We have a lot of holes to plug, but all I really want is a guy who can be a playmaker from the WR spot. I think the rest of our depth can be dealt with through FA if we don't get them in the draft.

I also think that Raheem Brock is a real option if he doesn't get picked up by another team. He could be the guy we bring in to add some depth to the DL.

I don't see us drafting a DT EVER in this draft. Maybe if a BPA falls to the 4th or 5th but that is it. We drafted Irving last year and we picked up Tyler and Louis Leonard through trades and FA. I just don't see them drafting a DT with a high pick when we have essentially already spent 2 picks in the last year on DTs. This is how I think the draft goes (not necessarily how I want it to go).

2. WR Golden Tate (or best available WR)

- If there isn't a WR there that they think is worth the pick then they are going to go DE. The talented DEs are going to drop IMO because other than JPP, they aren't physical freaks.

2A. DE Carlos Dunlap or Everson Griffin

3. WR Brandon LaFell (If we take a DE)

3A. LB Navarro Bowman (Diggs is gone and we need competition at the LB spot. As we all know this crew LOVES PSU and MIA linebackers)

4. QB - If McCoy falls this far its a no brainer. If he doesn't then I think that Skelton and Snead are all real possibilities

5. Sergio Render or Brandon Carter

6. BPA (WR or OL)

7. BPA

To tell you the truth, with how our OTs have been getting injured lately I wouldn't be surprised if we took a guy that could play multiple positions in the 3rd round as insurance. We have a lot of holes to plug, but all I really want is a guy who can be a playmaker from the WR spot. I think the rest of our depth can be dealt with through FA if we don't get them in the draft.

I also think that Raheem Brock is a real option if he doesn't get picked up by another team. He could be the guy we bring in to add some depth to the DL.

Apparently you didn't read my comments on Tyson Alualu and the rest of the Carolina Panthers defensive tackles. You talked about how fast the offensive linemen were dropping last year [injury wise], well we were hit by the injury bug harder at the defensive tackle position than any other position on the roster. Damione Lewis, Maake Kemoeatu, and Hollis Thomas are all gone, and they were the first three players the Panthers went to at the start of the season. Just to give you an idea of how desperate we are for a defensive tackle in terms of inside pressure. Tyson Alualu has recorded 15 sacks in four seasons at California. That is 9 more sacks than the Panthers entire defensive tackle unit has combined. The Panthers current defensive tackle's have recorded 6 sacks in 18 combined years of play. As where Tyson Alualu has recorded 15 sacks in 4 years of play. Do you still think we don't need help at the defensive tackle position? :confused:

I only see a draft like this happening if the Panthers can acquire Jason Campbell. If we don't get a quarterback before the draft I see our first pick wasted on Colt McCoy. If we are able to get Campbell then the Panthers can do whatever they want with the last 7th roundpick whether it means drafting a wide receiver, quarterback, fullback, or kicker.

tyson jackson went #3 last year as a 3-4 end. Alualu isnt that level, but he is on the level of ziggy hood, another 1st rounder. the bonus for any 3-4 team is that not only does he fit the 5 tech, he also has played it in college. i dont really think we have a shot at him. i wouldnt mind him at all, but with a lot of 3-4 teams out there and some just converting to the 3-4, i can see a very good experianced 5 tech a hot commodity. also he got a great deal of pressure and TFL out of that spot, which is a boon. his best production where in years where cal played a 3-4.

i am not a gilyard fan, as bump and run will completely shut him down. UF shut him down this way and the senior bowl takes that away from the dbs, so its not a fair gauge his senior bowl performance knowing his weakness couldnt be exposed due to the rules. is he good without contact at the line, sure. can he be a good returner, sure. same could be said of ryne robinson. in the 3rd i cant complain too much (i think price is a stronger bet for us with his size and speed, talks panthers have had with him, he is carter part II). he is a project. i like lafell but i cant see him realisticly dropping to us in the 3rd (same was said of connor so never really know for sure). slot might be his best role early, and if dj developes thats fine. could be breaston-esk or ryne robinson.

if damian williams is there in the 2nd like you said, we would be crazy to pass. best route runner out there, quick more than fast, good yac via shiftiness, and solid hands. not a full usc product as he was originally a razorback. also did i see keyshawn as a failure in your post? sure he wasnt great with us, but he didnt fail as pro like colbert or dj (so far). also steve smith of the giants would like a word on failed USC recievers. williams would be a solid addition as a #2 reciever for years, slot if someone like DJ does step it up. he would be a great fit in a win now mode, and a nice reliable target for moore. his speed is suspect and he doesnt have the potential of a gilyard or price but a solid day 1 contributor.

i want to trade down and target brandon ghee actually. i am not sold on marshal yet as a full time #2 cb. ghee is a special athlete that has stone hands. if he can break up a pass and keep his man from catching the ball, i dont care if he doesnt catch the ball, thats just a nice bonus. also ghee likes to mix it up in the run game too. would love for the WF guys to chime in on him. yeah a cb, but marshall's contract is 1 year, captin is a nice nickle guy.

my dream would be:

2nd- damian williams (or tate who i think is not happening, best of all would be price but not happening)

3rd- brandon ghee (javier arenas may slip to the 3rd, if niether then roberts or decker or ford even if wr is before it)

4th- torrell troup (NT anchor. earl mitchell is another corvey irvin project type that could fit if we dont get a DT early or want a real long term project with outstanding athletic ability)

6th-a-emmanuel sanders or antonio brown or stephen williams (want stephen bad)

6th-b-kavell conner or arthur moats (darryl sharpton is a guy i want but not gona be here and no 5th rounder)

6th-c-tim hiller or levi brown

7th- sergio render or bpa OL

Archived