• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dwayne Jarrett to be cut *rumor*

App Panther

Why is everyone against LaFell being the Number 2 WR? He has amazing upside ( nice size, decent speed, great blocker and before the previous season he was good at catching the ball.) and the panthers have a good WR coach when it comes to developing talent in Tolbert. I fully expect him to be the starter at the Flank position when the season starts.

this better not be true, cut kenny moore, not jarrett, how is it his fault he had jake as a qb? that is total bs and f**ked up towards him, he should at least have a chance with a good qb

I thought you hated Clausen?

Guest silver82blade

no way they cut him before the first round of cuts unless it has to do with some character issue off the field.

I highly doubt the validity of this rumor. If it's true, i'll come back and apologize if I remember or see the thread again but in all honesty there was a reason why he wasn't cut already and it's the fact that he's on the last year of his rookie contract and is making peanuts as a result. If I understand rookie contracts correctly, the Panthers have already paid Jarrett the lion's share of his money in the signing bonus and this year is the year when productive players start getting squirmy and wanting to renegotiate.

Also keep this in mind as THE most important factor regarding Dwayne Jarrett.

He was born September 11th, 1986.

Brandon LaFell was born November 4th, 1986.

David Gettis was born August 27, 1987.

We're evaluating Jarrett based on unreal expectations for a player coming into the league as young as Jarrett did. He made a mistake by not staying in school a bit longer and getting more mature, but for a kid with his frame and with age on his side, it's going to be VERY hard to walk away from that when he's not making hardly anything. There's a very good chance that guys like LaFell, in cash money, will make more than Jarrett this year.

It just simply isn't very smart financially to cut him right now. Give him the final year of his rookie contract. You never want to hand a rookie the job in camp without him having earned it by beating a veteran.

I highly doubt the validity of this rumor. If it's true, i'll come back and apologize if I remember or see the thread again but in all honesty there was a reason why he wasn't cut already and it's the fact that he's on the last year of his rookie contract and is making peanuts as a result. If I understand rookie contracts correctly, the Panthers have already paid Jarrett the lion's share of his money in the signing bonus and this year is the year when productive players start getting squirmy and wanting to renegotiate.

Also keep this in mind as THE most important factor regarding Dwayne Jarrett.

He was born September 11th, 1986.

Brandon LaFell was born November 4th, 1986.

David Gettis was born August 27, 1987.

We're evaluating Jarrett based on unreal expectations for a player coming into the league as young as Jarrett did. He made a mistake by not staying in school a bit longer and getting more mature, but for a kid with his frame and with age on his side, it's going to be VERY hard to walk away from that when he's not making hardly anything. There's a very good chance that guys like LaFell, in cash money, will make more than Jarrett this year.

It just simply isn't very smart financially to cut him right now. Give him the final year of his rookie contract. You never want to hand a rookie the job in camp without him having earned it by beating a veteran.

While I agree that Jarrett is still young and the potential is there the FO and Fox know if he is going to be the guy here.

Multiple reasons would play into them letting him go at this stage.

One would be because it would give him the chance to catch on somewhere else. If they KNOW that he is not ever going to be the guy then this would be the NICE thing to do. Not necessarily the right thing but it would be the nice thing.

The second reason to go ahead and let him go is his attitude. Now, I don't know what kind of attitude he has toward the FO. However if there is some bitterness there because he feels that it is Fox or the organiztions fault that he has not flourished then you do not want him to influence the new draft picks.

The third reason is if you have tried to trade him and no one would take the bait. If he knows you put him out there to get rid of him then that ties into 1 and 2.

All true, but barring anything behind the scenes that we haven't been privy to then it would shock me tremendously for Carolina to give up on Dwayne Jarrett the asset this early when our financial investment into his future is due to end. With the uncertainty surrounding the players we brought in, it would shock me if they're even considering the move right now. He's everything you want right now in a candidate for the open slot. He's as young as the players coming in to compete with him, his has a few years already in the system, and he brings a dimension in terms of pure length and catching ability that no other player on our roster can match. He's quite unlike any of the guys we drafted. In my estimation, we took a lot of guys that are raw talent with pure speed and questionable hands. Jarrett is a guy with marginal speed and ridiculously good hands but questionable route running savvy.

I think you only move Jarrett out at this point if you're so ridiculously high on your draft pick that you want to hand him the job right away to see how he responds to the challenge. However, on a John Fox team that is as unconventional as it is stupid.

I realize that the OP mentioned it may be after camp, which could be a safer hedge bet than the immediate release, but I still find it highly unlikely he goes anywhere with our relative inexperience on the roster after Smith at the position. Without him, you don't even have enough guys to run full sets in practice that know the system.

I agree that it would be the smart thing to wait until after TC.

However with the number of WR's they have drafted plus Wallace Wright, whom I think the FO is high on because of ST, the FO knows that there is not room.

IF they KNOW that Jarrett is not going to make the roster because of what they have seen/know of him, then I could see him being cut in the next few days/weeks. Jarrett has proven very little in his time here and contributes nothing on ST. I just would not be suprised to see him gone soon.

It would be the best thing for Jarrett too. Still time to catch on with someone else.

I think they already have, when they Took LaFell. He's a more physical receiver and shouldn't have problems getting off the line. Also a better run blocker. Much more upside imo as well.

I meant for this year. It means absolutely no sense for them to cut him before training camp because they can afford to wait without any sort of risk.

I think even if Jarrett pans out, LaFell and Edwards can still be useful picks. Smitty isn't getting any younger and Moose... Yeah enough said. Whoever starts at QB would need more quality WR's regardless.

Archived