• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sutton or Goodson?...

KillerKat

Who would stay?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Who would stay?

• Goodson
    • Sutton

Neither is really cut out to be a FB. I still think we'll bring Hoover back by training camp, at a lower contract cost.

Good thing neither of them is really a FB then. Sutton, like Nick Goings, is a hybrid HB/FB and there's no way Goodson could be a FB.

Right now Goodson is a lot of upside and potential, but Sutton actually has that valuable in-game experience as both a HB and a FB. I think we'll keep both, but if it came between the two then I'd pick Sutton because he's shown he can actually perform on Sundays.

Sutton- he went to college in my hometown

Hard nosed, consistent, great motor, willing to play some FB (Most RBs wouldn't), I agree with the Nick Goings comparison. Sutton may be a better pure RB than Nick though and could actually be a weapon at the position and I didn't forget Goings 4 consecutive 100yd games either.

I believe their intention is to use goodson as a receiver. Which is give better matchups play wise than sutton. Plus we have two other true fbs on the team.

Too many receivers is not a good thing for Goodson at all. He's going to have to survive the numbers game at WR,RB. Sutton doesn't help his situation any.

Sutton is great insurance just in case a FB gets hurt and the backup gets his bell rung.

The thing I like about Goodson is his speed and receiving ability. His potential is better than Sutton's but the thing that Sutton can provide is a little bit of everything when it comes to being a RB, he's got some power, some shiftyness, some speed, some agility. He reminds me of a poor man's Ryan Grant or Meweldee Moore a bit. The perfect back up RB. He's a great option to back up two great RB's. However I just think Goodson has too much big play ability to cut him just yet. A lot of rookie RB's have fumble issues, Goodson will figure it out.

Why is this question even being asked? In the John Fox era, we've had four backs on the roster on opening day once. A couple of times we've had six, most years we've had five.

2002 - Davis, Smith, Brown, Smart, Goings, Hoover

2003 - Davis, Foster, Smart, Goings, Hoover

2004 - Davis, Foster, Smart, Goings, Hoover, Casey Cramer (FB/TE) and a cast of 1,000s after we started getting injuries

2005 - Davis, Foster, Goings, Robinson, Smart, Hoover, Cramer

2006 - Foster, Williams, Goings, Shelton, Hoover

2007 - Foster, Williams, Goings, Haynes, Hoover

2008 - Williams, Stewart, Goings, Hoover

2009 - Williams, Stewart, Goodson, Fiametta, Hoover (Sutton came after Hoover was injured)

If either can play Special Teams, they're golden. And even if they don't, they're probably still safe.

Why is this question even being asked? In the John Fox era, we've had four backs on the roster on opening day once. A couple of times we've had six, most years we've had five.

2002 - Davis, Smith, Brown, Smart, Goings, Hoover

2003 - Davis, Foster, Smart, Goings, Hoover

2004 - Davis, Foster, Smart, Goings, Hoover, Casey Cramer (FB/TE) and a cast of 1,000s after we started getting injuries

2005 - Davis, Foster, Goings, Robinson, Smart, Hoover, Cramer

2006 - Foster, Williams, Goings, Shelton, Hoover

2007 - Foster, Williams, Goings, Haynes, Hoover

2008 - Williams, Stewart, Goings, Hoover

2009 - Williams, Stewart, Goodson, Fiametta, Hoover (Sutton came after Hoover was injured)

If either can play Special Teams, they're golden. And even if they don't, they're probably still safe.

Because all of the roles Sutton played last year have been filled. And if Goodson fixes his fumbles, he will be a better RB than Sutton. Which was all stated in the original post. Plus you just pointed out the last 4 years there were 4-5 backs on the roster.

Because all of the roles Sutton played last year have been filled. And if Goodson fixes his fumbles, he will be a better RB than Sutton. Which was all stated in the original post. Plus you just pointed out the last 4 years there were 4-5 backs on the roster.

I don't count as well as I used to, but it seems that in Williams, Stewart, Goodson, Sutton, and Fiametta we have five backs. What's more, Sutton can play both positions, much like Goings could. And Goodson played on Special Teams last year. So it's well in character for Fox to keep all five, and focus on other positions.

And I must not have been clear enough, Fox has kept four backs ONCE in his eight seasons here. In the last four years, he's kept five or more in every year save 2008, and in that season Rosario got work as a Fullback in practice.

So if you go by history at all, then the question only makes sense if the Panthers sign another back. And so far, they haven't.

Archived