• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Improving Clausen catching up with the tempo of the NFL game

scpanther22

I think so,” Clausen said. “It’s pretty much similar terms, but a few different reads and plays. But at the same token, it’s pretty much the same exact stuff.”

The big difference, he’s finding, is the protections vary a bit more at this level.

For instance, Clausen said a play at Notre Dame might look something like this: Guns trips right, 64 scan, Z-option, X comeback. In Carolina, the play is: Gun 2 jet, 54 scan, Z-option, X-comeback.

“It just changes the protection, but at the same time it’s still the same play,” Clausen said.

It’s those little details Clausen is working to perfect so that they become like second nature.

“I’m trying to pick it up as fast as I can just to be able to play faster while I’m out there,” he said.

Clausen believes that having a knowledge of the playbook has given him a leg up on other rookies in the NFL

http://www.carolinagrowl.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=494:improving-clausen-catching-up-with-the-tempo-of-the-nfl-game&catid=1:articles

I really look forward to pre-season. It will be nice having a QB who will check down instead of forcing the ball to Smitty in triple coverage.

hell yes. if smitty is double or triple covered, then there is someone open underneath. finding that guy will vault the panthers into the superbowl once again.

I really look forward to pre-season. It will be nice having a QB who will check down instead of forcing the ball to Smitty in triple coverage.

I think as Panthers fans we need to drop our expectations of Clausen abit.

He is only a rookie regardless if he came from a pro formation.

History will suggest that it is best to let a rookie QB have a year or so to learn and mature.There are a alot of first round qbs that never recovered from their first year beating.Let this be Moores job to loose and we will all be better off,Even Sanchez struggled with the best running game in the league.The NFL game is much faster than college.

I think as Panthers fans we need to drop our expectations of Clausen abit.

He is only a rookie regardless if he came from a pro formation.

History will suggest that it is best to let a rookie QB have a year or so to learn and mature.There are a alot of first round qbs that never recovered from their first year beating.Let this be Moores job to loose and we will all be better off,Even Sanchez struggled with the best running game in the league.The NFL game is much faster than college.

note that i said I look forward to preseason

I think he should have some time off as well. The only way a team can be successful with a rookie QB is if they have an elite defense and running game, we only qualify for one of those.

Hey, but what made games thrilling was when Smitty would catch the ball in triple coverage, break out and score the touchdown. Hate not to see that.

yeah, but at what cost? if you match every lucky TD thrown into triple coverage with an int thrown into triple coverage, you get jake delhomme.

smitty will get his touchdowns. by hitting the other guys with more accurate passing, defenses will be required to cover everyone meaning single coverage on smitty. if he can score sometimes against triple coverage, he should score 3x as much against single coverage! wouldn't a 5 td game by steve smith be more exciting than a 1 td game by smith and 3 int game by delhomme?

better quarterback play only makes steve smith more dangerous!

Archived