• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Chris Gamble

NJPanthers12

Tell me how you all really feel about Chris Gamble. Do you think he is a legit shut down corner? Are you confident that he can shut down the other team's number one receiver week in and week out? He really needs to step up this year and be the leader of that secondary, and help Beason and Brayton be the leader of this defense. He is our longest tenured defensive player and it is time for him to step up. No more dumb mistakes (vikings game a few years back), just want to know everyones opinion on him.

be breezy....

Meh hes a guy that will do his job week in and week out .. hes just another puzzle piece that it takes to build a secondary .. he does a good job of keeping the passes in the middle of the field .. where beason and T.Davis seize their opportunities as long as the other side of the secondary does their job we should never have anything negative to say about him

Shut down corner? No and there are only one or two of those guys in the league at a time.

I do think he's a very good corner who is hard to throw on and pretty stout against the run. He used to suck in run support but he's come a long way and playing a lot more physical in the last couple of season.

If Revis and Asi are A's- I'd put Gamble as a B or B-

I like him and I'm glad we locked him up long term.

LOL real funny dude, guy doesnt make that play the panthers make the playoffs and have back to back winning seasons that everyone claims John Fox (who is a great coach) never can accomplish. And if I am not mistaken we would have made the playoffs as well.

I think he'll get better and better. He has the talent to be a top CB but he's not a shut down guy. However i do feel comfortable putting him on any WR in the league. He does his job and hasn't been burned in quite a while. I really think this could be his year, he seems really eager to take on the best. We saw how he reacted to 09 playoff game. I'd say he's around #8 in the league.

I hope this is the year, but I just think him and Marshall will be exposed this year without Peppers. Meeks needs to be very creative with coming up with some packages to get to the QB, because it is going to be a struggle without Peppers and Davis. Too much time back there and Marshall and Gamble will be torn apart. Have high hopes for Norwood and Hardy to create some.

I feel that Gamble is above average and very consistent. Consistency is very hard to find in this league and he's shown that throughout most of his career. Im glad we locked him up long term. I think becuase he's not very vocal or animated that he is sometimes forgotten or underrated. I'm a gamble fan and was happy we drafted him and its turned out well for both sides. But, shut down corner is def an overstatement in his case...but those are very very hard to find.

I hope this is the year, but I just think him and Marshall will be exposed this year without Peppers. Meeks needs to be very creative with coming up with some packages to get to the QB, because it is going to be a struggle without Peppers and Davis. Too much time back there and Marshall and Gamble will be torn apart. Have high hopes for Norwood and Hardy to create some.

Peppers will be missed. But we have seen them play without Pep before in games he didn't show up for mentally or had a broken hand or whatever. Gamble can get the job done w/o a great pass rush. I don't think a Marshall/Godfrey combo can on the other side .....I think it will be a repeat of Lucas/Godfrey all over again. Pass rush was pretty weak end of that season

Not a great corner against the pass. He has actually developed as a good corner against the run. Still lets almost 70% of the passes through his way to be caught.

Here is his rating on profootballfocus.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=CB&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1

Here is his rating by the week:

http://www.profootballfocus.com/by_player.php?tab=by_player&season=2009&page=&surn=G&playerid=1749

One thing I don't like is that Gamble and our secondary as a whole seemed to lose their hands.

In 08 Gamble dropped two INTs that would have sealed the Bears game, thank god we stopped them on 4th and 1. That INT against the Broncos wasn't very impressive.

One reason I would guess is that teams don't thrown on him as much as when he was younger.

This season was really refreshing to see so many interceptions. 04 and 05 were great seasons. I really miss the turnovers.

Oh yeah and the Vikings game wasn't all Gamble's fault. Fox told him to do it, Gamble had some really poor judgment but the coaches told him to do it.

we all know the joke about corners having bad hands but Gamble has bad hands for a corner also. I have always thought Gamble plays the short stuff well and plays the run well.....ask Gamble to drop back and he has always gotten turned around a bit too often.

Archived