• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why do cigarette smokers...

Darth Biscuit

Because cops don't ticket them for littering.

If we were able to consistantly drive 10 mph over the speed limit, wouldn't you do so?

Indeed they do. A coworker was just talking about getting pulled for it a couple years ago.

I socially smoke and it drives me insane how people just toss butts.

Personally I don't understand why people smoke in their cars in the first place.

Driving is one of the main triggers for smokers. I'm in the process of quiting and getting in the car is one of the hardest urges to resist. I don't know why, it just is.

Personally I don't understand why people would only smoke socially. :P

I don't get what it is about cigarettes... most people (certainly not all) don't litter in general, but when it comes to cigarette butts, I guess they just don't think it matters. Those things never degrade, they just sit there.

I remember being told in high school that butts degrade pretty quickly. After a quick search it seems like there isn't a clear answer. Sites say anywhere from 10 months to 15 years. Regardless I think people just see cigarette butts as these tiny things that don't make much of a difference. And I would guess a majority of people who throw out butts don't care about littering in general.

I'm guilty of tossing a butt on the ground very rarely, but never in the car.

And as a side note - the problem isn't going to get better now that new cars don't come with ashtrays.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen someone throw a cigarette butt out in front of me on my way to work. I can't stand it. What should I do in this scenario? I feel like I need to take action and see that justice is served, but I don't want to be a snitch.

What's a vigilante to do?

Hand it to them and tell them they dropped it. :D

That reminds me of a trip me and some friends took right out of high school. Stopped at a light my buddy flicks his cigarette out and hits a car next to us that just pulled up at the perfect time. A big ol lady gets out of the car, picks up the still lit cigarette and puts it out on the hood of his car. :lol:

Fwiw, its not just Smokers that do that. They are just the most noticeable. Walk down a road and you will see beer and soda cans and bottles, fast food wrappers etc... on the side.

I blame the beer cans on Open container laws. Most people would just throw them in the car if not for this. I never understood how a Beer bottle can cost you just as much as having a ounce of pot. Still those bottles dont start fires like people throwing out lit cigarettes. Most forest fires start that way.

I blame the beer cans on Open container laws. Most people would just throw them in the car if not for this. I never understood how a Beer bottle can cost you just as much as having a ounce of pot. Still those bottles dont start fires like people throwing out lit cigarettes. Most forest fires start that way.

I don't understand. You think people should be able to drink in cars?

Archived