• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Should Matt Moore feel pressured by Clausen?

Pox 08

What I'm asking is...

In the coming weeks if Clausen improves.. do you believe Moore will start feeling the pressure of his job being on the line and work that much harder to improve his game?

Or

Will Moore get stagnant and stale as he believes the starting job is his no matter what and not push himself to become a better qb?

I believe Moore has the tools to be a great qb this season if he pushes himself. I just worry that he'll get complacent with everyone telling him that he's the starter no matter what.

100% yes. If he screws up, say for a few games in a row, the media and fanbase will ask for Clausen to at least have a shot in one game. If Clausen does great, Matt sits. So yes, he has to go out there and do awesome or average each week to keep his spot. If he screws up, Jimmy at least gets a chance in a game. Major pressure on Matty.

100% yes. If he screws up, say for a few games in a row, the media and fanbase will ask for Clausen to at least have a shot in one game. If Clausen does great, Matt sits. So yes, he has to go out there and do awesome or average each week to keep his spot. If he screws up, Jimmy at least gets a chance in a game. Major pressure on Matty.

You're kidding, right? The media and fanbase asked for Moore to "at least have a shot in one game" for the better part of an entire season while Jake threw picks left and right and suffered through one miserable performance after another. Moore never got his opportunity until Jake got hurt. Why on Earth would anyone suggest that anything will be different?

Look around the NFL- just how often do you see a QB get benched for a bad outing or 2? The frequency of that occurrence is extremely rare in the NFL, regardless of the position.

Hell, Jordan Gross had a bad night, why don't we all start calling for his replacement?

um... Derek Anderson, Jake Delhomme, Tom Brady... correct me if I'm wrong, and I'll gladly admit that I'm wrong... but didn't those guys get a chance to start because the person in front of them sucked just after a few games?

But I don't think Moore will suck that bad, if he sucks at all. It's one preseason game, and he's just gotta knock all the rust off, click with the mates, and they'll be off and running.

I'm not sure Moore will have the same leeway that Delhomme did. Delhomme was a seven year starter, had taken us to a Super Bowl, and played pretty well the previous season up until the playoff debacle. The staff certainly stuck with him too long and that either shows that the staff had too much loyalty Delhomme, not much confidence in Moore, or perhaps both. I think it was a little bit of both. I think drafting not one, but two QBs in this year's draft somewhat supports this as well.

I believe Moore will have his chance, but I think given Fox's history of loyalty, he's going to be playing with a surprisingly short leash - especially if Clausen continues to play like he did last night. I mean, Rodney Peete got the hook after one half. That's how the Delhomme era began. I'm not sure Moore's leash will be THAT short, but two back to back poor outings could usher in the Clausen era.

I hope so. Competition drives improvement. If Clausen is worth his salt, he's competing his heart out to try to prove to that staff that he deserves a shot not in the future, but THIS season.

Well, for me it's not about Clausen starting or not, just the idea of Moore feeling the pressure of Clausen and pushes himself harder because of it.

I wish Delhomme had a little more competition over the years, someone that would've pushed him for fear of losing his job.

I agree with some of you.

I don't believe the Panthers have a lot of loyalty left in the tank if Moore happens to have a couple bad games in a row. They'll be too afraid of ruining yet another season due to their inability to bench their qb.

Hopefully Moore works around the clock improving himself so that he's not put in a situation where he plays poorly 2+ games in a row. Because there will be boo's, there will be a stadium almost filled to the brim with "WE WANT CLAUSEN" chanters if Moore screws up. Sadly.

Archived