• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Should Coach Fox be Given a new Contract?

Jangler

Should Coach Fox be Given a new Contract?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Should Coach Fox be Given a new Contract?

• Yes
    • No

Fox will easily find a job when he leaves (coordinator). He will not find a head coaching gig as easily as some think imo......unless he wants the Clev job. He will have to take a job for a team in worse shape than Carolina. No one is gonna view Fox (like NY) as a guy who will put a team over the top. He is the kind of guy to get you out of the gutter based on his approach to the game.

Richardson showed his hand during the off season by unloading all of Fox's veteran guys. He wants it to be a new era in Carolina and I think the only way Fox will keep his job here is if he has an INCREDIBLE season...like a NFC Championship, Super Bowl caliber season.

You are aware that AE is learning 2 completely new positions at the highest level of football? Give the kid a break, at this point he must learn an entire playbook, adapt to the speed of corners and safeties, play WR and PR. He was drafted as a project, with a lot of upside. No one in the Panthers FO or coaching staff figured he would break out IN THE FIRST 2 PRESEASON GAMES. Let the season play out before you pass judgement on a guy that could be very dangerous once his knowledge and experience at the WR position catches up with his physical abilities and talent.

This isn't an Armanti thread. I'm not attacking him. He's a good athlete.

This is a Fox thread. And having a player "drafted as a project" is a REALLY stupid move considering we had one of the worst Special Teams in the league last year, and almost no depth at Wide Receiver. We needed immediate reliably certain help, and Fox (and Hurney) didn't get it done.

This isn't an Armanti thread. I'm not attacking him. He's a good athlete.

This is a Fox thread. And having a player "drafted as a project" is a REALLY stupid move considering we had one of the worst Special Teams in the league last year, and almost no depth at Wide Receiver. We needed immediate reliably certain help, and Fox (and Hurney) didn't get it done.

I think that has yet to be seen. Coming to an absolute statement like that after two preseason games is beyond kneejerk. Everyone assumed our defense would be terrible, I mean awful, the worst in the league, everyone running for 300yds/game on us. But after two preseason games we look like studs. Odds are still about even that our defense will suck in the regular season compared to our offense sucking.

No. In the last 5 years I can't recall thinking that we out-coached a team to victory. I can recall saying that about other teams though. My problem with Fox is lack of gametime adjustments. If things aren't working as originally planned we are pretty much screwed.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

These 2 statements sum it up for me

I wanted Fox gone for awhile but now I think it would be a bad idea. Main reason being is there is no one better out there available. I think this will be a great year and we will notice Fox knows how to coach. He does his best when he has a group of unknowns and doesnt play favorites.

I think that has yet to be seen. Coming to an absolute statement like that after two preseason games is beyond kneejerk. Everyone assumed our defense would be terrible, I mean awful, the worst in the league, everyone running for 300yds/game on us. But after two preseason games we look like studs. Odds are still about even that our defense will suck in the regular season compared to our offense sucking.

I'm not talking about our performance on offense. I'm talking about our personnel at WR and Special Teams.

Do I expect to see better play in the regular season from the WRs we have and Special Teams players than what we've seen in the pre-season? Yeah. Absolutely. We're missing some key players.

But that doesn't mean we have depth at the WR position, nor does it mean we've shored up our Special Teams to be a play-off contending unit. The Front Office didn't get it done back in February-April/May and that's not knee-jerk, that's hind-sight. (As in, we made NO free agency acquisitions for quality players for these needs).

who is to say Fox even wants to stay after this year? Unlike Walter Jones, you can't Franchise Tag Fox if he puts up a great year to make him comeback, the writing is on the wall like the Steelers organization did with Cowher after the Super Bowl year where he did not get an extension, the 2010 season will be Teflon John's last with us whether we go 2-14 or 14-2, he can't win either way. I wish him well and he is a good coach who will do well for another team. I personally got fed up with his stubborn nature and think he cost this organization a legitimate opportunity for a Lombardi.

I'll admit that I was a Fox hater last season and thought he needed the boot. However lately I have been reconsidering. I'm not sure that there is anyone else out there that gives us a better chance to win. You can throw the popular names like Cowher and Gruden out there but are we just setting ourselves up for another Seifert era? God, I hope not.

Richardson showed his hand during the off season by unloading all of Fox's veteran guys. He wants it to be a new era in Carolina and I think the only way Fox will keep his job here is if he has an INCREDIBLE season...like a NFC Championship, Super Bowl caliber season.

nail, meet head.

No way Richardson goes on a spending spree (if and when new agreement is reached) if our Panthers have another hum drum season. Fox's only chance to stick here is selling playoff tickets. And if Fox isn't motivated to stay here what does that say about our chances?

Fox should have been included in the bloodletting. Keeping him on Panther blood life support just delays the inevitable. And it isn't just Fox, it's the entire coaching staff. All this,"i hope they keep meeks" or " i hope they keep davidson" is missing the point. The only way we keep either dc is to give them foxy's job and then give them a budget to get a top-notch coaching staff.

I wish someone would do a story on the ratio of coaching staff budget to playoff success.

But we will have foxy with us for another year, we will have a 9-7 or 7-9 season, he will get fired in January and we will have a fresh regime swimming in the uncertainty of labor unrest on top of trying to recruit a new staff and build a new playbook. I will never understand staying with Fox this season. You go all-in or you fold. In 2009 the panthers went all-in and lost. In 2010 we are checking with a low suited connector. I don't like it.

Archived