• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Oh golly, Cowher and Carolina reference on NFL.com

Brokenbad

Are you sure about that?

I'm pretty sure he made it very clear he wanted to return to the NFL and told all of his colleagues, Like Shannon Sharpe, that he wanted to coach the Carolina Panthers. Then Richardson decided to hold on to Fox but not extend him; the week after that Cowher announced he had changed his mind about coaching again in 2010 and declined all job offers.

I’m I remembering that wrong?

And where does this “Richardson doesn’t pay coaches” and “Richardson doesn’t hire top tier coaches” come from? I’m pretty sure we have hired both young new coaches and old retreads and paying good money to all of them!

When we pay Cowher the money it will take for him to be our coach, I will make a post saying I was wrong.When we hire a coordinator off another team you do the same.Cowher has turned down several jobs that would have made him the highest price coach in history.You truly think our cheap owner will pay a coach that kind of money?Dude he can't sell our stadium out anymore,and he won't get free agents to help our team be competitive.Jerry only sees the green in our pockets at this stage in his life,not our passion.

You people are just ignorant. Do you all really think it's about the money? Cowher has made millions in his years as a head coach... I don't think it was money that was the problem when all those other teams tried to lure him out of retirement. I honestly don't think he'd put up much of a fight if Richardson wanted him. But IMO, I don't think Richardson wants him or is interested in him coming here. And it's got nothing to do with money... but more about how he coaches. I think the next coach we hire will be huge on passing the ball, because in a league where the passing attack has become the new rushing attack... it sells more tickets than Fox-ball. And that's all Cowher will do, run the ball, run the ball, play defense. Why on Earth would Richardson want another decade of that mess? My money is on a current offensive coordinator in the NFL or Charlie Weiss. And Richardson won't shy away from big name coaches, for example, Ron Meeks... he isn't or wasn't exactly the bottom of the barrel kind of coach when JR hired him.

You people are just ignorant. Do you all really think it's about the money? Cowher has made millions in his years as a head coach... I don't think it was money that was the problem when all those other teams tried to lure him out of retirement. I honestly don't think he'd put up much of a fight if Richardson wanted him. But IMO, I don't think Richardson wants him or is interested in him coming here. And it's got nothing to do with money... but more about how he coaches. I think the next coach we hire will be huge on passing the ball, because in a league where the passing attack has become the new rushing attack... it sells more tickets than Fox-ball. And that's all Cowher will do, run the ball, run the ball, play defense. Why on Earth would Richardson want another decade of that mess? My money is on a current offensive coordinator in the NFL or Charlie Weiss. And Richardson won't shy away from big name coaches, for example, Ron Meeks... he isn't or wasn't exactly the bottom of the barrel kind of coach when JR hired him.

While I would be happy with Cowher I would LOVE to see an Offensive minded coach here. The problem is, if there is one true assesment of coaches Richardson likes and loves to hire, he has never hired a coach that wasn't a Defensive Coordinator.

I doubt that will change :(

A coach like Cowher is exactly the kind of coach Richardson will hire again

While I would be happy with Cowher I would LOVE to see an Offensive minded coach here. The problem is, if there is one true assesment of coaches Richardson likes and loves to hire, he has never hired a coach that wasn't a Defensive Coordinator.

I doubt that will change :(

A coach like Cowher is exactly the kind of coach Richardson will hire again

As I posted in another thread, Cowher posted an offense in the top 15 in 8 or 9 of his 15 years in the NFL so it wasn't like the offense was truly slacking under him. He always produced a nice power running game and his QBs put up yards. It was just his defenses tend to overshadow all of the offensive pluses.

As I posted in another thread, Cowher posted an offense in the top 15 in 8 or 9 of his 15 years in the NFL so it wasn't like the offense was truly slacking under him. He always produced a nice power running game and his QBs put up yards. It was just his defenses tend to overshadow all of the offensive pluses.

This is true. I think it's got a lot to do with the talent that he'd inherit as far as which team Cowher will want to go to. I honestly don't think it has anything to do with money. And don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Cowher here, I just think Richardson is looking for a switch up. When Fox came in, it was all about the running game and veteran players... but now Richardson's all about a youth movement, and I just don't see him bringing in Cowher. I can be 100% completely wrong, because I usually am. But I just see JR going a different route than a defensive minded veteran coach. I see a young and invigorating offensive minded coach landing here. The one person I had in mind was Dallas' offensive coordinator. I forget his name. He was supposed to get a head coaching job a couple years ago, but decided to decline. I see him being shown the door in Dallas if J. Jones cleans house.

Marty ball baby

• 3 weeks later...

I think the team will do what it takes to light a fire under this team and create some buzz among the fan base, and hiring Cowher will do just that. He's not a miracle worker, but he has a track record of success. He was quite young when he took the Steelers over, and was succeeding a true legend in Noll when he did so, even though that legend hadn't been to a Super Bowl in over a decade before he retired. He got them to the SB in what, his 3rd year there? I guarantee you this, a Cowher coached team will have some attitude, something that is sorely missing around here.

I wonder if Cowher not getting back into coaching had anything to do with his wife getting ill? I didn't know she was ill until I read her obituary. I've seen reports that she was indeed ill for some time, but the family hasn't released any info since her passing. But he does live here, and him and the 'Cats are a match made for each other. He's still a relatively young man, and he's had several years off to recharge his batteries and perhaps learn a few things from the perspective of the broadcast booth. For those who say 'retread' coaches don't have success, gee, I can offer up the names of Dungy, Chucky, Billichek, Coughlin and Vermeil as 'retreads' who have won SBs since 1999. Shula and Ewbank were retreads too who won the SB! It can be done. Let's find out.

I think we're the best fit. Jerry would let Cowher run the show b/c he's proven. We're in the home state and our team is ripe for a new coach to come in and take over. We have a solid defense that needs a few pieces, and of course combining our RB's with Cowher would be gold.:drool5:

The most important thing, though, is he would bring some much needed life to this franchise. Can you imagine that first reg season game at home with Cowher on the sideline!

Archived