• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The pass in the dirt

Mr. Scot

The best thing about Payton Manning, imo, is the fact that he doesn't care who you are or what you've done in the past. If you are out there on his field, you will stfu and listen to what he tells you to do. Hell, he'll even ignore the coaches from time to time when they call for 4th down FGs and run another play for a TD.

He can do all this because he can back it up with his play. He can do this because when the game is on the line, he's almost always a winner. I sure hope Clausen grows into that one day.. this might be his first steps in that direction.

He can do all this because he can back it up with his play. He can do this because when the game is on the line, he's almost always a winner. I sure hope Clausen grows into that one day.. this might be his first steps in that direction.

Manning earned it. Clausen thinks he's entitled.

I didn't see any of this at all and I think you might be reading too much into it. That was not the only pass that Jimmy threw short, and it's probably not the only time he looked frustrated (I didn't see anything out of the ordinary from him after that timeout anyway).

Whatever; I'm just going to sit back and watch everything develop and not put too much thought or heart into it, hence why I haven't been posting as much.

Manning earned it. Clausen thinks he's entitled.

And Manning didn't think he was entitled when he first went into the league? His father was in the NFL for a number of years, he went to Tennessee because it was such a high-level program at the time, and he was the number one draft pick in the NFL. You don't think the guy thought he was entitled? You're insane.

And Manning didn't think he was entitled when he first went into the league? His father was in the NFL for a number of years, he went to Tennessee because it was such a high-level program at the time, and he was the number one draft pick in the NFL. You don't think the guy thought he was entitled? You're insane.

Peyton has always performed. At every level. He wasn't given free reign to do the things he does now immediately. He had to earn it. And he went to Tennessee because it was a big program and he was good enough to play there.

Peyton has always performed. At every level. He wasn't given free reign to do the things he does now immediately. He had to earn it. And he went to Tennessee because it was a big program and he was good enough to play there.

He has earned it because he has been in the league for so long. Jimmy has been in the league for six months. Peyton hadn't "earned" anything by his fifth start in the NFL. When Jimmy has ten+ years under his belt, then we can compare him to Peyton.

Doing it now is just ignorant.

EDIT - And you think that Jimmy went to Notre Dame because it's a no name school? He was/is good enough to play there.

Steve Smith is a captain on the team. He is a leader chosen by the players. He has their respect and has proven himself over the years.

Clausen has proven nothing and hasn't shown he can score one point in the fourth quarter or crunch time. He hasn't shown he can get the ball to the one proven leader on the team who frankly is making 7 million a year or is one of the highest paid players.

Clausen needs the leaders on this team to acknowledge him and rally around him. It would be a huge mistake for him to give Smith the cold shoulder. Given he is not the entrenched leader of the team and could easily be replaced by Moore who does have a good relationship with Smith and who I suspect some of the players would rather have as quarterback based on history, he needs to mend fences not put up walls.

With all that said, lets hope it was just a throw in the dirt and not significant. After all he hurried alot of passes yesterday when he was under pressure.

He has earned it because he has been in the league for so long. Jimmy has been in the league for six months. Peyton hadn't "earned" anything by his fifth start in the NFL. When Jimmy has ten+ years under his belt, then we can compare him to Peyton.

Doing it now is just ignorant.

EDIT - And you think that Jimmy went to Notre Dame because it's a no name school? He was/is good enough to play there.

My point is, if I had a choice between Peyton when he was drafted and Jimmy when he was drafted, I'd take Peyton. Because he was/is the hardest working QB in all of football. He wants to know everything about the game, and how to be the best. That simple fact alone shows he knew he needed to earn it.

Jimmy was good at ND for a single season against very weak competition. His draft stock fell for a reason.

My point is, if I had a choice between Peyton when he was drafted and Jimmy when he was drafted, I'd take Peyton. Because he was/is the hardest working QB in all of football. He wants to know everything about the game, and how to be the best. That simple fact alone shows he knew he needed to earn it.

Jimmy was good at ND for a single season against very weak competition. His draft stock fell for a reason.

Oh, I definitely would've taken Peyton over Jimmy. He was the number one overall pick for a reason. But, we didn't have a number one pick overall. We had a 2nd round pick. Jimmy fell to us, and we grabbed him up. I would have too, given the situation we were put in.

But, I will say this, Jimmy's stock didn't fall because of what happened at ND. It was because his toe injury (which is still lingering) and his really arrogant attitude.

Archived