• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Just a hunch about Pep

unicar15

Pep saying that he wants to play in a 3-4 is peculiar to me. First of all 3-4 OLB are a dime a dozen and they don't get paid nearly as well as an elite 4-3 DE. A 3-4 is all about scheme and less about the "talent" of the player in the scheme. If you look at the Steelers for example, James Harrison was a freakin practice squad player and they plug him in for arguably the best 3-4 OLB in the league at the time when they let go of Joey Porter. Lamar Woodley is a stud and was a 2nd or 3rd round pick...You just don't have to pay for a guy like Pep in order to have success in that defense.

That said...I think that Pep was really just trying to come up with a reason to NOT play in John Fox's 4-3. I firmly believe that he will end up as a 4-3 DE with his next team and he will be paid as such. His comments about playing OLB in a 3-4 are just a way for him to let the coaches off the hook because he is a good guy and if he had said "I don't want to play for John Fox anymore but I will play for Jim Johnson" then that would look TERRIBLE in the FO and they would certainly have to question Fox.

The top teams that will bid on Pep will be:

1. The Redskins (wouldn't be surprised if they cut Jason Taylor and tried to go after Pep...its Snyder's style)

2. The Bears (They need a dominant Pass Rusher and in order to win their defense needs to be one of the best in the league...Pep would do it for them.)

3. The Packers (They COULD BE switching to a 3-4 but if they are interested in having "hybrid packages" there is no better player in the league than Pep for that IMO)

4. The Bills (They have Schobel on one side but could be looking to pair him with Pep). This is best case scenario if we do have to trade him for obvious reasons.

5. The Browns (They could end up being his #1 suitor if he really is serious about playing a 3-4). I'm pretty sure they have a ton of cap room and could easily sign him. It all depends on if he really wants to be a 3-4 OLB and if they want to pay a 3-4 OLB as much as he is going to want.

6. The Jets (Another 3-4 OLB team but they need defensive help and having him play every down and being able to use Gholston as a situational blitzer could put them over the top)

7. The Eagles (They have cap room and need pass rush but are not historically known for overpaying players to come in. McNabbs time is almost up so maybe they think that after the Arizona game they need a player of Peps caliber but I don't see them going out two years in a row and paying for the top defensive player in FA)

The bad news is that realistically most of the teams that are going to be interested in Pep are going to be NFC teams. I just don't see him going to play 3-4 OLB but I could be wrong. He's a freak and could do whatever he wants in this league but its a matter of supply and demand and there are a TON of athletes in college and in the NFL that could play OLB in the right scheme....why overpay for one??

There are not a ton of guys who can play OLB in a 3-4 however. Physically, he has the skills/size. I could see him as a hybrid in a 3-4 @ weakside OLB. I have said for a lot of years on here that Pep reminds me of JT athletically and that I thought JT would have been a good OLB-DE in a 3-4 and that is exactly what Saban did with him when he got to Miami. I do agree that with all the statements I have read from his camp that he just wants out of Carolina...period though.

There was a Q&A with Peppers agent, and he said that the 34 defense is preferred but not a necessity. I think the Bears will be the favorite to land Peppers, and they will have the cap space. The Browns will not have the cap space btw. They are in cap hell right now.

There are not a ton of guys who can play OLB in a 3-4 however. Physically, he has the skills/size. I could see him as a hybrid in a 3-4 @ weakside OLB. I have said for a lot of years on here that Pep reminds me of JT athletically and that I thought JT would have been a good OLB-DE in a 3-4 and that is exactly what Saban did with him when he got to Miami. I do agree that with all the statements I have read from his camp that he just wants out of Carolina...period though.

I see him as a JT type player as well but agree to disagree about the dime a dozen OLB. It just seems that teams like the Steelers, Pats, and Cowboys (under Parcells) can take any hybrid DE and turn him into a good OLB.

take Philly off that list...they are built on speed and have two of the fastest, most promising young DE's in the league in Trent Coele and Jaqua Paker......behind them are Victor Abiamiri, Darren Howard and Chris Clemons all who are very good. I don't see them seeing that position as a need at all.

Peppers gets on a team with a dominant defensive philosphy that leaves offenses guessing and and a agressive defensive coordinator, as oppose to a bend but don't break. He will be up defensive MVP next year.

On top of that I'm gonna feel sorry for Delhomme if he has to face Peppers next year without a red jersey, for as long as he holds on to the ball he's gonna get crushed.

I say he just wants a ring and doesn't think he will get one with Delhomme as the QB or Fox as the coach. Wouldn't surprise me if he ends up on a team like NE for less than what we offered him.

Who wouldnt want to play for NE? With the best coach in the NFL, hell id be willing to be a ball bitch for that team, just to around a team that understands the sacrifices of winning as a team.

Archived