• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Luck or AJ Green?

Ricky Spanish

I think we're ok at WR right now. Gettis and Lafell have played much better in the last few weeks, and Smitty is...well Smitty. We can find a nice WR in the late rounds. Most 1st round WRS don't do anyhting anyway.

We can pick up Jerry Rice in his prime and it won't matter unless we have a QB. Draft Luck.

But it won't matter because Jr is going to trade our 1st pick for a late 1st and a 2nd....so

/Thread

I take Luck, pick up a nice Vet backup QB, and keep Jimmy on to keep learning if he shows any sort of promise this year. Pike, not sold on... but then again, I admit that I haven't seen him either, so could be wrong on him.

One of the two should pan out for us, especially if we get rid of Mr. "I don't like to develop rookie QBs", and the Cleveland reject squad (aka Davidson and Rip) is a bad memory around here.

If we don't get Luck, I'll agree it's prolly smart to trade down a little and get an explosive force at the DT spot (Darius maybe?) to help stop the run and rush the passer. The guys we have atm can't manage to do that, and we need one badly.

Keep in mind folks, when the Chargers drafted Rivers in 2004, they still kept Brees around and kept him as the starting quarterback. You don't pass on quarterbacks like Luck.

Nothing against Clausen either; I think he has a lot of potential. Just my opinion that you cannot and should not pass on a quarterback like Luck.

If we pass on Luck because of Clausen then I'll be pissed. I know he's a rookie but you have to show some type of progress and IMO he hasn't. He has a 54 passer rating and has thrown 1 TD in 4 games compared to 4 picks. Bring in Luck and sign a damn FA at WR to shore up that deficit. You don't pass on a franchise QB from Stanford of all places to draft a WR. Its not like Luck is in a pass happy spread offense. He plays in a pro style offense, has a pro body as a junior in college, and plays for a pro coach. He looks like Philip Rivers, Eli Manning, and Ben Roethlisberger when they came out. He is a TRUE franchise QB.

Between those two.. I'd pick Luck. New coaching staff is gonna want better choices around them. Better to have Clausen and Luck and Pike to choose from than Clausen and Pike and Incumbent

I think we'll see our trade offers leading into the draft too. we might also get the top pick 2 years in a row with AMPLE cap room after seeing how next year works out.

I'd love to get a late first round Guard and a QB in the second though. We gotta face it.. after 1-15, we didn't really -rebuild- all that much, we just sort of built for a few years and it bit us.

A.J. had a hard time getting decent separation from Auburns corners. Even when he got the ball he was barely open. Auburns DB's are pretty awful btw. Not impressed at all. I saw nothing elite from him. Decent yes. Elite no. I haven't watched Luck play at all so I can't comment.

Luck.

This is a QB League. We need one. Unless Clausen impresses everyone the next 7 games I don't see why we shouldn't take him. Bring in a vet to help him grow, maybe start until Luck feels comfortable to start, but if we have a chance to get a QB of the future, we shouldn't pass it up.

If Luck stays another year, I'm torn between helping our offense with Green, slightly because LaFell and Gettis are growing, or buffing up our D more.

Also, where is Bradford's and McCoy's big name supporting cast?

Archived