• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why we should NOT draft Andrew Luck

Ohio

Ok folks, I have no idea how ESPN brainwashed 95% of you into believing that Andrew Luck is going to be the savior, but here is an intelligent argument against that belief.

1. We all ready drafted our so called "franchise QB". And all of those same experts who say "Luck is a franchise QB" are the same guys who told us Jimmy would be that guy. We shouldn't give up on Jimmy after 1 freaking year people.

2. QB's with under 25 starts do not do well in the NFL.

- Akili Smith

- JP Losman

- Jamarcus Russell

- Joey Harrington- 28 starts

Luck hasn't even completed his 2nd year, and you guys want to give him a huge contract and think he can lead our offense, with our atrocious offensive line?

3. Pac 10 QB's are not good in the NFL

With the exception of Aaron Rogers, everyone else is bad. Carson Palmer is awful now, Cade McNown, Akili Smith, Matt Leinart, Ryan Leaf have have ruined franchises. 0 playoff wins COMBINED with all of these guys, think about that.

4. We need more help then QB. We need playmakers on the outside. If we add a talent like AJ Green to go along with David Gettis and Steve Smith, that gives us 3 very good targets for Jimmy, who has been getting better and showing progress this season. Adding AJ Green at WR or Nick Fairly at DT or Patrick Peterson at CB/KR/PR could make immediate impacts right away. Those positions are faster to develop and usually we need MAJOR help there.

The only way I can see us taking Luck is if we bring in a new coach, and he's dumb enough to make that mistake, because a new coach likes to have "his guy". And look how thats working out for Josh McDaniels, and the Chicago Bears.

Thoughts?

Ok folks, I have no idea how ESPN brainwashed 95% of you into believing that Andrew Luck is going to be the savior, but here is an intelligent argument against that belief.

1. We all ready drafted our so called "franchise QB". And all of those same experts who say "Luck is a franchise QB" are the same guys who told us Jimmy would be that guy. We shouldn't give up on Jimmy after 1 freaking year people.

- Akili Smith

- JP Losman

- Jamarcus Russell

Luck hasn't even completed his 2nd year, and you guys want to give him a huge contract and think he can lead our offense, with our atrocious offensive line?

With the exception of Aaron Rogers, everyone else is bad. Carson Palmer is awful now, Cade McNown, Akili Smith, Matt Leinart, Ryan Leaf have have ruined franchises. 0 playoff wins COMBINED with all of these guys, think about that.

4. We need more help then QB. We need playmakers on the outside. If we add a talent like AJ Green to go along with David Gettis and Steve Smith, that gives us 3 very good targets for Jimmy, who has been getting better and showing progress this season. Adding AJ Green at WR or Nick Fairly at DT or Patrick Peterson at CB/KR/PR could make immediate impacts right away. Those positions are faster to develop and usually we need MAJOR help there.

The only way I can see us taking Luck is if we bring in a new coach, and he's dumb enough to make that mistake, because a new coach likes to have "his guy". And look how thats working out for Josh McDaniels, and the Chicago Bears.

Thoughts?

Just curious have you seen clausen play? hes awful.

your a dumbass

/end thread

Just curious have you seen clausen play? hes awful.

your a dumbass

/end thread

Real intelligent, did mommy help you type that?

Clausen led us down the field to beat the Browns, Kasey missed the FG. I wont respond to ignorant people like you anymore, I refuse to argue with people whose IQ is below 70.

Real intelligent, did mommy help you type that?

Clausen led us down the field to beat the Browns, Kasey missed the FG. I wont respond to ignorant people like you anymore, I refuse to argue with people whose IQ is below 70.

One whole drive vs the browns none the less, has thrown one touchdown pass and that was on a blown coverage,he has small hands fumbles to much. even if clausen improved 100% he would still suck. as for us drafting luck i promise you if we pick #1 and luck comes out, he is our pick.

thats good mine is 146.

- Akili Smith

- JP Losman

- Jamarcus Russell

Thoughts?

1-If ESPN's experts were so good at player personnel...they would be working for an NFL team

2-Sam Bradford and Colt McCoy have under 25 starts

3-John Elway, Mark Sanchez, and Troy Aikman came from the PAC-10

4-We need a QB...Clausen is not a good QB

I don't watch ESPN; I do all my own research into draft prospects by watching what clips I can find. And Luck is the real deal. I'm not going to sit here and guarantee that he's going to be a superstar, but nobody who looks at him objectively can deny that his potential is off the charts.

He's smart, has the arm, is accurate, runs a pro-style offense at Stanford under a former NFL QB in Harbaugh, has a quick release, has prototypical size for an elite QB, and has all the intangibles you look for in a stud QB prospect, and is very mobile in the pocket to avoid pressure. And on top of all this he's damn impressive as a scrambler as well.

As a prospect he simply doesn't have any weaknesses. Now, that doesn't mean he's an automatic Pro Bowler, but he's hands-down the best player available in this draft and I strongly believe that not taking him would set this franchise back at least five years.

I mean, I'd just like to know what your alternative plan is here. It's not 1970 anymore; run-first teams simply don't win championships anymore. Passing wins championships and a QB like the one Luck has the potential to develop into would basically guarantee we'd be among the annual Super Bowl contenders for the better part of the next decade.

Jimmy Clausen might develop, sure, but even if he does his potential doesn't even begin to touch Luck's. It's like passing on a potential Peyton Manning because you have a potential Matt Schaub already on the roster.

Now, taking Luck would also require an investment in WR's & a serious effort to stabalize the OL. I see everyone talking about how awful our OL is; wasn't it just a year or so ago this was considered our biggest strength? Now they suddenly suck? Might that have something to do with the fact that our entire right side of the line consists of practice squad-caliber players who couldn't make most other team's 53-man roster?

Add a proven veteran WR or two, a solid veteran right guard, and a veteran right tackle to cover for Jeff Otah who is capable of starting if need be. That's not a massive investment in the OL.

I just don't get why anyone WOULDN'T want what Luck bring to the table. It's got nothing to do with Clausen, IMO. It's about Luck and how good a prospect he really is. For any team unless you have a Manning or Brady or Rivers, etc. under center Luck is an obvious pick, even if you have someone else you're satisfied with; Luck has as much potential as any QB I've seen coming into this league since Peyton Manning himself.

It's not a sure bet, no, but when is any draft pick ever sure?

2-Sam Bradford and Colt McCoy have under 25 starts

I think he means as a college starter.

To Ohio, Sanchez is a Pac-10 QB with less than 25 starts and 2 playoff wins in his rookie season.

I agree that Luck is getting a lot of hype around him, some maybe unjustified because he is so young. I just think he is the best option if we choose to take a QB.

Jimmy Clausen has no grasp on the game. He played on an overrated Notre Dame team who beat no one when he was there. He was "good" for 1 single year, a lot of that due to his receivers.

Clausen led us down the field to beat the Browns, Kasey missed the FG.

And sorry but this is just false. Clausen heaved up a horrendous pass to Goodson who turned it into like a 40 yard gain. Clausen did absolutely nothing but look like a highly functional retard on that play. The pass on the sideline to put us in field goal range wasn't a bad pass. But to say he "led us down the field" is just wrong.

Clausen isn't good, we don't owe him a ton of money, he isn't a "franchise" QB.

Palmer was one of the best QBs in the league until he had his knee ripped to shreds

Mark Sanchez looks to be doing pretty well (Less than 25 starts AND a Pac10 QB)

All of the QBs you mentioned above were mental midgets and/or complete morons. Luck's biggest strength seems to be his mind and his demeanor. That is something that you almost NEVER find in a QB coming right out of college.

Average sized hands, read a draft site. 0 fumbles in past 2 games. The TDs, yeah. If he can't get it in the end zone against Seattle he can't against anybody.

And poor sentence structure for a 146 IQ.

No your just showing your ignorance, the majority of people with high level iq are mathematical genius, and struggle with english as it isn't as logical as arithmetic.

Seriously are you bragging because he has not fumbled in two games?

Ok people Im meaning College STARTS, so whoever said Colt McCoy is dumb because he is the career leader in wins for a college QB with over 40.

And yes Sanchez is playing well and has 2 playoff wins. But I'll use 2 of the replies against that same argument. If Jimmy doesn't get credit for leading us down the field, then Sanchez should get 0 credit for winning those playoff games because he did nothing in them. Shonn Greene and that defense won those games.

And what good defense has Andrew Luck played against and done well that gives everyone the impression that he's got potential. As far as coaching, mechanics, and footwork yes, but Luck hasn't played a good defense so you have to question that.

I'd take Ryan Mallett over Luck, he's torched NFL talent every week in the SEC.

Glad to see at least some intelligent responses. Last year Jimmy was supposed to be everything Luck is now. And Jimmys on a bad team so everyone wants to give up on him after 1 year. I just think it takes more then 1 year to prove yourself.

Archived