• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coaches to never win a Super Bowl; Cowher's 1

raleigh-panther

not a micro-manager.

mi·cro·man·age

–verb (used with object), -aged, -ag·ing.

to manage or control with excessive attention to minor details.

So you don't want a coach that pays attention to detail. Do you realize that the smallest thing can differentiate between a Touchdown and a Turnover? A good coach who is a micro-manager knows how to create mismatches, which then gives their team the upper hand.

Not to be rude but that requirement sucks. We already have coaches who don't pay attention to details or make half-time adjustments, we don't need another lame duck coach. Get someone in here that wants to work hard!

mi·cro·man·age

So you don't want a coach that pays attention to detail. Do you realize that the smallest thing can differentiate between a Touchdown and a Turnover? A good coach who is a micro-manager knows how to create mismatches, which then gives their team the upper hand.

Not to be rude but that requirement sucks. We already have coaches who don't pay attention to details or make half-time adjustments, we don't need another lame duck coach. Get someone in here that wants to work hard!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micromanagement

Micromanagement almost always has a negative connotation, and for good reason. It isn't just paying attention to details, it's paying excessive attention to details that are the the responsibility of other people and doing other peoples' jobs for them instead of merely supervising. There is a difference between trying to be a perfectionist and micromanaging, after all.

Also, from Wikipedia:

Often, this excessive obsession with the most minute of details causes a direct management failure in the ability to focus on the major details.

Micromanagement =/= paying attention to details, but paying attention to little details so much that you lose sight of the bigger picture.

I admit, I'm one who has mentioned how long it took cowher to win the big game. I didn't say it as a reason not to have him. I said it cause it isn't very impressive.

I like cowher. He never sugar coas anything. My kinda people. He is a good coach. His teams are tough, and he does have a good winning percentage.

But he does have a history of not winning big playoff games. Say that it was cause of the good teams he faced. Well damn, norv turner is a great coach also. Great winning percentages, gets to the playoffs regularly.....but gets beat by good teams.

For those who say that all he needed was a good qb. Big ben was nothing but a game manager during that superbowl run, including the big game itself. The steelers won that game cause of great defense and a good running game. Damn, that sounds like john fox's way of playing football.

All this is a moot point, cause Jerry Richardson will not give Cowher the control cowher desires. Somebody else will. I don't think cowher will take the job without the control he desires...maybe I'm wrong...but I'm going to go by what cowher and his agent have said repeatedly.

Like cowher or not, it is what it is.

mi·cro·man·age

key words.....EXCESSIVE attention to MINOR details. halftime adjustments isn't a minor detail.

ftr, what we have had is a micromanager. plays all run through him has to be done exactly the way he sees it should. a macromanager, on the other hand, hires the best OC and DC and lets them do their job. head coach is the big picture guy. he lets his assistants work out the details and trusts them to get the job done. he tells his subordinates what he wants done...changes that need to be made...and lets them figure it out.

they do the same thing and expect the same thing with their players.

micromanager = control freak.

only thing that sucked was your understanding of a micromanager.

here's description of a micromanager from wiki thats just as good as any you would find in business management text book (and yes, i know some of it was already posted)....

In business management, micromanagement is a management style where a manager closely observes or controls the work of his or her subordinates or employees. Micromanagement generally has a negative connotation.[1][2]

Symptoms

Rather than giving general instructions on smaller tasks and then devoting his time to supervising larger concerns, the micromanager monitors and assesses every step of a business process and avoids delegation of decisions.[6] Micromanagers are usually irritated when a subordinate makes decisions without consulting them, even if the decisions are totally within the subordinate's level of authority.

Micromanagement also frequently involves requests for unnecessary and overly detailed reports ("reportomania"). A micromanager tends to require constant and detailed performance feedback and tends to be excessively focused on procedural trivia (often in detail greater than he can actually process) rather than on overall performance, quality and results. This focus on "low-level" trivia often delays decisions, clouds overall goals and objectives, restricts the flow of information between employees, and guides the various aspects of a project in different and often opposed directions. Many micromanagers accept such inefficiencies because those micromanagers consider the outcome of a project less important than their retention of control or of the appearance of control.

The most extreme cases of micromanagement constitute a management pathology closely related to, e.g., workplace bullying and narcissistic behavior. Micromanagement resembles addiction in that although most micromanagers are behaviorally dependent on control over others, both as a lifestyle and as a means of maintaining that lifestyle, many of them fail to recognize and acknowledge their dependence even when everyone around them observes it.[1] Some severe cases of micromanagement arise from other underlying mental-health conditions such as obsessive–compulsive personality disorder, although not all allegations of such conditions by subordinates and other "armchair psychologists" are accurate.

Although micromanagement is often easily recognized by employees, micromanagers rarely view themselves as such. In a form of denial similar to that found in addictive behavior, micromanagers will often rebut allegations of micromanagement by offering a competing characterization of their management style, e.g., as "structured" or "organized." Further, they tend to fancy themselves as "perfectionists".

Is there anywhere that the control Bill Cowher will demand to be a head coach in the NFL is documented or is the whole power thing completely speculative?

Nope, I just make poo up to annoy you.

(Rolls my eyes)

This is pretty common info.

I'm also not going to bother finding a link while I post on my phone, just cause you haven't paid enough attention to have known this info.

I'd like to be wrong on this...as I believe no single person should have that much control.

Is there anywhere that the control Bill Cowher will demand to be a head coach in the NFL is documented or is the whole power thing completely speculative?

there are conflicting reports out there over the years

the whole issue I have with Cowher is in divided into these parts:

1) He's already won a superbowl. In my mind, the most motivated prospective HC is one that has never gotten there.

2) The past few years it seems like he is in no hurry to come back to coach, owing to the whole motivation thing. It seems like he's more interested in going in the best possible environment he can think of rather than trying to re-establish himself, and if he was truly motivated, he probably wouldn't still be on the free agent coach list.

3) He hasn't operated as a coach in organized football for 4 years and counting, and the complexion of the league has changed a lot in that span.

Archived