• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

MMQB - Peter King on State of the Panthers

raleigh-panther

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/12/13/week-14-mmqb/4.html

Excerpt from Peter:

I think it looks so depressing to be a Panthers fan. The empty seats. The hopelessness. That's about as down as a franchise can be. I understand Jerry Richardson wanting to pay a new head coach a reasonable salary ($2.5-million, for example, per year), but that franchise might be so far under water that he may have to rethink that future plan and pay Bill Cowher what he's worth. I can't imagine 60 percent of his season-ticket-holders re-upping for what they'd consider more of the same. The Panthers need a facelift. Even though recent history says low-profile coaches (Mike Smith, John Harbaugh, Mike Tomlin) are good risks, Carolina needs a headliner more than Atlanta or Baltimore or Pittsburgh did when they made those hires.

peter king = not a clue

1) $2.5mil for a HC? except for this year, richardson pays.

2) season ticket holders will continue being season ticket holders. they do't really have much of a choice. won't keep the fans form staying home, but those seats will still be sold.

Apparently he does not understand our PSL model.

There is no re-upping....don't buy the tix and you will forfeit your PSL investment.

Like you, I understand the PSL model.

Yes I have to buy or forfeit; but, at some point, non-attenandance does hurt, all those other ways that Jerry and the city of Charlotte makes money.

Sad but true, in these economic teams, the Panther are a luxury, not a necessity, and certainly not a necessity for the crap that represents pro football every Sunday, but, alas, it is what it is, and what is left, is individual decisions based on what the owner of the franchise does, or does not do.

If JR thinks he is going to pay the next coach 2.5m and we will be contenders, then we will suck for a long time. You would think a business man like him would know this..."You gotta pay to play." And if you want to win you have to pay a lot. So I hope PK is just speculating and typing out his ass... Damn, I'll be glad when the waiting is over.

I agree with Peter King but I think that a guy like Jim Harbaugh at Stanford could be high profile enough AND a guy that isn't ridiculously expensive. Pay him 3 million a year and I think that he could turn us into a superbowl team just as fast as Cowher could at 7 million a year. However, you can't go out and hire another D or O Coordinator like he did with Fox. You have to get a guy in there that is a head coach first and foremost. Fox was always a coordinator with a HC job.

Apparently he does not understand our PSL model.

There is no re-upping....don't buy the tix and you will forfeit your PSL investment.

Which is what I will probably do. My club seats go up from $140/ea this year to $200/ea next year. Considering the PSL was $1500/ea about 17 years ago, that's not so bad a hit over that time.

edit: and now the Panthers are asking $7,500 / ea for that same PSL. Good luck with that ! Those seats will probably be empty, as is the one single right next to me that has been that way since the first year in the stadium.

Which is what I will probably do. My club seats go up from $140/ea this year to $200/ea next year. Considering the PSL was $1500/ea about 17 years ago, that's not so bad a hit over that time.

edit: and now the Panthers are asking $7,500 / ea for that same PSL. Good luck with that ! Those seats will probably be empty, as is the one single right next to me that has been that way since the first year in the stadium.

Seriously considering this too!

Archived