• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Haynesworth wants a big payday

Mr. Scot

Haynesworth demands top dollar

Albert Haynesworth said he loves Nashville and the Titans, but he scoffed at the notion of giving the team a hometown discount on the long-term contract he's seeking.

"Not unless they give me a 100 percent guaranteed contract,'' the veteran defensive tackle said with a smile Thursday as he visited the site of Super Bowl XLIII.

Although he declined to go into specifics, Haynesworth is seeking a six-year deal that would make him the highest paid defensive player in the NFL. Right now that designation belongs to Vikings defensive end Jared Allen, who signed a six-year contract last offseason with $32 million guaranteed and $12.2 million per year. Haynesworth made it clear he's looking to get paid.

The team already made an offer to turn a guy who had freakish athletic ability, but whose attitude and motivation were a question mark, the highest paid defensive player in the game.

Do they turn around and make that same offer to a player with a similar profile?

He seems very injury prone.

Not as much in previous years as early on, though he did get injured just prior to this year's playoffs.

I think his being stomp-on-the-head-of-a-guy-not-wearing-a-helmet prone is a bigger concern for some folks.

Me? I'm iffy about Haynesworth on a lot of fronts.

Not as much in previous years as early on, though he did get injured just prior to this year's playoffs.

I think his being stomp-on-the-head-of-a-guy-not-wearing-a-helmet prone is a bigger concern for some.

Me? I'm iffy on a lot of fronts.

Oh it's a big iff, but our dline would be 100% better with him on there. Put him and Kemo in there and switch Kemo/Lewis for passing/run plays. It would give us more options on the DE sides. I don't see it happening though.

I'd be willing to give him a substantial amount of cash, depending on the structure of the contract.

Minimal signing bonus ($6M) and reasonable base salary ($2M/year) with a majority of the money coming through roster bonuses annually. This way, if he DOES turn into a one-year wonder, he can be cut without a long-term hit.

Of course, that depends on how they compute roster bonuses into the cap.

no way do we ever trust that clown with that kind of money. he wants it guaranteed? someone is about to get ripped off.

i sure hope it isn't us.

i don't like him and i don't trust him.

guaranteed money for him is a guaranteed ripoff for some team.

no way do we ever trust that clown with that kind of money. he wants it guaranteed? someone is about to get ripped off.

i sure hope it isn't us.

i don't like him and i don't trust him.

guaranteed money for him is a guaranteed ripoff for some team.

I'm not a fan of guaranteed money to any player, just on general principle.

Guaranteed money to a guy who might be a "contract year warrior"? Huge mistake.

I'm not a fan of guaranteed money to any player, just on general principle.

Guaranteed money to a guy who might be a "contract year warrior"? Huge mistake.

larry johnson and the chiefs is the biggest example that pops into my head.

he put that team over a barrel, raped and pillaged, and then sat on his butt and did nothing.

Archived