• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rivera and Chicago?

Paintballr

It wasn't really a good split, from what I can recall.

Rivera wasn't getting the kind of serious HC attention he'd hoped for, and some folks speculated that it was because people questioned whether it was him or Lovie Smith that was running the defense (apparently some internal squabbling too).

From what I recall, Lovie inherited Rivera and wanted to bring in his own guy - so Chicago let him walk.

Don't think so. they arrived in Chicago the same year (2004). Rivera was the Eagles LB Coach prior to that.

I do recall there was some talk that Smith preferred Babich to Rivera. Babich did end up getting the DC job after they let Rivera walk but this past season he was demoted back to LB coach and Rod Marinelli got the DC job.

rivera wasn't lovie's choice. he wanted his own guy int there. lovie and babich were buddies. rivera and lovie didn't really mesh well. lovie prefered a cover 2 type defense and rivera had a more aggressive and stunt oriented defense. it just wasn't a good fit.

rivera's contract came up for review and lovie took an opportunity to get his own guy in there and then that D went down the toilet. babich got fired.

rivera to san diego as an LB coach? probably about the only thing that was available at the time, but in the long run it worked out for him. he turned that defense around in a big way.

Archived