• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Free Agent signings from the last 4 years

R0CKnR0LLA

Starters are in bold. I didn't bother including guys that were let go during roster cuts and/or signed to the practice squad. Probably missed a few but here's what I found.

Jason Williams (2 starts)

Thomas Williams

Wallace Wright

Marcus Hudson

David Clowney

Rhys Lloyd

Abdul Hodge

Derek Landri (16 starts, still with team)

Hollis Thomas (13 starts, out of football 2010)

Kenny Moore (1 start, cut 2010)

A.J. Feeley (left for Rams 2010)

Jordan Senn

Tyler Brayton (45 starts, resigned through 2012)

Keydrick Vincent (30 starts, out of football 2010)

Muhsin Muhammad (28 starts, retired 2010)

Landon Johnson (3 starts, cut 2010)

D.J. Hackett (2 starts, cut 2009)

Darwin Walker (2 starts, out of football 2009)

Mark Jones (left for Titans 2009, out of football 2010)

Deke Cooper (15 starts, out of football 2008)

Vinny Testaverde (6 starts, retired 2008)

David Carr (4 starts, cut 2008)

Marquand Manuel (2 starts)

Frank Omiyale (1 start in 2008, left for Chicago 2009)

Rhys Lloyd (STer through 2009, left for Vikings 2010)

Dante Wesley (STer through 2009, left for Detroit 2010)

Curtis Deloatch (cut 2008)

Travis Taylor (cut 2008)

:skep:

No good free agent signings in that time period and not a single playoff victory in that time period either. Very interesting, thanks.

I wonder if Richardson is cheaper than we all think he is. We've been led to believe that this is CBA-driven, but did he really start going cheap a full 4 years before the CBA expired?

No good free agent signings in that time period and not a single playoff victory in that time period either. Very interesting, thanks.

I wonder if Richardson is cheaper than we all think he is. We've been led to believe that this is CBA-driven, but did he really start going cheap a full 4 years before the CBA expired?

the Panthers want to draft & develop players & use free agency as means to supplement their roster. i see them only going after middle market free agents or older veterans with tread still left, the only people they will pay big are their own free agents much like the steelers do

I think it was Moose who said on the Frank and Moose show that you've been able to see the writing on the wall (cheapness due to CBA) for years now. So yeah, being that JR is the main man in terms of the CBA he may indeed have been slowly planning a way to ease in to it and out of it.

*Sigh...*

What they went on to do means nothing... (not in regards to the point your trying to illustrate anyways)

Besides the obvious good signings like Moose, Brayton,and Vincent, you've also got guys on there Landon Johnson who had racked up over 100 tackles the previous season with Cincy, or DJ Hackett who was considered to be one of the top Receivers on the market.

Your entire argument is based on hindsight.

Youre trying to make the point that we haven't signed any "big-name" Free Agents by using hindsight as the basis for it.

Remember when everyone here was screaming for Ken Hamlin?

You'dve thought he was the 2nd coming of Ed Reed or something.

But he had a mediocre short career in Dallas and didn't turn out to be anything special.

This team has made quality signings and signed players who were hot on the market at time time.. The coaching staff's inability to get these players involved in their system can't be attributed to ownership.

This post would've been a lot more informative if you had looked at the Free Agent classes of other teams and seen which teams went on to have major success from those classes MEANWHILE factoring in our needs at the time.

Instead, you did this..

I think we went gun shy after we paid a load to Hartwig. Seemed after that year we just said fug paying FA players.

I had thought we were pretty much capped by 2008, and the team was basically the best our FO really wanted... then in 2009 they said, "Jake's game was just a blip, he's not like that... Reload, we got this" and it exploded in our faces.

I may be wrong but I always thought we made decent splashes in FA, they just never turned out as well as our own drafted talent.

WR is an area we have had trouble with for a long while though.

Keydrick Vincent is only out of football because of injury tho I thought. Anyway, not a big deal.

We'll see what JR is really after this offseason. I don't expect huge spending but I do expect good veteran acquisitions in areas of need of depth, like the lines.

Archived