• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Missouri Fans perspective on Gabbert

unicar15

gabbert was in SOME top 5s before Luck dropped out of the race. After the combine he could be higher.

He could also fall quite far.

A lot will depend on what pro scouts say.

Todd McShay is VERY high on him. McShay was the ESPN scout who hated Clausen, fyi, and said he didn't have sound mechanics and was a terrible leader. Doubted his intangibles. Said Clausen was a 2nd round talent.

Bad argument. Always was, always will be. You don't have to be a scout to have knowledgeable opinions.

So I should believe what everyone on here says over a pro scout? Give me a break, there is a reason they get paid to say what they say and we sit here and post poo on a message board. Everyone can have an opinion, yes, but taking that opinion over someone who gets paid to do it, NAH.

Gabbart is not worth #1, No QB in this draft is worth it. Now will they be worth it looking back 5 years from now? Yeah its entirely possible, but right now, no way in hell. As for as Gabbart himself, Don't like him. Can't read but more than 1/2 of the field, only put up 16 TD's in a spread offense. I just dont like his decision making at the College level.

I agree. I just dont see how you think a spread guy with low TDs and poor pressure reads is worth #1. If your going to judge every other QB on these things why does it not apply to Gabbart?

100% on target here.

gabbert was #20 on the big board toward the end of the season before bowl season rolled around. he was behind mallett and locker. since then, he went up to #15 or 16 i think it was and when luck didn't declare he is now at 8.

he's still a first round talent, just not top 10 any other year.

So I should believe what everyone on here says over a pro scout? Give me a break, there is a reason they get paid to say what they say and we sit here and post poo on a message board. Everyone can have an opinion, yes, but taking that opinion over someone who gets paid to do it, NAH.

You don't know everyone's credentials on here and there are some people who do get paid to write about football and coach football so just be careful ( I am neither).

Also, it's business for those guys. Mel Kiper had Jimmy Clausen 4th when no one else did because they paid him to have him 4th. There are countless stories of this happening so I won't bore you with those but I can if you want me to.

A lot of scouts are scared to go against the grain for fear that they will be the one who missed the sure thing. If someone says JaMarcus would bust and he turns out to be a God, the scout likely loses his job because everyone else knew JaMarcus would be a God.

Finally, any opinion with sufficient reason and thought should be taken seriously and given it's proper due. Most people here don't have real opinions so when you find someone who puts time and reason into their post, appreciate it and if you disagree then debate it with counter arguments and examples not "But McShay said he's better!!!!1eleven!!"

gabbert was #20 on the big board toward the end of the season before bowl season rolled around. he was behind mallett and locker. since then, he went up to #15 or 16 i think it was and when luck didn't declare he is now at 8.

he's still a first round talent, just not top 10 any other year.

that's just your opinion and is not necessarily substantiated by anything. At the start of the season, Locker was ahead of Luck and that didn't exactly immediately disappear on the big board. Of course, for a guy who had only played a year of football (though he was a HUGELY sought recruit going in), his junior season is obviously going to drive his draft stock up or down. Since he finished the year in a mediocre fashion his stock didn't go up until his bowl game showed something.

McShay had Gabbert pretty high all year. In his top 5 before Luck poofed, Gabbert was there at #5 going to the Cardinals. He is REALLY high on this guy.

Gabbert's bowl game pushed him from mid round to top of the QB class (behind Luck, but ahead of Locker/Mallett). As scouts watched more footage, a lot of them began to like him which pushed him up the rankings.

Combine will only make him go higher.

If we somehow got him, I wouldn't want him starting next year before VERY late in the season. He is still raw.

that's just your opinion and is not necessarily substantiated by anything. At the start of the season, Locker was ahead of Luck and that didn't exactly immediately disappear on the big board. Of course, for a guy who had only played a year of football (though he was a HUGELY sought recruit going in), his junior season is obviously going to drive his draft stock up or down. Since he finished the year in a mediocre fashion his stock didn't go up until his bowl game showed something.

McShay had Gabbert pretty high all year. In his top 5 before Luck poofed, Gabbert was there at #5 going to the Cardinals. He is REALLY high on this guy.

Gabbert's bowl game pushed him from mid round to top of the QB class. As scouts watched more footage, a lot of them began to like him which pushed him up the rankings.

Combine will only make him go higher.

If we somehow got him, I wouldn't want him starting next year before VERY late in the season. He is still raw.

no andrew luck going back to school did.

no andrew luck going back to school did.

Top was the wrong word. 2nd is better. Obviously he was still behind Luck, but it was in reference to him being behind Locker and Mallett at the start of the season. I'll edit it for you to avoid confusion.

He was #5 in a McShay mock on the third, before Luck said he was staying in school.

Only reason I bring up McShay is because people on this forum like to say "GABBERT SUCKS!! Only after Luck declared did anyone hear about him!!", but that's not true. His combination of measurables and intangibles makes him really attractive to an NFL team.

Top was the wrong word. 2nd is better. Obviously he was still behind Luck, but it was in reference to him being behind Locker and Mallett at the start of the season. I'll edit it for you to avoid confusion.

He was #5 in a McShay mock on the third, before Luck said he was staying in school.

Only reason I bring up McShay is because people on this forum like to say "GABBERT SUCKS!! Only after Luck declared did anyone hear about him!!", but that's not true. His combination of measurables and intangibles makes him really attractive to an NFL team.

agree to disagree then. I just think that the difference between luck and any other QB is substantial. Since luck was the consensus #1 overall, everyone jumped ahead a space, and the QB's behind him jumped up a few more due to the lack of a clear favorite between them all.

agree to disagree then. I just think that the difference between luck and any other QB is substantial. Since luck was the consensus #1 overall, everyone jumped ahead a space, and the QB's behind him jumped up a few more due to the lack of a clear favorite between them all.

he was the consensus #1 overall, but the way scouts are hyping Luck...

If a draft happened once a decade he still might be the consensus #1.

I think that skews peoples ideas of what "value at #1" is.

that maybe, but the knocks on him are not worthy to make him the top qb.

Archived