• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A good and fair article about 1st round QB's

teeray

Good write up on drafting QB's in the first round. Doesn't really take a side just puts it out there. This was written leading up to last year's draft but it just as easily could be about this year.

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/04/22/the-fear-of-the-quarterback-draft-bust/

I will highlight only one part that I really agree with,

* Many teams claim that they will wait until the second or third round to get their quarterback of the future. However, that strategy rarely appears to work. Only five teams – the Bills (assuming Trent Edwards is their starter), Dolphins, Patriots, Jaguars, and Eagles – will enter the season with a quarterback they selected after the first round.

Again this was prior to last year's draft

They weren't taken in the first, which is the whole point of the article.

The point of that particular stat was to demonstrate that while there is a high degree of risk drafting a QB in the first round, teams haven't had much success drafting QBs in other rounds. Brees and Hasselbeck don't play for the teams that drafted them. Romo and Moore weren't drafted.

So if you include those Qbs in the discussion, teams have had success finding QBs in the first round and through trades or FA (including undrafted FA), but rarely find successful QBs in rounds 2-7 (with Brady being the obvious exception).

But if you look at all 32 starting QBs, there are only 5 or 6's QBs drafted past the first round that start for the team that drafted them. Of those guys, the only one with much success is Brady. So the point still stands, draft a QB in the first round or find one outside of the draft.

I get that, but they're bending the criteria to make their point. If you're going to do this type of comparison then look at all 32 starting QB's, not just the ones that fit your argument.

This.

All I take from this is that teams will give up on QBs who do not have the financial burden of the 1st round sooner than those that do. There are several teams who have had great success picking up FAs, UDFAs and trading for back ups.

Yes the 1st round is the obvious place to pick up a quality QB, however teams often stick by their under performing 1st round QB much longer than they should. Like-wise later round QBs who weren't progressing as quickly with their first team were ditched in favour of a 1st rounder.

People expect success straight away, it rarely happens, so the $$$ dictates what happens next.

Archived