• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So, who's side are you on now?

Skew

The proposal we made included an offer to narrow the player compensation gap that existed in the negotiations by splitting the difference; guarantee a reallocation of savings from first-round rookies to veterans and retirees without negatively affecting compensation for rounds 2-7; no compensation reduction for veterans; implement new year-round health and safety rules; retain the current 16-4 season format for at least two years with any subsequent changes subject to the approval of the league and union; and establish a new legacy fund for retired players ($82 million contributed by the owners over the next two years).

It was a deal that offered compromise, and would have ensured the well-being of our players and guaranteed the long-term future for the fans of the great game we all love so much. It was a deal where everyone would prosper.

I still want to see the owners come out on top, because I think it would be best for the game as a whole.

But, the owners brought this on themselves by signing off on a CBA with an unprecedented amount of revenue going to the players. And by not realizing, when giving the players that much, that the union would never willingly give back a cent of that. And by not having the foresight to see that, if the economy were to tank, they would have to start footing the bill for their opulent new stadiums.

If you really want someone to blame in all this, may I suggest Paul Tagliabue.

He pushed this deal hard to the owners. He knew he was about to retire, and wanted to protect his legacy of labor peace. Upshaw knew this, and rightfully went for as much as he could get. The owners were idiots for agreeing to it, but it was Tagliabue who negotiated and brokered this deal.

Don't really have a side.

I know this, the players have no business seeing the books of each of the 32 teams.

That would be like me asking to see the books for the company I work for, and then demanding a new pay wage based on that.

They don't need to see anything more than they have.

It's als clear to me the players union never intended to stay in good faith. they were going to decertify regardless.

The owns are making more than a fair offer.

Either way...I just want to see them come to a resolution before mid july...as it's clear there won't be one before the draft.

Archived