• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

All Signs Point to Newton as Panthers' #1

Catalyst

Where in this article do you see a single source cited?

This is all Sorenson.

Dude Scot, you are in denial the likes that I have never seen. Every time there is something about Cam on here that is positive or is evidence that he will possibly be our pick you immediately shoot it down, or down play it, or call it a smoke screen, or explain it away as due diligence, and now you have resorted to saying Tom Sorensen is just making stuff up.

I don't think anyone on here thinks Newton is a lock (well most of us don't), but for some reason you are constantly trying to convince yourself that all this interest means nothing, is fabricated by journalists, or is just a bluff.

Just deal with it. You may have your wish and we trade down or go in a different direction like PP or Gabbert.

But your constant theories to try and convince yourself that that Panthers aren't at least seriously considering this guy as the pick is fooling no one but yourself.

Dude Scot, you are in denial the likes that I have never seen. Every time there is something about Cam on here that is positive or is evidence that he will possibly be our pick you immediately shoot it down, or down play it, or call it a smoke screen, or explain it away as due diligence, and now you have resorted to saying Tom Sorensen is just making stuff up.

I don't think anyone on here thinks Newton is a lock (well most of us don't), but for some reason you are constantly trying to convince yourself that all this interest means nothing, is fabricated by journalists, or is just a bluff.

Just deal with it. You may have your wish and we trade down or go in a different direction like PP or Gabbert.

But your constant theories to try and convince yourself that that Panthers aren't at least seriously considering this guy as the pick is fooling no one but yourself.

Teeray, It's a smokescreen :D

He's a Newton fan deep down but he as an image here to uphold.

Again, I wasn't talking about this particular article. I meant in general - all the reports of meetings/dinner/workouts with Newton. I agree this article is speculation.

Wrong again, guys.

Ask yourself a simple question here: Is there actually anything new on this front today, or is this just someone rehashing and putting his spin on what we already know?

Sorenson chimes in with speculation based on stuff that we already knew (pro day, private workout, interviews, etc) and someone comes along treating it like it's "mounting evidence". It's not. It's just someone else chiming in on stuff that we already knew was happening.

It gets the bandwagon excited because it's what they want to hear, but is it new info? No, it's not. I get that you guys don't like to hear anything that questions what you're so excited about, but that's reality.

The Panthers are going through the process of scouting their potential first rounders, as well they should. As I've said before, it's not a "smokescreen" until the decision is made, and no one who knows anything about Marty Hurney should believe that the decision is made until he has all the evidence in (which, at this point, he doesn't).

Could the Panthers take Newton? Sure. I don't believe they should, but they could.

But if you think that's a lock right now, with six weeks yet to go and other prospects yet to be scouted, you're deluding yourself.

Do you guys ever get tired of Cam Newton threads? What's left to discuss?

You would be correct, save for one thing...

There are people, like some people posting in this thread, who are so horrified that we might be considering taking Newton, they are waging a spin campaign against him.

It's kind of sad really.

But members of the Newton crowd never knock other guys - Blaine Gabbert, for example - in threads about them, right? :frown2:

I can't say I've seen anywhere near the level of "spin" as I have "frenzy".

Guys get themselves all whipped into a "woohoo, we're taking Newton" frenzy every time something positive comes out, even if it's not really anything new but just a rehash.

Others of us sit back and say "maybe...maybe not" or "I'm not so sure about this" and get attacked for it :rolleyes:

Sorry to dampen the celebration guys, but the reality is it might not happen.

And like I said elsewhere, we don't have anything personal against the kid. We just don't believe he's the best choice for the number one pick. And there are perfectly valid, non-emotional reasons to believe that.

Wrong again, guys.

Ask yourself a simple question here: Is there actually anything new on this front today, or is this just someone rehashing and putting his spin on what we already know?

Sorenson chimes in with speculation based on stuff that we already knew (pro day, private workout, interviews, etc) and someone comes along treating it like it's "mounting evidence". It's not. It's just someone else chiming in on stuff that we already knew was happening.

It gets the bandwagon excited because it's what they want to hear, but is it new info? No, it's not. I get that you guys don't like to hear anything that questions what you're so excited about, but that's reality.

The Panthers are going through the process of scouting their potential first rounders, as well they should. As I've said before, it's not a "smokescreen" until the decision is made, and no one who knows anything about Marty Hurney should believe that the decision is made until he has all the evidence in (which, at this point, he doesn't).

Could the Panthers take Newton? Sure. I don't believe they should, but they could.

But if you think that's a lock right now, with six weeks yet to go and other prospects yet to be scouted, you're deluding yourself.

Yes there is some new stuff in there. For instance point me to another article that discusses us having a group go to dinner with him last night and having another group have dinner with him tonight? That is something we didn't know. That was fresh news.

Also it isn't just Tom who has gotten this vibe from the Panthers. It is also Scott Fowler and Darin Gantt. In other words EVERYONE that is from the local press and write for the Charlotte Observer has the same vibe from the Panthers.

You act like we pull this sh*t out of thin air. But there is a ton of evidence that it is a strong possibility. Again I think you missed this word earlier. Possibility. Most reasonable people understand that it isn't a lock.

We also don't dismiss everything as a smoke screen, due diligence, or calling journalists liars.

All I am saying is that we are strongly considering it. As we should.

I can't say I've seen anywhere near the level of "spin" as I have "frenzy".

Guys get themselves all whipped into a "woohoo, we're taking Newton" frenzy every time something positive comes out, even if it's not really anything new but just a rehash.

Others of us sit back and say "maybe...maybe not" or "I'm not so sure about this" and get attacked for it :frown2:

Sorry to dampen the celebration guys, but the reality is it might not happen.

And like I said elsewhere, we don't have anything personal against the kid. We just don't believe he's the best choice for the number one pick. And there are perfectly valid, non-emotional reasons to believe that.

I love how you are the only logical, non-emotional person on here. THANK GOD FOR SCOT!! He is the only one emotionally detached enough to educate us stupid Nut Huggers that are throwing a Cam party 6 weeks before the draft.

Most of us have said that it isn't a lock but a serious consideration and Panthers are spending an awful lot of time with one player to this point. The only other guy that has had even a sniff of similar contact is PP7.

But we don't think it is a lock and none of us are having a party.

We just aren't so full of ourselves that we think we know better than the actual beat writers and local press.

We also don't pretend to be smarter of more emotionally detached than everyone else.

Yes there is some new stuff in there. For instance point me to another article that discusses us having a group go to dinner with him last night and having another group have dinner with him tonight? That is something we didn't know. That was fresh news.

Also it isn't just Tom who has gotten this vibe from the Panthers. It is also Scott Fowler and Darin Gantt. In other words EVERYONE that is from the local press and write for the Charlotte Observer has the same vibe from the Panthers.

You act like we pull this sh*t out of thin air. But there is a ton of evidence that it is a strong possibility. Again I think you missed this word earlier. Possibility. Most reasonable people understand that it isn't a lock.

We also don't dismiss everything as a smoke screen, due diligence, or calling journalists liars.

All I am saying is that we are strongly considering it. As we should.

Actually, that's not really new. We already knew the team was going to meet with him privately, as they have - and will - with others. If it's split up, that's as likely logistics as anything else.

Objectively speaking, there's not as much reporting going on when it comes to scouting other guys because Newton is the hot topic.

There's not a "ton of evidence" but there is a "ton of discussion". You have to learn to know the difference.

I'd add that I haven't seen anyone call any of the journalists liars, and as far as smokescreens, try rereading what I said above (smokescreens don't apply until decisions are made).

The thought of taking Newton makes some guys happy. We get it. You don't like it when someone points out that it might not happen. We get that too.

I personally have no emotional connection either way. I just say what I think, and whatever happens I'll go with it.

Archived